1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL HS 51 Ver. Panasonic 700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Murray, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Murray

Murray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone have the new Sony VPL HS 51?
    I have the Panny 700 and was wondering if the Sony was better?
    Thay say its not so bright but the specs say its brighter than the 700 is that true? :lesson:

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Murray, I think it comes down to how you set the projectors up. Having seen both (and now owning the Sony), the only advantage I could see of the Panasonic, was that it did appear brighter. However, if you are watching in light controlled conditions, this should not be a factor.

In all other aspects (contrast, colour, noise, artefacts), I felt the Sony was better

3. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now you've got me worried about the Sony UrbanT! (see my thread)

4. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Urban why so keen to ditch the Hitachi ? Are you a swap out freak... :D

5. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Hi Craig. I did see your thread about light conditions. My honest opinion is that I wouldn't want to watch any of the LCD projectors I have owned or demo'd in daylight, if I was watching a film. For general games and stuff, they all would be OK, but not great. Logic says projectors are best used in dark conditions. The Sony excels when things are dark, if this is never going to happen in your household, I would consider a cheaper alternative, as I don't see how you will get the benefit of a more expensive projector.

If however you are going to watch films at night, with all the curtains closed to make your room as dark as possible, then you will still see the benefit. It just depends what you are going to use it for.

Martian1, I think if you read my posts, you will see that I'm not keen to ditch the Hitachi at all. This is the hobby that I love. I think I've spent enough cash on the sound side, now I want to improve the visual side whenever I can. There won't be another upgrade for a while though ;)

6. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :cool: That's my plan. Its simply that sometimes I don't want to draw the curtains when I'm not that absorbed in what is being fired against the screen :thumbsup: I might invest in a black out blind though as currently I have a rather tatty looking wooden weave blind from Habitat (I can thank my cat for its rapidly aging appearance!).

Its now just a matter of seeing how long I can hold out for one of the cheaper Sony stockists to get some stock of the HS50 in. It looks likes the cheapest sellers who do dead pixel checks are discounttv with £1599 or Gultronics with £1499 (although its not clear whether the Gultronics kit is UK sourced).

7. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I'll pop along to Ikea and get one of these blinds that I've seen mentioned before. My windows is directly behind my viewing sofa and therefore it is cumbersome to reach the blind pulley. If access were easier then I might have considered making up a balckout screen would could be velcroed in place (again, as I've just read from a search!).

Ikea blind: http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...uctId=49066&langId=-20&parentCats=10119*10339

8. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135

9. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sporran, that's very helpful :thumbsup: I think I'll take the plunge and order one from them tomorrow as I can't imagine the price is going to move much further for the foreseeable few months, can it?? :) Now, I need to ask Any at LMP so sort me out with a new ceiling mount PJ plate for it....

10. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Good luck Craig, not sure what delivery will be like as i had to wait a 2 weeks, and i got put "on the list". But he did hope they would have enuff to secure his pre orders and some for stock.

11. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just put my order in with Gultronics. All 8 units on back order are sold and being dispatched today (lucky Sporran!). A further 25 units on back order, hopefully to arrive within the next week or so :)

12. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    ;) i cant wait :D will post with an update. But so far they seem good peeps, keeping you informed etc. And his original time promise held true, so hopefully only a week or so for you.

13. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Murray - Hi :)

I demoed a Sony HS50 and was all set to buy one - it was paid for and almost on its way to me... but then a secondhand AE700 popped up in the hardware classifieds at the right price and I couldn't resist spending £800.00 less :eek:

I wholeheartedly agree with UrbanT - the AE700 is a very good PJ, but the Sony improves on things in all departments that matter to me, mainly picture quality. Everybody's different, with different tolerance levels. Me, I'm pretty picky, so I notice vertical banding and its effects. My wife, on the other hand, would never have noticed it if I hadn't pointed it out to her, and even now it simply doesn't bother her. The vertical banding issue is just about the only thing that in any way bugs me about the Panny, and the Sony simply didn't suffer this problem at all, and that alone would be worth the difference in price ;)

So, in a nutshell, if you're like me and want a really excellent picture and are prepared to pay for the privelage, then I would suggest going for the Sony. If you're more like my wife :D and especially if you can get the AE700 at the right price, then you could very well be content with that!
    All the best,

Mark

14. Salty Seadog

Salty Seadog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony HS50
    Panasonic AE700

Which one?

I only ask this as I’m now looking to get a little more serious by upgrading my Mitsubishi HC3 (which I’ve had a lot of fun with) and 6" screen. I’ll be hooking up the projector to a Samsung HD945 via HDMI cable and splashing out on a larger screen (probably 8”).