1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPL HS-50 and interference problem with audio screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ondrej, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Ondrej

Ondrej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anybody having an experience with the following problem? I´v bought Sony VPL-HS50 and audio screen with diagonal cca 3m. I watch it from a distance about 4,5 m. Everything is beautiful, but... Audio screen is sound transparent and it means, there are millions of small holes, settled in a regular raster with a regular distances between the holes. If the Sony is focused on the screen, the raster or grid of the projector is of the same resolution and size as the raster of the screen. Because both rasters are almost the same, there are big interference strips on all surface of the screen. If I want to avoid it, I have to make the picture smaller by lens and I cannot use the full size of the screen. I am afraid, that this problem is difficult to solve or use different projectors with maybe different raster or use DLP? Would this help? I am hungry for some ideas or experiences, what could help. Thanks

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Sounds like you've got a basic incompatibility issues between you screen and PJ.

Any chances of a piccie. It might help.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Sorry to tell you, but I don't think audio transparent screens are really a good idea with any LCD or DLP projector. :thumbsdow

Even Stewart micro-perforated screens, which have really tiny holes and are THX approved (and phenominally expensive) cause a certain amount of picture distortion from an LCD projector.

Also, I'm sure I've read on here that Stewart themselves will not be advocating the use of their own micro-perforated screens for HiDef material.

The problem, as you are now already aware, is that the tiny pixels that make up the picture from a digital projector can line up with the tiny holes on the screen material..... leading to loss of picture detail and distortion.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    As the others have said it's definitely moire caused by the pixles/holes lining up and you've already found the solution - change the image size. There is a screen material that doesn't rely on holes as it's weaved, and so doesn't suffer from that problem. I can't remember who makes it though. Da-Lite maybe? Try a search and see what comes up.

Gary.