Sony VPL ES2 + PS3 - Real picture quality?

A

autonomy

Hello,

Can anyone give me a true indication of just how much improvement in picture quality a Blu Ray PS3 image will be using an older Sony VPL ES2 LCD front projector?

It can handle 720p and 1080i - but will there be a significant picture quality improvement with a Blu Ray movie over a normal DVD using this projector?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Auto

That projector has a 800x600 panel, so it's not actually capable of displaying all the detail in a normal widescreen PAL DVD. HD sources will look a little better than DVD still, brighter cleaner colours and very clean image I'd have thought. But it won't be 'high def' in any shape or form.

Also I don't know if this projector has HDMI/DVI and HDCP (doubt it?) so there's a good chance you won't be able to connect it to a PS3 for BluRay.

autonomy said:
Hello,
will there be a significant picture quality improvement with a Blu Ray movie over a normal DVD using this projector?

er no. From what i've heard. The Bluray movies coming out at the mo only look slightly better then the superbit DVD version. Maybe you should try HD-DVD :D

But seriously, your PJ is only 800 x 600 so doesn't have enough resolution to display proper anamorphic PAL DVD which when projected needs a resolution of 1024 x 576 let alone 1080i material that you get from BD. So you won't notice any difference in clarity or resolution. You may see some benefit in colour but because your PJ is only 350:1 contrast ratio, I would count on it.

Basically I would say that you won't see any benefit with BD movies on your PJ. Time to upgrade I think.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom