Sony VPL CX21 Projector - Suitable for Home Cinema?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by stvward, Jul 3, 2015.

1. stvward

stvward
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am a newbie and was hoping that you guys could advise me please? I have the opportunity to buy a used Sony VPL CX21 Projector and was wondering if anyone on the forum uses this model as a home cinema projector. I have researched this and can't find any direct answer to this. I do notice that the user guide refers to one of the presets on the projector as 'cinema' but despite that I would like to take the views of much more experienced 'Home Cinema' experts as this is my 1st effort in the creation of a cinema (on a fairly tight budget) in my old house in Scotland. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

2. Steve Armitage

Steve Armitage
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use one for streaming Amazon Prime movies from PC and it works really well. I'm also looking to connect to its AV input but don't have the (proprietary, I think) video lead, trying to source one.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Used Projectors (esp the Multimedia variety) can be very hit or miss.

How much?, How old? How many hours on the current lamp? How many Lamps has it had? How much is a replacement Lamp? Have you seen it in action (it's colour filters could be 'gubbed')?

For a modern Home Cinema projector it pretty much lacks everything you would want in terms of connectivity and is pretty limited in signal compatibility too!

What Source devices are you looking to use and will you have an AVR?

What size image are you aiming for and what distance from the Projector to the screen surface?

Joe