Sony VPL-CX1 Yellow Spot Problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dsr99, May 7, 2002.

1. dsr99

dsr99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My VPL-CX1 has started showing a large yellow blob in the middle of the viewing area.

I've read other people here saying that it's caused by insufficient airflow when the stands aren't fully extended - but mines been used properly all the time (it doesn't line up properly with my screen if I don't extend the stands fully).

Is it possible to sort this out myself or shall I take it back?

Thanks

Dave

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have the same projector, and like you say the yellow blob occurs when the panel is too hot. I presume you've been cleaning the filter every 300 hours? . The filter is the rough white material in the small compartment on the bottom of the projector next to the fan, and after a while it may even need replacing with the spare you got with the projector.

You could also do my suggestion and use a duster buster to blow out the fan/filter with compressed air, just in case some dust has settled there.

If all else fails then use the warranty cover :). Let us know how you get on anyway.

James

3. dsr99

dsr99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks James

Its only done about 180 hours - thats why I was getting worried.

The yellow blob seems to have gotten darker over the last few weeks.

I'll have a check of the filter when I get in - but if that doesn't clear it, I'll give Sony a call.

I've got a few dead pixels as well - maybe they can help with those as well :)

Dave

4. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got a yellow blob on my Sanyo PLV30, which started off mild and about only the middle 15% of the screen, but slowly darkened and got larger. First noticed at around 1500 hours.

Its in repair shop now, and having a new LCD panel fitted (dont know which one), but as it has 10 year warranty, it isn't a big deal, I just hope it doesn't keep happening.

5. dsr99

dsr99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took your advice James and cleaned the bottom filter out.

Although its only done 180ish hours - the filter was really full of dust.

After cleaning it, I watched a film all the way through and I'm pleased to report that the blob has now gone!!!!

Thanks for your help guys.

Dave