Sony VPL-CX1: Tweaking to get the best picture?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jrwood, Nov 12, 2001.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam I tried your settings and on dark scenes the detail still was'nt quite there, although your setup (graphics card/screen maybe different to mine!). Anyway I went back to my settings and dark scenes look amazing although I must admit the brightness setting is a tad weird ;)

Try these settings and watch chapter 2 of Gladiator DVD as an example or any other dark scenes (The Mummy 2 start is a great example too when they are in those caves..).

Contrast: 73 (although just changed that to 70 now)
    Brightness: 94
    Gamma: Graphics (is this what you mean by 'sharp?' - I find that setting gamma to graphics shows more detail in dark scenes..)

Service menu (ENTER,ENTER,UP,DOWN,ENTER then UP )

Gain: Red=80 Green=75 Blue=73
    Bias: Red=112 Green=105 Blue=108

I have'nt spent much time tweaking so I`m sure we can get even better results by more tweaking! but standing back and watching those settings on this cheap projector on an ATI HTPC projected on to a piece of MDF painted with ICESTORM paint sure beats the TV!

Also I've found that you can also get into another service menu by pressing enter/enter/left/enter then UP quickly. However I dont know what these settings are so I suggest everyone leaves them alone!

I`m sure we can tweak this baby even further though!. Any comments?!

James

DISCLAIMER: Always write down and keep your old settings in a safe place. However the VPL-CX1 projector only saves the changes if you explicitly tell it to do so! by clicking on 'Save to Memory'.

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to mention Sam, I noticed that the 'Sharp' setting is only available when your using the 'svideo' input. If you can get your hands on a PC with DVD drive then I highly suggest you plugging it into the projector via its D-SUB connector and seeing what a fantastic picture is produced by a HTPC.

These days a second pc is pretty cheap, I use my old PC which is a dual p3-550mhz (single p3 is fine though) with just heatsinks and no fans and you can hardly hear it whatsoever in the living room (my vcr makes much more noise!).

Anyway try it with a PC I think you will agree the picture is amazing especially when you see www.dscaler.org in action with a WinTV card!.

James

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump :clown:

Did any CX1 users try my settings ?

James

4. SoftLion

SoftLion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But they don't fit for me.

I like to know where to get the special paint
    for the screen. I can't find the one you said in
    another thread...

5. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just pop into a B&Q DIY store and they will mix it for you. I used Deluxe ICESTORM 5 I think (have a look at my other posts about this). I think someone used ICESTORM 4 for a high lumen projector but I wouldnt go lower than 5 imho.

James

p.s if your B&Q is like my one its best to ask someone as B&Q have a habit of having no staff around the paint mixing department ;)

6. SoftLion

SoftLion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is that I live in France
    and there is nowhere a B&Q to be seen ...
    They have equivalent stores but no
    "ICESTORM" paint.

Maybe you know a shopping web site for this paint ?
    I've had no luck at the B&Q web site.

:confused:

B.

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Well the IceStorm colour by Dulux (www.dulux.com ?) is'nt available in the usual paint cans but you have to ask a DIY store which sells the range of dulux products to mix it for you.

They usually have a chart of about 800 shades of different colours called various names so if you know any stores which sell the Dulux range then if they have a chart of custom colours ICESTORM if I remember correctly was in the bottom right hand corner of the colour chart.

It might be worth emailing Dulux France and asking them who sells it in France at a store near you. They probably have an email address but they have a contact form http://www.duluxvalentine.com/dFinity/france/1QJiclojbdh7jimedcanhlcmhcljol9fd.html there so its worth asking.

HTH (hope that helped)
    James

p.s when they mix it and say is that ok? (ICESTORM 5 is like a very pale grey paint!) it looks white in the can but once you paint it onto some nice cheap MDF and then compare it to a white wall its amazing the difference! (and the blacks!).

8. SoftLion

SoftLion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is a "MDF" ?

Thxs,
    b.

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,999
    Medium Density Fibreboard. It's a construction material sold in sheets rather like hardboard, but less liable to warp.