Sony VPl-CX1 banding problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peewee2, Jan 8, 2002.

1. peewee2

peewee2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As previously discussed in this forum, the vpl-cx1 has had problems (on some projectors) with vertical banding problems regardless of the input source e.g s-video, component, RGB connection via the 15 pin D-SUB.

Although, after reading that this maybe an issue, I managed to find (probably the last one available) a CX1 for sale and bought it for a good price.

Unfortunately, brand new and straight out of the box, I immediately saw the vertical bands on the screen and no matter what I did, it was still there. I contacted the sony prime support helpline (01256 683 850) and explained the problem.

After several e-mails, they informed me that the bands should not be there. More importantly, that there "maybe a problem with either the optical prism block or video board maybe faulty".

I only had the projector for four days and because of its age, it was classified as "dead on arrival" and I obtained a full refund from PCworld with no problems.

Sorry, for the lengthy post, but I felt that since it has been an issue for some people, then at least they are aware that it maybe a problem with the projector itself. As you already know, it is now a discontinued model.

The search goes on for an affordable first time projector!!

2. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm one of those unlucky b*tards that have a CX1 with the offending banding and this is the first solid confirmation that the unit IS at fault.

The trouble is that I bought mine about 3 months ago from PC world and have a feeling I might have problems if I try to return it.

What PC World store did you buy yours from? It might be useful if I could use your experience to back me up (if that's alright with you).

What conclusion did you get to with Sony Prime Support? Did they offer to replace/repair the unit?

Cheers

3. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You shouldn't have any problems returning it at all

6 month guarentee is your statutory right - if the unit is faulty.

I'm lucky mine works perfectly.

4. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I feel a bit more confident about going in to get my money back now!

BTW I notice that you live in London, is there any chance that I could pop round and see what a CX1 that is working properly SHOULD look like?

Cheers

5. peewee2

peewee2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the projector was only four days old, Sony advised me to return it and mention that it was "dead on arrival" (or DOA as the manager at PCworld described it; I guess I wasn't the first person to have returned one).

I had no problems returning it and received a refund. Sony didn't make any reference to having the unit repaired. I presume this has something to do with the fact the model is discontinued and spare parts are probably thin on the ground.

I suggest that it may be prudent to contact Sony direct (by e-mail) and explain the symtoms plus give them details of your setup i.e. what type of connections are made to the projector(s-video, component, 15pin Dsub) and explain that the problem is visible on all inputs and there is no way to "tweak" the settings by altering contrast settings, brightness etc.

For information, the projector had ROM version 1.02, so I don't think it is firmware related.

Good luck!

P.S I should add that Sony sent me the the brochure for the HS1 projector and that I maybe interested in this as an alternative. A "nice" gesture!

6. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sam

I actually live in Chelmsford and work in London.

But if you want too travel to see it - I don't mind.

Send me an e-mail

John

7. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I contacted Sony about the PJ and they're TNTing a loan unit to me tomorrow (from Holland!?) and taking mine back to look at.

One phone call, zero hassel - that's the sort of customer service we like!!

Hope I'm not speaking too soon.

I figured that was a better option than getting into a slanging match with PC World (and besides the thought of living without my big screen entertainment was making my palms sweat :D ).

8. johna

johna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Wow

must be thier pay day!

9. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have the GAIN/BIAS default settings.

I want to reset them (I've been tweeking) before Sony pick up the unit. I did write them down but now I can't remember where I put the envelope :blush: !

10. peewee2

peewee2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam,

I have to agree with you in relation to sony customer services. They are probably one of the best and the option of a loan machine without any fuss has got to be a selling factor with sony projector's.

I hope everything works out. Please keep the forum members informed of the progress.

11. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah mine still works fine too, never seen any banding and very pleased with it still :). You probably read my other posts but just as a reminder I borroewed an infocus lp 350? I think about a month ago and the quality was not much different in fact I preferred the Sony in some respects , it was more reliable.

Good luck swapping the projector I have'nt seen any projector which is reliable at this price anywhere.

James

p.s I had a look for the default settings earlier but could'nt find the notepad I wrote them on doh! - if I come accross it tomorrow Ill post them ok.

12. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took a photo of the offending banding and emailed it to Sony PrimeSupport.

They contacted me to say that they recognised this as a 'green channel V-Com adjustment problem' :confused: and they will be able to fix it.

They are picking up my CX1 on Monday, so fingers crossed.

I'll let you know the outcome.

Incidently they replacement loan unit they sent me was a CS1 - and the banding is even worse :rolleyes: