1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony vpl-cs2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timh, Feb 2, 2001.

1. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi all
    I know your all talking about the Toshiba and the Sanyo, what about the new one from sony, the vpl-cs2, it's got 600 Ansi Lumens and 600 tv lines.All for about £2000.
    Anyone knpw what this projector is like.

cheers
    Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware its more for Data projection than being any good for video.
    But I shall check it out.

3. watsoma

watsoma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was reviewed in the Feb edition of Home Entertainment - got the Best Buy award even though it was up against projectors in the £4,000 - £6,000 proce range.

I'm going to see one in the next day or two to see if it lives up to the review.....

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I looked at this one and it was a data projector all the way. A portable for reps. No contrast, poor blacks, data presentation only. A local rep had just bought one so we had a play with it. I didn't spend too long with it and no tweaking but I was not impressed. Can't understand why it won HE award for DVD / video. A poor round up of projectors from HE. The three most talked about projectors for home entertainment are currently the Toshiba, Sim2 and the Sanyo. Only one of the three was present! Beyond me to explain or have I made a mistake?

Can anyone give me a contrast ratio fro this baby?

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    To Watsoma
    Let me know what you think of it, and what screen they are using with it.

cheers
    Tim

------------------
    Perhap's today is a good day yo die

6. ptmbradley

ptmbradley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any (little) respect I had for HE has gone after they stated in more than one place in their projector roundup that the HT200 is an LCD projector!

It's been a while since I bought that mag, and it'll be even longer till next time!! [​IMG]

7. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic

I've come across a PC Magazine report on the VPL-CS1 which appears to have the same spec. as the CS2, which states:

"On our tests, the screen variance index was an attractive 1.30, but the brightness was just 434 lumens, with a contrast ratio of only 87:1.only". Say no more!!

I do have to own up to actually buying a CS1 last year as a "cheap" introduction to Home Cinema. With my newcomers view, it stood out head and shoulders above the few other similarly priced projectors I had seen. I totally agree however that it's absolutely ludicrous to rate it higher than the likes of the HT200 and I've totally lost any faith I had in the Home Entertainment reviews.

Anyway as a result of this purchase I'm now hooked on HC and was looking to upgrade to an HT200 and a Grayhawk However, having read all the recent correspondence on the Sanyo PLV30, PLV60 etc. I'm back to the drawing board again and like others it's all starting to do my head in!

Phil

8. PhilA

PhilA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tim

There's a comparative review on the vpl-cs1 (I think it's similar to the cs2 but you will need to check) at:
    http://www.phpcom.com/pages/prorev2.htm

Phil