Sony Vpl 400 qm

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mal, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Mal

Mal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have any views on this projecter, i am considering buying one second hand. i have read that they can be quite noisy and can suffer dead pixels. anyone who has had the oppertunity to examine this one and compare it, your comments and findings would be appreciated before i decide.
    i appreciate it is old but i have to start somewhere

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,013
    Picture quality overall - very good convergence, geometry, stability, brightness. Down-side is "poor" black levels - a feature of all LCD devices to a greater or lesser degree - but in my experience you do get accustomed to it.

Noise - yes, the fan noise is quite intrusive on quiet scenes. You can get devices for silencing it.

Dead pixels - it may suffer from this. However, they don't fail in use; if they are going to fail, it will be from new, so if you can see B4 U buy, and there aren't any - you'll be OK. Watch for tiny bright pinpricks (either red, green or blue) on black images.

Other possible problems you don't mention:
    * green fog (black areas take on a green tint). Again, a problem from new that won't change with age.
    * dust ingress - causes diffused blobs of colour to appear in the picture. Can be remedied by blowing the optics clean with an engineer's aerosol blower

Take a look at www.thebigpicturedvd.com where you'll find a forum dedicated to this machine.

You didn't say how much you expected to pay. New ones were selling for under £3k, I think, just before they went out of production. For second hand, depending on how long the bulb has been used for, I'd suggest you shouldn't pay more than about £1.5k. You certainly won't get anything new that comes close at this sort of price.

[This message has been edited by nigel (edited 01-02-2001).]

3. Mal

Mal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel, thanks for the info, the price is 1.5k. I will view it and take into account your bits n pieces.

4. GarryF

GarryF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I would expect the new Sanyo to be a much better deal at around or under £2000. It should be close to the latest Sony 10HT which succeeded the 400.

You would also get all the benefits of a new machine like warranty etc. Have a look at some of the other posts in this forum, I noticed on one that Gordon from Stereo Stereo will be posting how it compares to the sony 10HT soon.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (original reply by Nigel)
    Noise - yes, the fan noise is quite intrusive on quiet scenes. You can get devices for silencing it.

What sort of devices do you refer to?

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,013
    Don't know details. I recall reading of them in the forum I referred to in my earlier post. Suggest you take a little time to search in there. But, if I remember right, it's a device which ports the fan exhaust through some sort of silencer. The forum cabn be found at
    www.thebigpicturedvd.com