Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony VPL-10HS DVI to VGA

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lynchpin, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Lynchpin

Lynchpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just got a VPL10HS as an upgrade from a PT100 and I want to connect my iScan V3 to it rather than using S-Video although I'm not keen at all on giving Mr Sony about £100 for a simple lead, unless there's something i don't know.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the UK that I can get an adaptor to fit the bill or a lead at a sensible price?

Thanks

K.

2. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Welcome to the forum :hiya:

For a DVI lead check this out

Conor

3. Lynchpin

Lynchpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for welcome Comer :)

Yup I saw that and i've kinda sussed that there seems to be no alternative to the Sony lead which seems a tad expensive for all it is. :thumbsdow

Nil points for Sony not including that in the box. Still I suppose I can live with S-Video for a few days until i can lay my hands on a suitable lead.

However on reading through many of the past threads on the subject there seems to be two different ways to get a signal in from a scaler/line-doubler, either the Sony VGA breakout lead or a VGA to component lead (which i can't find!) to give component into the PJ. To be honest I'm not sure which is the best way or indeed if there is a best way to achieve it. I'm not even sure that using the iScan will make much difference really!:confused:

ATM, the projector is fed from a Pioneer VSA-AX10 amp for all sources, DVD, TiVo, VCR, DVDR, LD and PS2 and i could up it all to component from the amp, but i can't be bothered with the hassle TBH. Then i take S-Video out, into a KAT5 module to punt the signal on CAT5 to a KAT5 reciever, S-Video from that into the iScan and (currently) up to the PTAE100 using a normal VGA cable and this works well, at least I'm happy with it.

I know a lot of you guys use HTPCs and I'm not convinced by them at all, seen a few and none have impressed me so far any more than a decent DVD player etc. so straight DVI-D to DVI-D is out for the moment. Apart from which the projector is loud enough without introducing more background noise into the mix.

K.

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Sorry

I misread your origonal post, I thought u were looking for a DVI cable

Good luck with your quest.

BTW, many members here will agree that the best picture quality is from a PC. Perhaps the PCs u saw were not setup properly

Conor

5. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You've not seen the right ones then! I've compared mine to a high end PS DVD and the difference is extremly noticable via DVI.

6. fozziebear39

fozziebear39

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Going to order one of those cables in advance of my HS10 coming, thanks Comer. I presume you are using the 10m one. Any problems with the distance? Was going to get the 7.5m one as it warns thats the maximum length.... 10m would give me a bit of slack to move stuff around.

7. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had issues with a 10m lead although others seem to have sucess, I ended up cutting corners on the cable run to use a 7.5m one. I fyou can get away with 7.5m you'll stand more chance of sucess.

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hey John

I am using a 10m cable, what kind of problems did u have?

Conor

9. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    "White sparklies", that is Lindy claim that they were unprojected white pixels, you could only notice it in dark scenes but it was really irritating.

I wanted to back the cable but Lindy Tech said that it was unlikly to be faulty and that I was asking to much of it at 10m, lower the resolution they said:rolleyes:

I bought a 7.5m drom nexnix instead and its fine so I've sent the 10m back to Lindy for a refund, have to wait and see if I get it or not though.:(