1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPH1031Q

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nigel Ince, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Nigel Ince

Nigel Ince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, im still having problems with my projector, I have a Pioneer DVD 545 player & its connected by fully wired RGB scart-scart to the PJ. I am getting a problem on most NTSC dvd's its like picture break-up. The horizontal scan lines are not aligned & it goes potty.

I put it down to macrovision at first on NTSC, but i am getting it on a few PAL discs now. The scanning on the image is going barmy & the picture is rolling, my dvd plaeyr outputs NTSC as PAL & it has no macro on ?

My thoughts are now to the vertical hold pot ?

Can anyone tell me which pot on a UK 1031 i need to adjust it with, better still i need a proper service manual, can anyone help on this one ?

I will pay good money for one, if anyonbe local to Bradford knows what it is & can cure it - i will pay for this too.

Thanks

Nige

2. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Nigel,

This sounds to me like the sync signal coming from your DVD is not powerful enough to supply a stable picture. DVD players don't normally output a pure sync signal, so the sync from the composite video output is used instead. This signal really needs to be isolated and amplified to provided a reliable signal to the projector. This can be done with an LM 1881N chip and some fairly simple DIY electronics. Try here for general details:-

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/faq/vga2rgb/scart.html

You should be able to build the unit for under £30. All parts are available from Maplin although you may have to order the chip.

I have built a couple of these amplifiers for friends who have Sony 1020QM projectors with excellent results. These projectors do not have scart on board (I did not know the 1031 had). The amplifier was used in conjunction with RGB scart to 4 BNC connectors R, G, B, combined sync.) Without the amplifier the picture would roll in and out of sync but now images are rock solid. Perhaps you might want to consider a change to this connection method.

best of luck

Alan

3. Nigel Ince

Nigel Ince

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan, thanks for the reply, the 1031 UK version has a scart on front (i wich it didnt as its a pain for leads under carpet etc)

I have solved the problem by getting a new DVD player (pioneer 545) & its fine now !!!!

I think it was macrovision after all !!

Any idea where i can get a service manual or an upgrade pcb to BNC's instead of scart ?

Thanks

Nige

4. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19