1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vph D50qm

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by OnTheFly, Apr 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Does anyone have an insight to the above CRT. I did a quick search of the forum but no results were found.

Apparently it's done 4000 hrs & will do 10,000. (No burn) It has a backlit remote and supports component video.

This would be my first projector so I am treading carefully.

Any idea as to a reasonable price? There's no warranty with it.

As ever, any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,970
    D50 was last 7" CRT Sony made. It's a non colour filtered Electrostatic Focus device. It's competition when it was around were....Seleco/Sim2 SDG700 or 800HT, Barco 708/Cine7.

I'd say a private sale you'd be looking at £1000-3000. More than that and you'd get a much better device from one of the s/h crt re-sellers on here.

Gordon

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Actually the Sony D50 does have colour filtered lenses for the red and green which improves the colour satuartion.
    D50QM means that it was a presentation machine rather than the home theatre D50HT version. Which had a built in line doubler.
    They are very small units and good perfomers. Many of the big installers used them as their standard installtion machine.

Anthia Turner has one on a very big screen if I remember.

Becarefull of run times
    1 on sony projectors they can be reset very easily.
    2 Even if the time is genuine it is easy to burn tubes in far less than that.
    The D50, has like lot of the smaller CRT's a complicated power supply. I have had a batch of these projectors through and there is an anoying little board that causes the black detail to fail in one of the colours like the G2 voltage is too low. I've had to replace about 3 of those boards now.
    Spares are still ok tubes can be reworked. Gordon's price guide is about right.
    best suited to line doubling or progressive scan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.