1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPH-D50QM CRT Proj & Hi-Def

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Voiceedit, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Voiceedit

Voiceedit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Operating Instructions for the Sony VPH-D50QM CRT projector include in its spec:-
    Resolution: 1280 x 1024 pixels / 1000 lines (HDTV input).
    Input A refers to a HDTV component input and a GBR (whatever that is!)
    I already have this projector operating with its line doubler board (EXB-DS10) on standard DVD component input from a DVD player and S-Video from a surround sound processor for all other sources; since 1999 in fact (who needs HDTV?).
    My question is : does anyone know if this projector will display HDTV signals as produced from Blu-Ray DVDs/HD-DVDs/Sky HDTV transmissions without any further processing and if so how will it need to be connected to the HDTV source in order to do this?

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes it will display HDTV
    Most of the sources you mentioned will have a digital output but you can bet pressure will be on to have analouge outputs too. The Analoge will be either Component with the Sync signals on the Y cable or RGB with Horizontal and vertical syncs.
    If you are laying cables allow for the five wire, but my guess woul have to be component 3 wire

3. Voiceedit

Voiceedit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, Roland. I already have a component lead installed. For HD would I need to make any adjustments to the projector other than select Input-A as I currently do to select the component input? What about the line doubler - would I need to switch that off?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    You'd need to disable doubler. I'd look at getting an external scaler anyway as the doubler board in the Sony is really not that clever compared to what is available these days.

Gordon

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    :smashin:

6. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I recall you can only do 480/576p through the internal doubler..It will certainly display HD via RGBHV and though theres a possibility that component hidef outputs may be on HD DVD and SKY ..it is pretty certain that they will have either dvi/hdmi(hdcp) outputs.
    The idea will be input into a scaler via DVI/HDMI and output defeating the hdcp before you go into the crt RGBHV.

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Just as a side note: convertor boxes are now available to allow a hi-def HDMI/DVI digital signal to be connected to an analogue RGBHV input on a CRT projector. They even handle HDCP encrypted signals.

Sim2 UK have one for about £295 that is guaranteed HDCP compliant.

Joe Fernand at The Media Factory has another for approx $400, though I'm not sure if it is HDCP compliant as well. :)

8. Voiceedit

Voiceedit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you all for your replies. They give me encouragement to pursue the idea when HD is finally realised in the UK.

9. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Really? :thumbsup:

I must admit I thought that they'd be a law stopping this. Not that I'm complaining though :)

10. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +825
    A moderator of great integrity..................

If the HDCP stripper / convertor boxes are integrated into a projector as a modification or retrofit, then surely no-one should get upset? The end result would be the same as if the PJ had been fitted with an HDMI input in the first place, and there was no component or RGB output for, er, non-display devices.

A self-contained convertor box, though, is a different thing altogether........

I think we all knew they were going to happen, though.

Nick