Sony VPH-D50Q with upscaled DVDs problem

Voiceedit

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just replaced my Sony BDP-300S bluray player with a BDP-550S, in order to use its DTS-MA decoding through the 5.1 analogue connection of my Tag AV-32R processor. That works extremely well and the 720p Bluray picture on the projector is better than with the previous 300S player.

I was (initially) pleasantly surprised to discover that the 550S upscales DVDs to whatever resolution is set as its video output. In my case I'd set it to component video at 720p. However, it actually does not upscale with commercial DVDs, presumably because they have copy protection. It does upscale DVDs recorded from Freeview tv broadcasts, but they are not watchable on the projector.

This is because the resulting picture is not the full width of the selected screen ratio. The left side is at the correct position but the right side is pulled to the left so it's near to the middle of the screen. The resulting frame is therefore vertically squashed. My question is why and is there a solution? My assumption is it has something to do with the pixel ratio of Freeview broadcasts not being the full 16:9 ratio and therefore requiring an adjustment from the display device, which fixed ratio tvs are able to do automatically but which the projector does not do.

I'm therefore still having to use the S-video method to view DVDs and other SD sources on the projector, it being very much easier to switch between component and S-V on my Pronto rather than dig deep into the memory of the projector to switch the component input to SD (and that doesn't work on my projector anyway, as I've mentioned in a previous thread of 2009).

If anyone has an easy solution I'd be delighted to hear of it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom