Sony VPH-D50HTU

T

TimCaples

I have a Sony VPH-D50HTU. Can anyone tell me how I can make the picture better. I was thinking of adding a scaler but don't know which one. The projector dos'nt have a vga card in.

Tim
Welcome to the forums. Can you tell us a bit more about the video side to your set up. Are you feeding the projector component video for example. Also give abit more reason as to why you are unhappy with the set up. does it need just tuning up?

TimCaples said:
I have a Sony VPH-D50HTU. Can anyone tell me how I can make the picture better. I was thinking of adding a scaler but don't know which one. The projector dos'nt have a vga card in.
Are you saying your projector has only Composite and S-Video inputs? Isn't there another set of sockets - a row of 5 BNC connectors labled Input A?

From recent personal experience I found that D50s can look a little soft compared to other 7" CRTs of that calibre. Is that what you've found?

Regards

Hi Roland
Thanks for replying. I have a Tag DVD player which is conected to the projector by component. I have seen Sim2 ht300 which seemed to be a lot better than mine, I don't want to change mine, all I would like to do is get the piture the same if not better.

From what Ive seen of D50HT`S,Its the Internal doubler thats a tad soft-The D50 Itself can be nice and sharp.
Certainly a D50 with a decent external scaler beats the internal scaler..But what surprises me is that you thought the Sim HT300 looked better?

I recently sold a D50 to a guy who upgraded from a Sim HT300 & he thought the D50 a far better picture..Alot of this is down to setup and even tweaking the gain & bias to get a good greyscale.

Tim
set up of couse will be the prime reason your picture is looking a bit down. Use the setup patterns from your TAG dvd player to get the black correct. Brightness adjusts the blacks. Leave the contrast set about 70 or 80.
Simplist way to check the colour balance will be to pull the red and blue leads from the DVD player (or projector) that should give you a pure black and white image to work with. If it looks blue or redish then you will have to adjust the gain and bias.
Get an expert in with a meter if you are not confident.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom