1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPH-d50 problem?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by George74, Aug 28, 2003.

1. George74

George74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony VPHD50-HT projector. I checked with the supplier (Marata), whether my unit was configured to accept progressive scan via the component inputs. Marata confirmed so, after checking the serial number of my unit. I bought a Pioneer 757Ai PAL/NTSC progressive and connected it in place of my long serving Panasonic (region 1 only). I used the same component cables ( high quality Monster) and looked forward to seeing the difference on my Da-Lite 7ft screen. I forgot to say that
    I used the instructions sent to me by Marata which are basic and take you through setting the parameter of the "set input" menu from "component" to the value appropriate for Progressive on the projector. I can't recall what this value is named, but there are three possible values, "component", "RGB" and the last one which one I believe is the one I am after for progressive.

To my amazement, all I got was a distorted image which kept disappearing from the screen. Suffice to say the Pioneer progressive scan button was also set to on. The image is so jumpy, you can't even see the Sony menu screen to enable you to make adjustments. Switching back to component on the projector restores a glorious picture, albeit interlaced - better than my old Panasonic. So I can't wait to see a progressive image.

Can anyone help me with what my problem may be?

2. George74

George74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted it. Thanks to those who read the thread.

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Why not tell us how it was sorted it may help others

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    From what I have been told you need to select the HDTV input mode. This mode was 'designed' with the idea of Japanese HiVision HDTV and the Eureka system. It's not 'perfect' but it should work well.

5. George74

George74
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SUPPORTING PROGRESSIVE DVD (525P) SIGNAL
    To enable the unit to support the progressive DVD signal, perform the following
    procedure.
    Connect the DVD player’s component output into Input A.
    In the SET SETTING menu select HDTV-YPbPr for Input A.
    In the INPUT SETTING menu highlight Sync and select EXT (HV).
    The IDTV module disables itself automatically.

Avoid my mistake :- Perform this procedure with nothing connected to the component input on the projector, otherwise you will get the an off/on flickering screen which prevents you from seing what you are doing when navigating the menu screens. Perform the procedure and then connect.

Good viewing - Incidentally, the picture is excellent in progressive and the Pioneer also sounds great (even in music).