1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPH-1272QM Super Data EX

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by shaunr, Apr 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Gents,

Can you offer any information on the above projector as to it's good/ bad points please?

What sort of price should i be looking to pay for one of these, in good condition, less than 1000hrs?

Once again thanks and cheers to those who replied to my query below : )

Shaun

2. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shaun

The Sony 12xx series are popular projectors ( main criticism is that they are a little noisey! but you can modify fans if brave enough or ask someone here on the forum to do it for you).

I used to have a 1270 and was very happy with it ( just sold on this forum to T-Strife who is now also a happy man). Suffice to say that even now if I got the opportunity of a low hours unit at a reasonable price I would buy it as a spare. (my replacement NEC only had 1200 hours and thats why the sony had to go)

Best place for info on this model is probably the AVS forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

go to the crt area and do a search.. be warned you will be overwhelmed with information !

A similar Sony was recently for sale (1270) in the classifieds so you could check there for a ball park figure?

3. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Paul!!

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    These projectors normally go for between £700 and £1600 depending on condition.

Similar in specification to the Barco Graphics 801s.

I have an electronic version of the brochure if you want it.

This type of 8" projector will work best with an external line doubler or possibley a tripler. If you are going to use a PC recon an about 800x600 as being the ideal resolution.

They we built before component video so won't do that or progressive scan component.

Fans are noisey (there are 7 of them!) but it can be reduced quite dramatically.

And as always a low run time means nothing check the tubes for wear. A 5-7 year old projector with a 1000hrs has been sitting still a lot.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The Sony12xx series are great in my opnion. They are easy to set up and can produce a very pleasing image.

It's sort of the ideal first CRT for most folk. It has Digital convergence meaning no knobs to twist but all done by remote. It has a sensible instruction manual and if you read it and follow the set up procedures you'lll learn the basics of how these things work...ie Skew, PinCushion etc. There are not lots of setttings to confuse. It's pretty simple.

The possible issues are that it only has one memory bank per input rate. This means that it's hard to do multiple aspect ratio's unless you do a strange mod to an even stranger input socket...but lets not go there. Just get it and a n HTPC or scaler adn you are laughing!!!

Gordon

6. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cheers Roland & Gordon..that helps alot:)

Regards,

Shaun

7. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I have just upgraded from a 1272 to G70. The 1272 has excellent colours, and with work you can get a sharp image. Unfortunately it uses electrostatic focus which you can focus as sharply as electromagnetic.

However, it is an allround great projector and you will be more than pleased with it.

8. shaunr

shaunr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Cheers for your comments Matt:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.