1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony vph 1270

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DirkoDick, Dec 30, 2004.

1. DirkoDick

DirkoDick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am new to crt and doing my research etc. Can anyone advise on the Sony VPH-1270? I have seen a couple of 2nd hand on ebay. Are CRT's much better than fp's . Is it true that they have to have fixed screens? Also what about the life of the tubes and availability. Do they tend to fail much b4 their rated hours like so many projectors

Thx ppl

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The Sony is FP...FRONT PROJECTOR...or perhaps sometimes used as a RP rear projector. It is not a Fixed Pixel Projector. They are old now. They can be great if set up well in a dark room with decent life left on tubes.

They were designed for commercial applications where they would run 24hr/7days/for years....they are reliable. Parts are probably rare now and if new they'll be expensive. They can work with electric or fixed screens. They are not plug and play like Fixed Pixel projectors. They need to be set up properly and not moved once that's been done. If you want a device where you can bring the screen out and build it up then take the PJ out the cupboard and point it at the screen you need to forget CRT front projection.

Gordon

3. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ppl,
    As Gordon says crt is not plug and play.

The tubes of a new crt are rated for 10,000hrs min.After that most manufacturers recommend you MAY need to change the tubes.But you tend to see a drop in brightness after 10,000hrs and a a drop in focus after 15,000hrs.

Considering most digital projectors(dlp/lcd etc.) last between 2,000-4,000hrs,crt is certainly cost effective in terms of longevity.

But the 1272 is a big beastie -not difficult to setup-In fact one of the easiest crt`s of all to setup & probably a great first step into crt.

Picture wise,something like a Sony VPH-1272q has the beating of most of the digitals available today with the exclusion of 3 chip dlp maybe.(These are 20k ish though!)

In fact I like the pic of the 1272-very filmic and oft overlooked by crt`ers.

Consider DLP/LCD as the Mcdonalds of the projected image,small ..quick to setup but ultimately leaves you unfulfilled .:)