1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony vph-1252q voltage query

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nutty_nutta, Apr 27, 2005.

1. nutty_nutta

nutty_nutta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi every1

1st posting but been reading this forum for a while and must admit its highly addictive.

i'm in the states at the moment on holiday and thought of buying a crt pj. i have come across a sony vph 1252 q. now the problem is that i did some reading on this pj and in its manual it says that a vph-1252q should be used with a 120 ac voltage and a vph-1252qm should be used with a 220-240 dc voltage.

my query is whether the vph1252q will work back in the uk. can i use a voltage converter or something that wouldnt damage ne of the circuitry. the condition of the vph 1252q is excellent n it would be a pity if i let it go. i really would appreciate some enlightenment on this.

thanx all

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I don't know of a cheap way of converting Sony's from 110 to 240 volt other than changing out the whole power supply or using a transformer.

3. nutty_nutta

nutty_nutta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx Roland

i'd jus like to know that if i were to use a transformer then would it cause any interference that would cause poor picture quality or something like that. thanx alot.

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I don't know.
    I've never done it.
    but I would be surprised if you didn't get some interference.

5. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm running a US 110V NEC XG over here from 230V using a step down transformer with no problems. I know others do too. And with the greatest of respect to Roland, 110V is 110V is 110V, whether it be via a transformer or not.

The electricity leaves the power station at 320,000V or more, and is stepped down via transformers in the national grid to 230V at your sockets. One more transformer won't make any difference at all.

Now having said that, the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz *MAY* be an issue. I don't know anything about Sonys, but I know NECs don't care which frequency it is (despite what it may say on the label!). I'd be surprised if the Sonys don't also - but I stand to be corrected.

So forget the voltage - you need to ask questions about mains frequency.

If I was you and it was otherwise a good deal I would go for it. :smashin: At the very worst you would just have to swap the PSU. Not the end of the world.

By the time you get back my step down transformer may be available, as I'm hoping to convert my NEC PSU to 230V :)