1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VPH 1041 QM (crt) or DLP/LCD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by yejaffe, May 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yejaffe

yejaffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't decide if I should buy this 6 years old Sony VPH 1041 QM (CRT) projector or if I should get a used 1-2 years old, DLP or LCD projectors.
    Which one I will enjoy better as a home theater projector?
    The CRT is about 500 pounds and the DLP or LCD is over 1000 pounds.

Thanks,

Jonathan

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Post in the CRT forum and ask which is better a CRT of LCD and you expect an unbiased answer?

CRT techniques have changed little over the years so the quality of your little Sony CRT will be hard to beat but beware of warn tubes.

LCD and DLP projector have moved on enormously. There are so many manufactuers in this field that without specific models it is impossible to say which are good and bad models.

As always see the projector running if it good for you then that is all that matters.

My Golden rule is once you have bought your projector never look at another one until you have the budget to upgrade or you will be constatly critisising the image.

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

While I'd probably suggest the crt projector on a performance basis, I'd have a serious think about the 'ease of use' of the lcd option. Something like the little Panasonic lcd job will probably be very suitable IF you don't want all the hassle of setting up a crt projector. The Sony has an analog convergence that you'll have to do by 'tweeking' lot's of little pots.
    I'm not sure if the 1042 has 16:9 switching.... if it doesn't you'll either have to use a htpc or change the whole convergence when you want to go between 4:3 and 16:9.

Brian

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    The Sony VPH1042 has a manual convergence chassis. It will accept a video signal (and maybe RGB from Sky or a DVD player) but not a PC signal - so HTPC is out of the question.

AFAIK, there isn't a 16:9 mode on this projector. The later VPH1000 might have this feature, but the 1042 dates from before widescreen switching was common. Set your DVD player to 4:3 Letterbox to watch widescreen movies.

Buy a 4:3 screen.

My first experience of video projection was with a Sony 1041 nearly 15 years ago. I will never forget the excitement of watching that 8ft image.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.