SONY VIDEO MACHINE - Which one

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Ilan, May 2, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Ilan

Ilan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was gonna buy sony slv x9 but seems that this has now been discontinued.
    Why? Should I still buy one or should I go for the 820 which appears to be their top of the range now. Does this video have the satellite feature.

Any ideas??

2. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Sony SLV-SE9 is a QS version of the SLV-SE810 which means the build quality is better. I presume that the SLV-SE820 will have a few added features.

3. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bought a SLV SE820 last weekend to match new Sony idtv TV and DVD. Very pleased with the picture quality, and features. Doesn't have any STB control features (I don't need them), but has Sony Smartlink, which allows the TV and video to communicate better (e.g. auto download of stations, instant record of current TV channel). Can't get Smartlink to work with the integrated digital tuner on the TV - should be able to program the video to record from the programme guide, but I get a 'Smartlink - No Recording' error when I try.

Other than that, it's a pretty good video. Couldn't help noticing in the store though that the back panel is IDENTICAL to a new Toshiba video...

4. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you having problems with SmartLink try a better SCART lead that has all 21-pins wired.

5. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was a post I wrote over the weekend about the SE820:

"Just bought the new Sony SLV-SE820 VCR from John Lewis but I'm afraid its going straight back tomorrow!

This has to be the noisiest machine I've ever come across.

When you switch it on, it makes an annoying whiring sound for about 4/5 minutes then it quietens down. Fair enough I suppose, but when you start to play anything, this awful noise comes on again and doesn't stop. Its a constant, loud, (constantly heard above the sound of the programme ) noise and its driving me round the bend and I've only had the machine half a day.

How on earth did this machine pass QC? Do Sony have a QC dept? Is my machine wonky (I don't think so because its the sort of noise you might expect from a cheap nasty machine) or is this added noise a "feature"?
    Whatever, I'm probably now going to go for the Panny FJ630."

Following this, I sent Sony UK an e-mail from their website feedback page, basically repeating what I posted above. I haven't received a response yet and I'm not holding my breath either. If you choose this model, I recommend you buy it from John Lewis and if you have the same problem I had, you can easily get your money back. Its a shame, cause it had all the features I wanted.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else who bought this machine had a similar experience.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,570
    I assume this is a question about a VCR?
    Moving it to the Video recorders forum.

7. super7

super7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    M.Joshi : My SCART lead definitely has all 21 pins wired, and some of the SmartLink functions are working, but not the recording from the digital electronic programme guide. Not a huge problem, but I wish I could fix it.

Ilan : One other thing I forgot to mention is the Smart Dial Timer feature, which allows you to set up recording direct on the video (don't have to find the remote!) - works really well and takes 10 secs to do.

My machine doesn't suffer from a noisy transport - except when fast rewinding. It is in a glass fronted AV cabinet (don't use the one supplied with the TV), and I can't really hear it at all.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Ilan,
    Have you thought about a Tivo or Skyplus+ ?
    If you need VHS, Panasonic and JVC are best for build quality and performance. The Sony "Smart Dial" is a good feature.
    Most makers are just sourcing VHS at bottom dollar, there is no money in it now.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Last Sony VCR of any good was the late 80's SLHF950

Everything else since is junk!

Crap picture
    Poor build
    blowing up PSUs
    Noisy
    and a poor picture

10. Saturn82

Saturn82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a SLV-X9 a couple of weeks ago. And it hasnt dissapointed so far :D

Great peace of machinery.

11. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a sony 820 and the build quality is crap. Got it home, plugged the scart in and broke the bloody thing.

Took it back and got a replacement but it still feels rubbish compared to my good old panny.

Its has a dodgy scart and is very noisy when recording/playing.