1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Viao VGF-AP1L

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by toohuge, Mar 23, 2005.

1. toohuge

toohuge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys, does anyone have any thoughts on this player before i buy one, i know (correct me if i'm wrong) that you have to convert everything into Atrac 3 etc. But comparing this machine to an Ipod Photo 40Gb this looks a steal at almost half the price! Has anyone had any experience with this machine? Also, does anyone know about the rumoured firmware update allowing this player to play native .Mp3 files? Thanks for reading this

Chris

2. twcheang

twcheang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need to convert ur mp3 files to atrac3 format, there is a firmware upgrade that supports native mp3 file playback.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Im not sure, but I think the upgrade is already available so it will play mp3s.

4. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    err the size of the thing is a bit depressing...

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It depends what you want it for doesn't it. If you want a player for walking round etc then I wouldn't suggest it. But if you want a player for plugging into you car hifi etc. the Vaio would, I expect, be a good choice.

6. raugust2001

raugust2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also think that you can directly connect Sony digital cameras to the VGC-AP1L to download the pictures. That almost swayed me to getting one, but I then decided that most of the time I wanted a small device to stick in my pocket, so opted for the HD3 and a couple of new memory sticks for the camera.

7. toohuge

toohuge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your replies, i have found the firmware update :D ! I am pretty sure about getting one, i've found it on ebuyer.com for £235! Any other suggestions for players that have similar storage capacities and spec (colour screen!)

Chris

8. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have this.. its the perfect size.. fits nicely in the hand.. (and still fits in my shirt pocket) I have mine loaded with mp3s (though you must use sonicstage to get the mp3's on it as it wraps them with DRM ) all with album art.

Been using it since they were released last year.. if you want a slightly slimmer version then buy the 20gb if you can still find it. I use it for my commute most days..and it lasts about a week before recharging is needed. Only downside (for some) is that it does discharge itself after about 10 days..

Cheers

Matt

9. Chris OH

Chris OH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at this and think it has no line out and is therefore not for me.

I am working on the assumption that line out is a prerequisite for use in a hifi system if you are looking for the best quality, am i wrong?

Chris

10. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont care for the size and look myself, although it seems to be very sturdy and well built.

11. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    The line out is on the cradle and is activated once the player is sat in it.

Matt

12. Chris OH

Chris OH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to see one of these and even got the manual out at the local Sony shop. They knew nothing about a line out. Didn't look at the cradle though, thanks Matt.

Unfortunately though, still not for me because i use a portable amp.

Chris