Sony VGX-XL201 Windows XP

deltel1

Novice Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to set the BIOS on my Sony to boot into USB flash drive. I am trying to install XBMC UBUNTU along side the existing Window XP operating system. I have been into the BIOS but cannot figure out how to change it.

On my old Vista Vaio laptop I can get to the boot menu by pressing the Esc key at the Vaio splash screen and select the USB device to be the boot device. From there I can then get into BIOS to set the permanent boot order - BIOS > Boot tab
To be able to boot from an external device you need to go into and set - BIOS > Advanced > External Drive Boot: Enabled

Mark.

edit: my Vaio has Phoenix BIOS

On my old Vista Vaio laptop I can get to the boot menu by pressing the Esc key at the Vaio splash screen and select the USB device to be the boot device. From there I can then get into BIOS to set the permanent boot order - BIOS > Boot tab
To be able to boot from an external device you need to go into and set - BIOS > Advanced > External Drive Boot: Enabled

Mark.
Thanks Mark,
I have been trying exactly what you described, but when I get into the BIOS there is no USB pick.

Del
edit: my Vaio has Phoenix BIOS

You could also run from USB flash drive instead of installing once you find the boot menu of course. Performance might be good enough.

Hi Thanks for your response.
I have been doing that on my laptop which is where I created the bootable usb flash drive. I thought it would be a piece of cake to add it to my Sony but wishful thinking.

Del

Have you enabled (or found) 'External Boot'? That is found in the Advanced tab of the BIOS.
Until that is enabled the laptop wont even list external devices as being available to boot from.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom