Sony VGX XL-100 and Hauppauge Nova-T-500.

kolabere

I have reported elsewhere about the problems of installing the Nova-T-500 in the Sony. Here are some observations after using them both for nearly a week.

With the Avermedia card disabled I was able to run the dual tuners without any problems - tuning, waking, sleeping, recording, everything expected. The quality is slightly better, but not alot - but enough to make me want to use them as A and B in a triple setup.

This is when the fun started.

With the cards set up as Antenna A: Nova-T (0); Antenna B: Nova-T (1) and Antenna C: Avermedia, a simultaneous triple record was succesful.

Subsequent reboots eventually resulted in the complete lose of channel listings, although no loss of signal. Rebooting the following morning and a fresh scan for more channels returned some channel listings, but ALL signals had been lost.

I then tried the following arrangement: Antenna A: Avermedia; Antenna B: Nova-T (0) and Antenna C: Nova-T (1). This setup has now been in place for nearly 5 days and triple recordings have been set on 10 occassions and about the same number of single recordings.

The recorder history is showing multiple errors - late starts, partial recordings, signal loss during recording, due to "system malfunction" and "power loss" - but only 2 of the 30 triples failed altogether. So not perfect, but then when was MCE!

The big issue at the moment is standby. Ordinary in/out of standby is no problem, waking from standby to record works fine , but the system will not return to the "orange light" standby - it remains in the "blinking orange" state [no pun intended ;) ] that it uses to record in. Confusingly Sony call this 'standby' too.

jetbootjack

It's simple - you describe the same problems I had with any "other" tuner and the Avermedia one - basically constant failures - just forget about using the Avermedia tuner and all will be well!

I have the same set-up as you and I've not hacked the system to use 3 tuners because of all the conflicts the built in tuner has working with any other tuners...

I plan to get another Hauppage twin tuner card and try a 4 tuner set up and ditch the Avermedia!

sTeVE

kolabere

I think I'm going to follow suit tomorrow, but not necessarily the quad setup.

kolabere

I have uninstalled both Avermedia and Hauppauge, and restored the setup similar to jetbootjack with the Avermedia disabled and the Hauppauge setup as a conventional two tuners in MCE.

The problem I still have is that it will not suspend to S3 after recording :mad: :mad: .

In all other situations it will happily suspend to S3.

Is there anybody else running Hauppauge tuners in a Sony :lease: .

coffeefagsbooze

Standard Member
HELP I NEED SOME ADVICE

I have just bought a second hand Sony VGX but he has removed the harddrive - does anyone know the model number or can I buy anyone from Ebuyer?
Also he has installed a second TV card and nothing seems to work? Which is the original sony card installed

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom