Sony Vegas Pro 8a Freezes when opening M2TS files

Aircut

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello group

i hope someone can help me.

i am running windows xp sp3 and sony vegas pro 8a build 179

i am filming using sony handycam HDR-SR12e. when trying to open M2TS files (1440x1080x32 @25,000fps, audio 48Hz 5.1) the program simply freezes.

i can open the files for including in my project. i have 2M of RAM and no problems opening other file types.

can someone pls help?

thanks!!

UPDATE: upgraded for vista and still the program just HANG there when trying to open M2TS files. very disturbing. shooting SONY and trying to open SONY's own file format with no evil. :mad::mad::mad::mad: BRRRRRRR :mad::mad::mad::mad:

It can work m8 - I have pro 8.0b and I'm using Vista Home premium SP1. But you have xp?

Maybe its a conflict with another piece of software. You could try going into task manager and closing all non essential services and running vegas and openning an m2ts. Or how about safe mode?

Did you inport the files using motion picture browser?

I agree .The problem is local to your PC
Even ver 8a should open Sonys AVCHD files
Ver 7 does

I'm having the same problem on Vista 64! Is it only supposed to open Sony files or will it work with my Panasonic? I'm getting close to 'send it back with a flea in their ear' territory, it just hangs (Not Responding) when you try to import any video file!

Right, I've just spoken to the support people at Sony Creative and it turns out that Vegas Movie Studio (any 8.0d version) DOES support 1920x1080 video, DOES support Panasonic's AVCHD format but DOESN'T SUPPORT A COMBINATION OF THE TWO!!!!! It apparently only works with Sony's 1920x1080 format (and there's me thinking AVCHD was supposed to be an open standard). The software doesn't SAY it won't support the format, it just crashes when you try to import it!

Worst thing of all is that the guy on the phone said 'we don't give refunds' and told me that I should have downloaded the trial software to discover this bizarre gem before parting with the cash for their buggy software - oh yeah right - I checked it supported the format and the camcorder make but not the combination of the two?!! Who the :censored: was going to guess that without specifically reading it buried deep in their support site!? So now I have two choices:

1. Sit with unedited holiday video until Sony decide to eventually bring out a new version of the software that does support non-Sony kit properly (I bloody knew it was a mistake buying anything Sony!)

2. Pay again for another program which works - i really wish I'd followed my gut feeling and gone down the Pinnacle route now!

Senu - I know you were trying to help but I bought this software on your recommendation for this precise scenario so please read the above carefully before recommending it to others.

Thoroughly hacked off! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :boring:

Sorry you are having this problem:rolleyes::(

Im a little confused though. It works with Sony, It works with Panasonic , but not both at the same time, is that it??

I imagine a patch may come out soon to sort this problem if it affects enough people

I did recommend it in good faith having used it myself for AVCHD files from various camcorders with it. Namely Sony, Canon and Panasonic but not in combination.. I don't work for Sony
I would simply say the Sony support comment about using the trial version is a standard response to make discourage you from asking for a refund.. They might give you one if you tried

To be fair using AVCHD from 2 different brands of camcorder ( as seems to be the case )is a little unusual and potentially unexpected.and untested
Up till March 2007 there was no AVCHD editing software at all
As for AVCHD not being an open standard , We always knew than on here that the specification was broadly uniform but not the individual codecs. Also where they were encoded at different bitrates using them in combination may confuse the software
but it is a bit hard on Sony that Panasonics version has Issues with thier software in combination with Sonys AVCHD

Niether company is admitting fault and in fairness to Sony thier software division is different to Hardware so the software issue isnt to do with with alienating Panasonic customers

Panasonic itself doesnt offer any software solutions though , does it?

Even Pinnacle Studio 11 without an update patch did not work at all with Panasonics AVCHD and may well not work with a combination of Sony and Panasonic

I wonder if you can used than in combination if you run the Panny AVCHD thrrough Nero vision 5, output it then try it
Otherwise just edit them separately

Senu

Thanks for your reply and I really do appreciate your help (my irritation earlier was because I'd just got off the phone from them).

I didn't explain very well - I do not have a Sony camcorder, just a Panasonic. What I meant by 'both at the same time' was 1920x1080 AND Panasonic - the Sony software hangs when you try to import just that! I have some 1920x1080 50i holiday video that I want to edit, that's it...

Any further help with this much simpler scenario would be most welcome! :D

Ah... So Vegas does not like the 1920 X1080 Panasonic files

Once again that is really not ideal
TBH, "full HD" AVCHD editing is in its infancy and will come on time
Im loath to suggest Nero Vision 5 ..trial version first :rolleyes:
but Pinnacle Studio will edit but probably not output as AVCHD:(

How about Ulead MF6plus? If you wish to try it ,give me PM. or use a trial download
Im Sure Sony will listen and the support you wish for in Vegas will come in the next patch

Does Ulead support 5.1 sound natively? I might have a look at that one.

I would like to be able to burn AVCHD on SD DVDs but that could be as data as I only really want to play them on a PS3, will Pinnacle do that do you know? I like some of the wipe/dissolve effects that come with Ultimate... I always seem to get drawn in by the extra cost options! Burning to SD DVD would be a requirement of course but I guess it has to do that OK.

I think it does.
It says DD5.1 creator on the box:rolleyes:. Im not sure if that means it will preserve a 5.1 audio

I dont have the Full Ulead VS11.5 though , just Movie Factory6+ .
I used VS ver 10 but havent had the "pleasure" of trying out ver 11..:rolleyes:!!
It has mixed reviews on Amazon though
Not everybody likes it
The same goes for MF,
It seems no software is universally loved:mad:
Pinnacle Studio .. I dont think makes AVCHD discs it was geared towards HD DVD

hello group

i hope someone can help me.

i am running windows xp sp3 and sony vegas pro 8a build 179

i am filming using sony handycam HDR-SR12e. when trying to open M2TS files (1440x1080x32 @25,000fps, audio 48Hz 5.1) the program simply freezes.

i can open the files for including in my project. i have 2M of RAM and no problems opening other file types.

can someone pls help?

thanks!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

you need to update Vegas to 8.0c

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom