Sony Vegas Pro 12 only using 50% CPU

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by TheBorzoi, Jan 30, 2014.

1. TheBorzoi

TheBorzoi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do a lot of video editing and usually when I'm rendering a video, the CPU usage hovers around the 90%-95% mark but the last few videos I've rendered have only been using 45%-50% of my CPU and because of this, the rendering time has increased.

If I intend to do something else on my computer during the rendering, I will usually limit Vegas to just half the cores (manually bringing CPU usage to 50% overall) so I have enough to do what I want, like gaming. Afterwards, I reset the affinity so it can continue rendering at a faster rate.

I noticed it wasn't using as much CPU when the render time of a video was roughly double what I expected. It was a video I had rendered previously. I was rendering with the exact same options as before. The only difference was that I had cut off a few seconds from the end I forgot the first time. I checked the affinity and it is set to use all cores. Looking at the performance tab in Task Manager, it's inconsistent on how much of each core it is using. I have checked my resource monitor in to see if something else was bottlenecking it but I couldn't see anything doing so.

I'm at a loss on what to check next to try get Sony Vegas to use more CPU again. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the low CPU usage?

My Spec:

32GB RAM
    8 Core 3.61Ghz Processor
    3TB 7200 RPM Sata III HDD <-- This is where the video is being rendered to
    120GB SATA III SSD <-- This is where Sony Vegas is installed.

2. 12harry

12harry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Have you tried Sony Creative? [ Forum ]. There may be someone who's fixed a similar problem.

BTW - have you changed anything recently?
    Is it possible a virus/trojan is pinching processor-power?

If you have an earlier vid, can you compare like/like - or have you ( maybe ) increased the usage of Key-framing which is causing the time-increase?

Sorry no other ideas . . . . good luck.

3. TheBorzoi

TheBorzoi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had a look round but not posted on there. Some people did have a similar problem but no solutions. There was mention a few times about certain Video FX which when used, will prevent rendering using the full CPU capacity but as before, I've not used anything extra.

I have checked my previous render (I saved it as a different project) and checked the settings life for like. They are exactly the same. The only difference is the few seconds I cut off on the second video. No extra plugins, Video FX or anything. Both used the same rendering profile and have the same keyframes.

I have my computer scan daily for viruses/trojans/malware etc. but I did a manual, full scan despite being sceptical about that being the problem. It came up with nothing. Nothing else is using the CPU. When I'm showing processes from all users in task manager and order it by CPU usage, at the top is System Idle Process hovering at around 50%-55% and then Vegas right below it at 45%-50%. Other programs will occasionally pop up at 1% but that's it. The programs that do pop up are expected (things like firefox.exe and explorer.exe).

The only other variable I can think of is that the first render was started not long after I booted up my computer but the second one my computer was on for a while. It has also occurred to me that a system update may be causing it. Vegas itself hasn't updated between renders but I think Windows may have (I'll need to check).

I'll keep you posted on the cause when/if I find out.

4. TheBorzoi

TheBorzoi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After editing and rendering another video, it is now running at 100% CPU and rendering is much faster. I think I know what I did to cause the rendering to only use 50%.

To cut the few seconds off of the end of the video, I positioned the video seek (the vertical bar to show where you are playing from when you click Play in the preview. I'm probably using the wrong word) and dragged the end to this and re-rendered. It seems that instead of just dragging it to cut off the few seconds, I was unknowingly holding down a key on my keyboard causing it to compress the video (so that it plays slightly faster). The plugin that slows down/speeds up the video is one of the plugins which is unable to use more than 50% CPU. The speed difference is hardly noticeable because the video is quite long.

I noticed this when someone pointed out to me that the stuff I was supposed to cut was still in the video.