Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 And Fraps Recordings Problem

Cha1ky

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :hiya:

I do believe this is the first time i've been in this area nevermind post in it!! :eek::eek:

Anyway after always wanting to give YouTube a go for some gaming videos i recently purchased Sony Vegas Studio HD Platinum 11 on the Amazon Black Friday deal. So thought what the hell lets see what i can do.

So i recorded some gaming sessions using Fraps and thought i'd give it a go. (Previously i just used Avidemux to create an AVC MKV file from the resulting Fraps files)

Now i've watched many a You Tube video on setting Vegas up to create nice mp4 files from Fraps files and theres even a handy perfect for youtube render settings for the 1080p files i have.

My problem is when i set it off to render Vegas just freezes, every single time it does this without fail.

I managed to create a video using the WMV settings but the quality just isnt as good as mp4 files when uploading to you tube. It seems to butcher WMV files when doing it.

Has anyone got any experience with Fraps files and rendering to MP4?

I've already spent days trying to work this out. So any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. I was going to ask in the PC forums but this seems a better forum to put this out there.​

Never used Frap files so i can't help you there but this could help ( not Sony Vegas)

Do you think the system just cant handle the large fraps files?

I don't know but i've found these settings.

Attachments

• sony frap file settings.jpg
    sony frap file settings.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 228
Not familiar with the file format, can you post what mediainfo says the file format actually is ?

MediaInfo

Theres actually a couple of settings already built in but they just crash when i press render.

See attached image.

I'll look at reducing the Fraps file and see if that helps but i dont want to take a double hit on reducing the quality of the original file by reducing it before vegas and again during vegas rendering if you know what i mean.

Attachments

• Vegas Auto Seting.PNG
    Vegas Auto Seting.PNG
    36.9 KB · Views: 138
Found this advice - Try going to options>preferences>video and set number of threads to 1. This fixed my frustrating rendering issue. Also may set color settings in your project to 8bit instead of 32bit, that some times helps.

Found this advice - Try going to options>preferences>video and set number of threads to 1. This fixed my frustrating rendering issue. Also may set color settings in your project to 8bit instead of 32bit, that some times helps.

Thanks but it still crashed.

Fraps is a very, very heavy codec - it's a lot of work for the computer to deal with while editing.

Try converting it to something a little lighter and more friendly before editing. Drop it into Vegas and straight export it to HD (don't edit, cut, or anything - just export). Does that crash? If not, then edit with the output files.

If it does still crash, then try this...

Converting Fraps footage to Premiere/Vegas compatable AVI | FrapsForum.com

Fraps is a very, very heavy codec - it's a lot of work for the computer to deal with while editing.

Try converting it to something a little lighter and more friendly before editing. Drop it into Vegas and straight export it to HD (don't edit, cut, or anything - just export). Does that crash? If not, then edit with the output files.

If it does still crash, then try this...

Converting Fraps footage to Premiere/Vegas compatable AVI | FrapsForum.com

I've just tried to create an mp4 file and it worked. I then tried to create the youtube file from the smaller just rendered file and it crashed again. I wonder if its just that video setting.

I'll try see what the mp4 file will look like on youtube with it just converted from the 1st render see if that works.

Tried the virtualdub route and the resulting file wouldnt load into Vegas.

I'll try first idea and see what happens.

What is the youtube setting? Youtube can deal with various formats - MP4 should be fine

What is the youtube setting? Youtube can deal with various formats - MP4 should be fine

Its in post 6 bud.

I'm trying a different render profile and seeing how that goes but so far so good.

Look at the bitrate 470Mbps. That's near uncompressed and the sort of video handling capability needing a really really fast computer to handle.

At that bitrate a 25GB BD disc could hold around 7 minutes of video. Where can you get source content that justifies this massive bitrate ?

A 1920 x 1080 1080p camcorder using that sort of bitrate could manage a frame rate of over 400 fps. You would need a hell of a lot of storage.

Look at the bitrate 470Mbps. That's near uncompressed and the sort of video handling capability needing a really really fast computer to handle.

At that bitrate a 25GB BD disc could hold around 7 minutes of video. Where can you get source content that justifies this massive bitrate ?

A 1920 x 1080 1080p camcorder using that sort of bitrate could manage a frame rate of over 400 fps. You would need a hell of a lot of storage.

Yeah thats all RAW uncompressed gaming video data. It really chews through your HD space if you leave it unchecked. I get about 12 mins per about 45 gb It really is a beast.

I seem to have made some real great progress now with a superb reproduction of a video or 2. Dropping from around 4gb worth to 170mb and it still looks superb. I could create the file straight from the FRAPS video so no need to compress and compress again. (thinking it must be that render profile somehow now)

I'll upload it to youtube and let you guys know how it turns out.

Hopefully it turns out how it looks now as i'll be very happy.

Ok this is the resulting file on youtube.

Think i need to sharpen it up a slight bit more but i think i'm almost there.

It looks pretty good though.

Looking at the screen shots you posted, one of the problems may be the fact that your sequence settings are totally off. The Seq settings need to match the type of media used. So, in Post 6 it says your template is 29.97 fps, 1920x1072 frame size + AC3 audio - whereas your video is actually 60fps, 1920x1080 frame size and PCM audio. So, change the template to match the video and see how it goes!

And yes, Fraps is basically uncompressed for one very good reason... compressing video takes up processing power etc, not something you want to be doing while gaming!

It looks pretty good though.

Looking at the screen shots you posted, one of the problems may be the fact that your sequence settings are totally off. The Seq settings need to match the type of media used. So, in Post 6 it says your template is 29.97 fps, 1920x1072 frame size + AC3 audio - whereas your video is actually 60fps, 1920x1080 frame size and PCM audio. So, change the template to match the video and see how it goes!

And yes, Fraps is basically uncompressed for one very good reason... compressing video takes up processing power etc, not something you want to be doing while gaming!

I've re recorded a new file and i now match the recording settings via the render settings...almost lol.

The render settings are slightly different as i'm trying to get it to match what youtube require best.

This is the result.

Its almost there but i need to do a little bit more work with it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom