• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10

LionelS

Standard Member
Anyone had any experience with the new Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10 for editing high definition video.? Is it easy to use? Are you able to import AVCHD at 24Mbp? Can you burn projects to blue ray discs that will be compatible with most blue ray players?

spike747

Standard Member
I havent'got the platinum version but as its presumebly a cut down version of vegas pro can tell you this.
yes it can import 24mbps AVCHD (I have a canon my self) but in terms of rendering I believe it will use smart rendering for frames that are not re encoded (ie you doing anything to them) . It certianly accepts them anyway.
I'm currently using 17mbps and outputting bluray using sony avc ie H264 with very good results. you can also output using mpeg2 as well if you wish , although that will gobble up more storage.
I'm sure someone on the forums will be ale to provide more information on 24mbps and sony, if you google it, you'll find quite a few things.

LionelS

Standard Member
Maybe I should get the pro version. What is the difference particularly for high definition editing to blue ray? IS there a trial version?

spike747

Standard Member
yes there is a trial version.
Sony Creative Software - Download: Trials and Demos

the main differences seem to be that the pro is unlimited in how many tracks you can have. Pro comes in both 64 and 32 bit versions.
With pro you also get dvd archtect which allow you to produce dvd and bluray disks with menus etc. I tihnk the consumern version just allows you to burn the timeline straight to bluray not add menus. They may or may not be important to you.

Give thena go and se what you think, trail last form 30 days.
bear in mind though that the pro version is usually about £550. I saw an offer on amazon (since gone) where it was on sae for £326 so grabbed it!. No regrets about the pruchase. The only minor gripe would be the ability to output avc at high profile 4.1 but other than that.
Rought rendering times for your info are for 1080 50i at 17mbps with some reencoding, (overlays of mages and titles) , 35 minutes worth of video renders in about 90 minutes for avc 16mbps output. bear in mind the PC i have is pretty good in spec.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom