Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6 Upgrade?

Richard Jones

Hi,

This is probably a bit of a cheeky question but if you don't ask you don't get!

I am thinking of upgrading from Sony Vegas Movie Studio 6 to the full version and note that, subsequent to the launch of Vegas 7 in the States, the upgrade to the full version of Vegas 6 can now be obtained quite cheaply (typically for less than $100). As Vegas 7 is about to be launched here in the UK I am wondering if such offers are now available or likely to become available here. If so does anyone have any ideas about when and at what price and can you suggest where I might buy this Version 6 upgrade.

Asked in hope.

Regards,

Richard Jones

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
If I understand correctly what you are asking is: Are there (or likely to be) versions of Vegas 6 going cheap?

The upgrade price going from Studio to full version is only available direct from Sony Media Solutions, and is much more than $100... but what did happen (and is still happening) is that at least one major retailer in the US was (is) selling the full version of Vegas cheaply ($99). They are still selling it at this price
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=434966&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

This isn't an upgrade price, it is available to anyone. But note, it doesn't include the full version of DVD Architect.

This cheap price for Vegas 6 was unusual; I wouldn't count on seeing such prices in the UK.

senu

Distinguished Member
Hi,
...As Vegas 7 is about to be launched here in the UK I am wondering if such offers are now available or likely to become available here. ...
Richard Jones

Isnt it available here already? :confused:

I got mine off MVC quite a while ago..At that time they didn't have the Movie Studio Platinum ver7 and still don't as it is North America Only .
The non Platinum ver of SMS6 isn't updated AFAIK

Ver 8 is Expected in the Autumn
The Full ver is £399 for the next 10 days and the upgrade from Studio is £249 ( 10-14 days)... May not be VFM unless you already have Studio

marty2005

Vegas v7 has been out a while now and has had updates as well.

senu

Distinguished Member
This isn't an upgrade price, it is available to anyone. But note, it doesn't include the full version of DVD Architect.

This cheap price for Vegas 6 was unusual; I wouldn't count on seeing such prices in the UK.

..I wouldnt either

Regarding the software only ver ( no box/ Manuals ver 6 from B and H)
Does it have any version of DVDA at all?.. I don't think so

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Correct, the B&H bargain is Vegas only, no DVDA at all. The OP will still be able to use the version which came with V6 Vegas Movie Studio

senu

Distinguished Member
Hopefully his version of Movie Studio is the +DVD or Platinum version

Richard Jones

Hi,

Many thanks to you all.

My version of Movie Studio 6 is the Platinum edition which includes DVDA Studio 3. If I upgrade to the full version of Vegas 6 from B&H would I be able to use this with DVDA Studio 3 or would the extras in the full version of Vegas 6 be too much for DVDA Studio 3 to deal with?

Regards,

Richard Jones

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
There is no problem using DVDA Studio 3 with full Vegas 6. At the end of the day you are still just adding video files into DVDA Studio to author your DVD. The additional features in Vegas means you can do additional editing tasks, but still you render out to a new video file at the end and use this in DVDA.

senu

Distinguished Member
DVDA 3 is fine.
It doesn't encode ac3 audio and advanced features like subtitling and several audio tracks but you may find you can hapiplly live without them. As it happens, you can do all your encoding in Vegas prior to DVD authoring in DVDA

I sometimes use the cheap cheerful and capable Ulead Movie factory even if I edit in Vegas or Avid liquid 7

Richard Jones

Hi,

Very many thanks to you all. I have now ordered the full version of Vegas 6 + DVD6 from MVS, the store recommended by Senu.

best wishes to you all,

Richard Jones

rich_jtg

I don't suppose any one knows when 'Sony Vegas Movie Studio + DVD 7 Platinum Edition' is coming out in the UK?

I see it is available in the US, but I'm presuming is it preferable to get a European version.

It just seems a bit pointless in buying version 6, when 7 must be close! :)

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
There isn't any difference with the "European version" - it's only a question of when UK retailers get it.

Version 7 has been available for some months in the US, I'm not sure why there is such a delay in getting "boxed" versions of the software to the UK.

Unless you really want a CD, you can purchase the downloaded version direct from Sony Creative Software (in the US) today. With VAT it ends up being about 141.00 USD; which is about £70 at today's rate.

senu

Distinguished Member
For whatever reason is best Known to Sony media, There is no "non platinum" ver 7, and according to their resellers in the UK , they don't plan to market Ver 7 platinum in Europe.
Contrary to soundbites from SCS , just like ver 6 ,it doesn't seem to be North America specific

It doesn't (shouldn't) take that much to supply them with stock, especially if Vegas 7 (which was released at the same time) has been around for a while

As it happens, the Full Vegas Ver 8 ( and Movie Studio Platinum ) are expected in the Autumn,

rich_jtg

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated.

I'll probably download a copy from the website as I'm always of the mind that you should go for the latest version of this type of software.

On the other hand, looking on the Sony website, there doesn't appear to be that many differences between versions 6 and 7... I could just plump for a retail copy of version 6 platinum (£50 off Amazon) and then get an upgrade to version 8 later in the year. It would appear that there isn't much difference in price in the long run.

Will have to have a think!

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
A couple of comments...

1. Regardless of how you buy it (direct online, or boxed from Amazon or whoever) once you have registered the software you can always download the latest updates for a given major version. (Sony releases updates with fixes and sometimes even new functionality as a minor release, e.g. Verson 7.0a, 7.0b).

2. There's a few nice little features between V6 and V7, but the big difference is with editing HDV. Native editing of HDV is much faster on V7 and possible with a modest PC. If you are editing DV then the differences between 6 and 7 are minor in my view, and a strategy of buying 6 and later upgrading to 8 is a good one. If you are working with HDV I strongly recommend V7.

senu

Distinguished Member
The other thing is that unless you look around and find a great deal, Im not sure of any great cost differences between a retail ver 6 and a download ver 7

rich_jtg

Thanks for your input folks - it's really good to hear from people who have experience of the software.

I think I'm going to go down the version 6, then upgrade to 8 route. I'm not going to be editing any HD footage, and in the long run, it will only work out about £5-10 more after the upgrade, and I'll have the newer version. Plus, I'll have some time to get used to using version 6 (hopefully!).

Thanks again for your comments and pointers.

senu

Distinguished Member
If thats the case remember you can get the boxed version 6 even in places like PC World or Amazon. You can register it and still get the benefits of a download.

The advantage of a boxed version is
Paper manuals
Extra software on 2-3 CDs
You dont need to use your credit card ( as you would if buying from SCS) and give the card company a little extra for buying in dollars

Still if there is a cost advantage ... go for the download

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Senu,

I don't think you get a paper manual... when I bought Vegas 5 I bought a boxed version and it didn't have a manual. I've also heard with some of the later versions you don't even get a box - not that this matters, but some people have been unhappy that it shows a box but all they get is a CD....

senu

Distinguished Member
The (Boxed) copy of Sony Vegas Movie Studio +DVD Platinum Ver 6 I have has 3 x 100 odd page spiral bound paper manuals ( called Quick start manuals,) 1 each for Vegas MS and DVDA studio and one for Acid XMC,( bonus software)

The first page of these manuals has the individual registration serial no for each of the programs

It also has a CD with A limited sample of sound effects and a handbook "HDV WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW"
by Douglass Spotted Eagle ( I think hes called)
The main Vegas CD itself has 400 Pixelan effects and transitions

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Thanks Senu. I didn't get such a manual with Vegas 5.
Anyway, getting V6 from Amazon is cheaper than the download, so that is clearly the way to go. Then later he can buy the upgrade to V8 as a download.

N

nigelb

Is anyone using Vegas movie studio 6 with Windows Vista? Are there any issues?

I was going to try downloading the trial version from Sony's site but that appears to be version 7. Not a lot of use if you can only buy version 6 in this country.

I have been using Pinnacle Studio for several years but there are no Vista updates for my current version 9 and I have heard many horror stories about bugs in version 10.

senu

Distinguished Member
Is anyone using Vegas movie studio 6 with Windows Vista? Are there any issues?
There may be, Ive just been fortunate not to have them yet. Saying that, I do most of my ( serious ) work on XP

I was going to try downloading the trial version from Sony's site but that appears to be version 7. Not a lot of use if you can only buy version 6 in this country.
You can purchase the download version online anyway. However the differences are not dramatic, ( Im comparing the Full versions) although Mpeg ( and HD) editing are much better
Ver 8..which should be available here and have native vista support is expected in July or thereabouts
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515154

I have been using Pinnacle Studio for several years but there are no Vista updates for my current version 9 and I have heard many horror stories about bugs in version 10.
Version 11 is out now..

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audeze introduces reference LCD-5 planar magnetic headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Chord Electronics launches Anni desktop amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku announces new Streaming Stick 4K and OS 10.5
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components