Sony Vegas 8 Pro announced

I downloaded the trial version of the cut-down Vegas package (name escapes me) and can confirm that it works fine on Windows Vista, so I'll be upgrading to this from my Sony Vegas 7, which for me royally screws up my TV Tuner under Vista Home Premium.

I downloaded the trial version of the cut-down Vegas package (name escapes me) and can confirm that it works fine on Windows Vista, so I'll be upgrading to this from my Sony Vegas 7, which for me royally screws up my TV Tuner under Vista Home Premium.

Its called Sony Vegas Movie Studio , and was built from ground up to be Windows Vista compatible
For anyone else considering it, it has 75-80% of the Vegas Pro funtionality but only costs about 25-30% its cost. "Cut -down" is relative
The GUI is very similar so learning Movie Studio effectively make it easy to use the full version without any lack of familiarity and there are ( for a while) attractive upgrade cost options

Ok back from our three week DisneyWorld / St Petersberg holiday marathon, so firstley :hiya: and as we got back only yesterday still jet lagged :boring::boring: (read knackered not boring). I have about four hours worth of footage to edit from using my new HV20 and I'm going to need my first pc editing suite since my s-vhs analogue days.
As Senu and Mark may remember I was asking advice on editing suites and the Vegas 7 was recommended well now (as you told me) 8 was due and it is now imminent, what say you, do I need a full version (if there is a choice) and any idea of the price?

As Senu explained, I would recommend the more affordable Vegas Movie Studio Platinum (Version 8 for this is already out). It costs $120 US dollars (about ÂŁ60 at today's exchange rate), and really has about 80% of the features of the pro version (I actually counted them one day using the manual).
Vegas 7 Pro costs $525 (US), and I've heard rumour that Version 8 will be even more.
Sony offers discounted upgrades from the Platinum version to the full pro version. E.g the upgrade to Vegas 7 pro is $425, i.e. you almost get the full purchase price of the Platinum edition back. So I suggest you start with Platinum, and you can always upgrade later if you find you need some of the advanced features in that 20%.

Can you possibly explain the difference between 5.1 surround and stereo
AC-3 encoding and 5.1 surround mixing including film-style panning? Although panning I'm sure means following the sound to the direction of the image. What I do want though is 5.1 sound.

What is means is this:

"5.1 surround and stereo AC-3 encoding" means it will support 5.1 as input (e.g. if you have a 5.1 mic) as well as output (keep that 5.1 format out to DVD).

"5.1 surround mixing" gives you full control over mixing of each of the channels. So you could take inputs from 5 different sources and put one in each... put sound effects in the rear channels, etc....

5.1 sound, in theory sounds like a good idea. However unless you have microphones which can record in 5.1, using a stereo audio feed , then encoding in 5.1 can result in results ranging from pleasing to strange

If you do your video in 2 chanel ac3 ( dolby digital) , I imagine a competent AV receiver will do justice to it and give you Dolby Prologic II ( for movie or music) or Its DTS equivalent Neo 6 during playback

PS :Mark was quick on the draw ( as usual):)
However the point is made, Unless you have the microphone, and like the audio mix ( difficult to preview : I only do it with Avid Liquid 7s breakout box which has a 5.1 audio output for live preview,) It can be great, or sound gimmicky

Ok, the camcorder as stated is the Canon HV20 (a stereo model as you know, not DD AC3 stereo, well as far as I know) and my AV amp is the Denon AVC-A11XVA which has DD(ex), DTS(es), plus Prologic 11, DTS neo6 plus uncle Tom Cobbly and all. Given that, what Sony Vegas suite do I need to have to give music that I want to add in true 5.1 sound, or do I need it at all!! and instead lay down any music in straight stereo and rely on my amp to give 5/7.1 type surround effect (Prologic 11) and therefore leave the original stereo soundtrack (what I recorded when tapeing) in situ. Er does that make any sense I think I've lost myself 'elp.:confused:

As Senu suggested, I'd recommend sticking with stereo and letting your amp provide the surround sound. For this the Platinum version is fine.

To properly mix 5.1 is difficult. You also would need a good 5.1 setup connected to your PC so you could monitor the mix.

Thank you to both of you (Mark / Senu) given that I have Prologic 11x and THX post processing on my amp, and with your knowledgeable recommendations, I feel to go for the Platinum version 8 edition would suffice my needs. If I feel the need to upgrade then I have the option.:thumbsup:

Just to check though, if I want to get rid of some of the original soundtrack and replace it completly with music I'm assuming (that amongst many other things) I would be able to do that.

Also what is my best means of purchasing the product, via a shop online or bricks and mortor (I have access to Tottenham Court Road) or via Sony themselves as a download ( either UK or US), what do you think would be the most cost effective?

Once again thank you for your advice, this Is going to be a bit of a learning curve for me given that I use to edit s-vhs via two analogue s-vhs vcrs.:eek:

Just to check though, if I want to get rid of some of the original soundtrack and replace it completly with music I'm assuming (that amongst many other things) I would be able to do that.

Sure you can. With Platinum you have 4 audio tracks... so you could mix together the original track with music and some sound effects if you wanted to.... with the Pro version you have unlimited tracks (that is one of the main differences), but generally 4 is enough. (You also get 4 video tracks).

Generally it is cheapest to order as a download from the US, unless there is a special offer. VAT will be added to the price so you need to factor that in when making a price comparison.

Mark is "on the money" there
but
What youll find ( and you can try a trial version first) or wait for the boxed version which will come with real Paper manuals, A DVD tutorial and Bonus CDs with sound effects and royalty free samples of sound to replace or enhance ambience in your video
As such I would generally try for a boxed version even if it means someone in America sending it to you if you cant get it here in good time
With multiple sound tracks you could infact keep the original sound .. lower or increse its volume in parts as you please, it and use a sound track which is better and still do a narrative ..then increasing the original audio sounds volume when needed. You can adjust the volumes independently and apply effects similarly

wait for the boxed version which will come with real Paper manuals, A DVD tutorial and Bonus CDs with sound effects and royalty free samples of sound to replace or enhance ambience in your video./QUOTE]

I must say that I do prefer a paper manual rather than the online tutorials and to get the extra items you describe with the boxed version would be welcome even if it costs a bit more. There is no great hurry for me to edit all this footage so I will download the free trial, and as I have the abillity to mooch down Tottenham Court Road I will try to purchase the boxed version and of course make sure that I get version 8.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom