Sony vandalise Halo 3 on Wikipedia

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by TurquoiseShark, Sep 5, 2007.

1. TurquoiseShark

TurquoiseShark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not sure if this has been covered, but Sony keep on shooting themselves in the foot........ (this has been taken from planetxbox360)

Sony Vandalize Halo 3 Wikipedia Page
    by Matt Gibbs

Sony aren't looking forward to the release of Halo 3 and have even gone so low as to attempt, albeit pathetically, to edit the Wikipedia page for the game. Wikiscanner is a tool that somehow discovers the IP address of people who edited Wikipedia pages. Someone made changes to the Halo 3 page, referring to the graphics of the game, and the IP has been traced back to Sony Stuidos in the UK. Oh the shame!

Halo 3, the third game in the best-selling Xbox game franchise Halo, is a highly anticipated first-person shooter video game under development by Bungie Studios for the Xbox 360 and is expected to "set a new high water mark" for next-generation games, although it wont look any better than Halo 2.

The text in bold was added by Sony. Please... Anyway, the page has been locked down at Wikipedia, so no one else from Sony can come in and vandalize it.

2. OldSwitcheroo

OldSwitcheroo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,046

They're probably right though, from what I've seen it looks the same....

3. Ico.

Ico.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Already posted here yesterday, in the Halo 3 Preview thread post 627!:D

4. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    www.specsavers.com ;)

5. Ico.

Ico.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498

Looks the same:laugh: that is meant too be a joke yes! I know sarcasm can easily be lost in a forum post.:rotfl:

6. spidersheep

spidersheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To be honest, I was expecting it to look better than it does. However, with Bungie's track record I have no doubt the game will be excellent.

7. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I fixed it for you. When written like that, it's a bit of a non-story isn't it.

To be honest, the fidelity and scale of the graphics is much improved but the visual style is still locked to that of Halo: Combat Evolved. Bungie chose lots of flat shiny surfaces because that's what the Xbox did well. It does look a bit dated now. All the self-shadowing, bump-mapping, enviromentally-mapped wotnots in the world aren't going to stop Halo 3 looking like Halo: Shiny Edition.

It's the anticipation of the game that makes me wet; not the graphics.

8. TurquoiseShark

TurquoiseShark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony should worry less about what M$ are doing and get their own house in order.

Sony might've got rid of Ken, but his unprofessionalism seems to live on in Sony's employees. How long before Phil Harrison gets the golden handshake and retirement clock?

9. Ico.

Ico.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Phil Harrison went to EA months ago?:confused:

10. TurquoiseShark

TurquoiseShark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should read these forums more often :suicide:

11. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I should read these forums less often :D

12. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    Wasn't that Peter Moore?

13. Ico.

Ico.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    Ahh yes my memory is failing... I'll have to cut down on the beer there isn't many cells left.:blush:

14. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    It was me. I spoofed their IP and then edited the Wiki page :D

15. TurquoiseShark

TurquoiseShark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tsk, I thought I was getting old timers disease! Now at least I know my marbles are all still were I left them! :D

16. SkilledNutter

SkilledNutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Its a shame that Sony use 1 Corporate IP Address for all external web browsing from each workplace otherwise someone could pin point the actual workstation that made the edit and said named individual.

Sony internal IT Section will however trace this via their internal websence tracker as they will be able to see which staff logon was on Wiki at the stated time of the edit.

So the offending individual will be repremanded or maybe even a dismisal, but we will never know their name.

17. Raffboner

Raffboner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    more like a hand shake from the Sony losers

18. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Halo's the most overrated game series in the world. Dunno what all the fuss is about. 1 and 2 were nothing special at all. I'd take HL and HL2 over them anyday

19. caz2005

caz2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    That's funny. I think the same could be said about HL and HL2 :rolleyes:

20. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It could but then they actually have a compelling storyline as well as compelling characters. They also have interesting gameplay and are just overall a lot of fun. The same can't be said for the Halo franchise. The only thing the Halo franchise has done is make FPS games more accessible on the consoles through it's control system. Other then that the Halo games are pretty much run of the mill with nothing special about them. This is just my opinion of course. ;) :devil:

21. EDDS

EDDS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +675
    i hope that was a joke.

22. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    No it wasn't. That happens to be my opinion. I don't particularly like the Halo games and I do think they are overrated and overhyped. There really isn't anything compelling or special about them. Personally I find them boring. You can't expect everyone to like them just because they are the biggest thing on the Xbox consoles. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not the only one who feels that way about the Halo games.

23. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    I'm with Moogle personally I think Halo is massively over hyped in general. For me the big plus was playing co-op with friends via split screen as at the time it hadn't really been exploited before. Now of course the Co-op side is a big feature in most games of that ilk on the 360 so one of the most special features of Halo has been diluted. For those who thought Halo looked good on the Xbox then think about Black which was many times nicer looking.

In short Halo is a solid series but it isn't a Half Life, Deus Ex, Bioshock beater in my eyes. And for the record I did buy both Halo 1 & 2 and will be buying 3 on release day. As stated earlier in this thread the graphics will not matter so much for this game but they must give more value for money than Halo 2's single player game.

24. Raffboner

Raffboner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I may get Halo3 just for the multiplayer but im in no rush, atleast when it does come out all the idiots will play that and leave all us decent folk to enjoy Gears.

25. hutch

hutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,224
    I agree totally, like Halo but there are many better FPS imo.

26. SkilledNutter

SkilledNutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Agreed, Halo is good but it is way off the mark of excellent in the FPS Genre and as for Muiltiplayer nothing beats the scale of Battlefield

27. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I could've predicted this thread would go this way, but seeing as we're on the topic of Halo, I feel I have to defend my baby.

The original Halo is 6 years old now, having been released on the Xbox in 2001 (though we didn't get it 'til launch in the UK in March '02 IIRC). In the context of console shooters at the time, it stood head and shoulders above the crowd for several well founded reasons.

The AI reacted like nothing we'd seen at the time. Half-Life was obviously the ground-breaker in this regard, but Halo picked up the baton and introduced expansive battleground environments and multiple enemy classes fighting you simultaneously, each with their own strategy. Some would come straight for you, some hang back and pick you off from afar, some try and flush you with grenades. Learning these interactions was a joy, and still holds up in play today - the fact that so many shooters since have tried to copy this makes it feel generic today perhaps, but remember no-one had done this before Halo.

The control system was just - perfect. Everything was accessible and the variety of play this allowed the player was a new experience to console gamers, something of a preserve of the PC.

The storyline and environments were unprecedented - a consistent universe that had depth and characters you cared about (especially if you read the books) created a cinematic feel that we could live out on our big screen TVs and 5.1 systems and not holed up in front of our PCs. The impact of this can't be underestimated, especially when thinking about the audience that hadn't played videogames on such a scale before - not everyone had played Half-Life.

And moving on from Halo to it's sequel, it took online play to levels never seen before and created a social network that still exists today for many of us and is apparently still played by 1.5 million players. (We'll skip over the single player element of Halo 2, it was obvious it didn't meet expectations).

Taking all this into account, people are rightly hoping for a single player return to form for the series, it certainly has the potential for epic battles. Throw in some 4 player online coop and a deathmatch system so social and diverse as you could get in a FPS and it shouldn't be hard to see why some people get so excited about it.

So many take the Halo 2 single player dissappointment as ammunition for "over-hype" and yes it was a let-down, but take into account all the other elements and the potential of the third part and if you ask me the series is most definitely not over-rated. It has defined many of the elements of videogames play on consoles that you experience today.

28. shagaboopon

shagaboopon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +367
    Many good points Munkey Boy although I would add that do you think your perception of how good Halo is would be different if you didn't play the multiplayer game. I like my online shooters but stick to the PC for them where I can play with my clan, when you're not interested in the online aspect then a poor single player experience really lets you down.

The 4 player co-op is the feature I really love the sound of!

29. SkilledNutter

SkilledNutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    The Halo Franchise on Consoles does nothing the PC FPS Genre has not already, I can see your points as valid when it comes to consoles but it is not revolutionary or defining when it is copied from another platform or Franchise such as AI.

The Halo 2 Muiltiplayer on Xbox Live had no compitition and again did nothing the PC was not already doing.

Consoles will always be lagging behind when it comes to FPS's all the Halo franchise has proved is that Xbox is the console of choice for FPS.

Halo 1 on PC was over shadowed by the Half-life Franchise and more recently Halo 2 was over shadowed by S.T.A.L.K.E.R. As for Halo 1 & 2 Muiltiplayer on PC you will find a bigger community on Battlefiled 2 & 2142 with more player's per map and bigger playable enviroments.

Credit where credit is due however The Halo Story Arc is brilliant.

30. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    I assume when you say Halo there, you mean Halo 2? There was no online in Halo...

I would argue the console space is very different to the PC space - distant cousins if you will. I know it's possible to play a PC on a large flat screen display, but the vast majority don't. It's a different experience on a console - more cinematic, less technical, more emotional I would argue.

Woah there! I still haven't seen any game do what Halo 2 did 3 years ago to online multiplayer - I know of no other game with the party system. (Mind you, I did stop playing PC games a couple of years ago, couldn't keep up with the cost).