Sony VAIO TP3Z - anyone used one?

kingofpies

Having an HTPC is something I'd really like, and is something that I've been interested in doing for a couple of years now. However, as my desire for an HTPC increases, my available time to build and ficker is decreasing. As a compromise I was considering purchasing a Mac Mini, and I may still do, but I noticed the Sony VAIO TP3Z which seemed interesting. Looking at the specs it definitely is a compromise, but it would be great to buy something to plug in and just use.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? Does it have a nice UI, or is it basically PS3 or lower spec PC in a £600 case?

Link: https://www.sonystyle.co.uk/SonySty...2BC29B8547C558D551560034E10080002BC29B74)/.do

Mmm, noticed the link doesn't work.... will find a replacement.

Last edited:

Antics

I would be interested in thoughts on this one. I am considering buying one just for the size/form factor. It would sit neatly in the kitchen and keep the Mrs away froom the PC downstairs!

Could a similar sized one be built from components?

Antics

M

malta

kingofpies
this was reviewed on the gaget show last night
im sure its repeated or try five online

Malta

kingofpies

kingofpies
this was reviewed on the gaget show last night
im sure its repeated or try five online

Malta

Thanks. I saw this last night. They seemed to like it, but I'm not sure if they sold it to me. I'm going to wait a little bit longer to see if any more reviews become available. I'm definitely edging towards building my own though as the Sony looked like I'd have to spend some time tweaking the software anyway.

paulyd2k

Standard Member
hi guys, i have been seriously thinking gettiong one of these as they look so discreet,and the spec seemjs ok, and i also watched the gadget show last night and thought it had reasonable review, so may grab one soon, also did you see that monstrocity for £3,500 what a rip off, paulyd2k

acf

Placed an order with Microwarehouse last week but waiting for stock to come in :(

It was £812.96 but take off £35 Quidco cashback and it brings it down nicely.
And contrary to the Gadget Show, all the spec sheets say it has a twin digital tuner.

Lookin forward to it

Ad

Digitalize

Banned
My Dad is looking into one of these, so if possible, a nice write up, mini review with pictures?

Few Points i wanna know.
1. How Easy Is It To Play DVD's and Blu-Rays?
2. Picture Quality?
3. Do You Deal With the Windows Interface? Or Can it Boot With its own Media GUI?
4. Whats the supplied Keyboard/Mouse Combo like to use?

Thanks in advance.

acf

Will try and do a mini review once it's arrived and got to grips, hoping it'll be here the end of the week :)

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
For those considering a MacMini - some of the rumour sites are suggesting a mid-November refresh. (Now if they put a 9300 or 9400 chipset in there - it could be a very neat solution for some situations)

Other rumour sites have suggested it might be quietly dropped though...

awilde

Standard Member
Just received my VGXTP3Z last night and fired it up. Installation went fine without any issues and everything is working how it should do.

Media control is through the Vista Media Player, which works quite well. The overall picture quality and sound is good but I have not tried the recording function yet. There is Sony's own media player however I need more time to play around with the functions.

My only disappointment is the quality of the inbuilt mouse in the keyboard, it would have been better to use the same one as in the Vaio Notebooks.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Regarding the Gadget Show on C5... that was absolutely terrible.
I was told by a friend they were doing reviews on HTPC's, so I watched it.

They had 3 machines, one was a "custom build" shuttle PC at £800, one was the VAIO at £800 and one was a mammoth voice recognition system at £3k

Not much variety really...
Their reviews were based mainly on noise and how well they played "web videos", who buys a HTPC to watch youtube... really.

I think you're better looking at online reviews, or if you have the time/knowledge, to build your own, it is the cheapest option. However if you want a quick HTPC then the VAIO is a nice stylish and quite good operating machine.

I'm intersted to see what peoples views are that own one, I seem to recall seeing some members having one in their set-up in pictures, I believe THE_FORCE has one, I may be wrong.

My only question is, is there room for another hard drive in there?

either way it's certainly a good looking machine.

awilde

Standard Member
I have not taken it apart yet but I very much doubt that there is space for a second hard drive. The only way to increase the storage would be to use an external Hard Drive or NAS.

With 27gb of data on a blu ray disk it's easy to store off line.

Barry.NI

I believe that there were problems with the resolution, and the picture not filling the entire screen, on the original XL 100 202 302 models which did not have a VGA output. The VGX-TP3Z is the latest model, there are quite a few TP2 for sale on ebay at various prices. I would also be interested in getting one and using it as a substitute for SKY+, how easy is it to record Freeview programmes? Has anyone used it with the BBC i player, what is the quality assuming a good broadband connection?

NWillz

Standard Member
Does anybody know when this model was actually released? Im thinking of getting one but i dont want to pay £800 for them then to release an updated model in a few months. would it be worth waiting or will an update not be released anytime soon?

Also does anybody know how easy it is to upgrade if you wanted to put a bigger hard drive or update the proccessing speed etc. for future preference? ive read that it is hard to take apart has anybody actually done this?

Look forward to getting some feedback from people.

NWillz

Standard Member
Sorry guys another quick question :

because the TP3Z hasnt got 802.11/n built in, what would you have to do to be able to use it in the future when everything will be 802.11/n as standard?

M

mattty

Hi,
im looking at buying a Sony VGX-TP3Z.how much different are they to use than a standard pc?? I like it because they are small,hdmi output and the blue ray player is always a winner for me.Ill only be watching movies,playing music,photos and seaching the web.... is this for me or will i be waisting my cash???
open to suggestions
thanks people
:lease: help me

pbu50w

Standard Member
Exactly the same as a standard PC except connects very easily to all your home entertanment systems (plasma, amp, etc.)

I use mine with XBMC insead of MCE as the digital freeview is not important too me. Works excellent. I would rate it as the best gadget in the house (and I've got quite a few).

CHerron

Standard Member
I'm also considering buying one of these systems.

Is it possible to upgrade the hdd? 500gig just isnt enough. im more after 1tb or 1.5tb

pbu50w

Standard Member
I've upgraded mine to a 1TB drive and has been working great for a couple of months now. There is only space for 1 drive but 1TB is enough for me. I was going to install XP but couldn't find any compatible drivers to make the built in RCU work so am stuck with Vista.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom