1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vaio Pocket VGF-AP1 and NW-HD1/3/5 battery life....

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mcfarfs, Apr 25, 2005.

1. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    With regards to the above players, does anyone else find the stated battery lifes quite suspicious?

~ Sony Vaio Pocket VGF-AP1 - 20 hours

~ Sony NW-HD1/3 - 30 hours

~ Sony NW-HD5 - 40 hours

Notice the pattern?!

It seems to me that Sony are either limiting the battery life of the players to those nice numbers (unlikely) or are rounding up/down the stated battery life. Almost certainly rounding up, wouldn't you say?

It would be an extraordinary coincidence if that is the genuine maximum battery life for the individual players!

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    This is only if you have music at Atrac 64 - the lowest bitrate, hardly mess with player, so it doesn't have 2 access HD (using up battery), backlight off and volume at average level etc.

But when I experimented, mine lasted 25hrs and 45 mins, when left alone with music @ Atrac 3+ 256 (highest quality atrac format). I did this twice. Both came out roughly like this. Taking HD3 2 college, when I mess about with it, it still lasts me thru day (23hrs?) I have 2 charge it every 2 days. I have backlight at 50% contrast, on auto setting as well (light up for 30 secs with each button press)

Its recommended that u charge battery fully when u 1st get HD3 then let it run down fully. I did this twice, only after I panicked when it lasted a pitiful 9 hrs 1st time around. Now its more than doubled! :thumbsup:

P.S. Still lasts longer than Ipod Photo (15hrs) and improved mini (18hrs). OK independent tests (for u Ipod lovers), e.g. Ipodlounge.com gives mini 21hrs? but its still less than HD3. I'll be interested what battery for full size Ipods will be when Apple change/upgrade insides like they did with mini mark II

3. betamax

betamax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure it'll say "in optimum conditions" somewhere in small print on the Sony blurb, like with mobile phones!

Seriously, doesn't it just mean that Sony have kept up with battery developments while Apple haven't?

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Yeh, I know that the stated battery life is playing atrac3plus 48 kbps, with no track changing, etc.

But I still think the obvious pattern is very unlikely to be the true maximum battery life!

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sony have always made ridiculous claims for battery life which don't hold up to reality but the battery life of the HD3 is nevertheless very decent. One of the problems I have with it though is the reduced contrast of the screen compared to the likes of the iPod means that I can glance at it when I take it out of my pocket, and if the lighting is not optimal (or unless I press something) it can sometimes seem to be off, so it's left playing. Result: not a flat battery in the morning but still a considerably reduced charge.

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have to agree with you on that one. It is such a nuisance, I often find myself having to press a button just so the backlight comes on and I can actually see the screen! Otherwise it often appears completely black.

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    One of the problems of using multiple players (apart from for example the joys of having Creative Mediasource, iTunes, Sonicstage, iRiver Plus and Rio Music Manager fight it out for control of your music library) is that you don't develop habits to account for player tics. I have to say it's quite often that my HD3 doesn't start the day with anywhere near a full charge. If it didn't have the great battery life, I think I would probably end up being extremely frustrated.

8. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Oh yeh, that must be fun!

I suppose they all like to set themselves as the default player for mp3s?!

Why have you got so many players anyway? I wish I had all the mp3 players available (well...decent ones). It must be so fun just to think, "Hmmmmm, I'm feeling creative today...."!

Sorry rubbish pun.

9. Calza

Calza
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just imagine what the hd7 will have 50 hours battery life
    and then the hd9 with 70

10. Liam0s

Liam0s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a HD5 almost 3 days ago, and it's still going strong from initial charge. It's down to the last segment before it starts flashing, which, considering I
    a) transferred about 5GB or so using USB only (didn't use the AC, as I wanted to run the battery down fully before charging with AC again). I of course realise it charges over the USB, but doesn't get as much power as quickly as it does over the adapter, so it wasn't plugged in very long.
    b) have substituted the player for Winamp and my stereo for music at the computer, also an attempt to run the battery down and test its life.

I am impressed so far, but it sounds that LFC_SL with their HD3 found that battery improved significantly after a couple of full power downs, so I guess I'll do that. I'm also re-compressing my mp3s (at least, the ones I know I'll listen to more/have more chance (being more albums) of coming on) in an attempt to increase battery life.

Are there any other tips to get the most out of your battery? I think I've heard things like, don't leave it plugged in to charge if it doesn't need to (like leaving it overnight when the thing charges in 2 hours, or just on charge when it's only been used for an hour or something)... stuff like that.

The reason I got the HD5 is because I'm going overseas at the end of the year and the total time in-flight alone is 19 hours, not counting time in connection, so I want a player that's going to last the majority (I won't be, and regulations prohibit ;) , using it all of the time) of the trip. So far... I don't have one complaint (not even about Sonic Stage... I honestly don't have a problem with it! My computer runs it fine).

Thank god I haven't succumbed like my peers to the iPod.

11. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something I find helps sustain the HD5 battery for longer: invert the screen to negative. It means you can lower the contrast without text becoming invisible, and it seems then only to 'illuminate' - shall we say - the required text, leaving everything else dark/unlit(?). What does drain it a bit (though far less than I expected), is the Digital Surround Presets - especially if, like me, you have both bass and treble set to +3db (fabulously full sound, incidentally!). And the bafflingly good 64kbps ATRAC3Plus also reduces strain on the battery - whereas, WMA in seemingly any bitrate tends - IMO, and that of some DAP manufacturers it appears - to yum up juice. Anyone know why?

As an aside, Sony's claims for battery life, while being just as 'ambitious' as anyone else's, do tend to work out fairly honestly, if my experience with countless CD Walkman's is anything to go buy. Admittedly, I was using dry AAs back then, but, when the stated time was, say, 50hrs, I could usually squeeze out around 46hrs.

12. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone realised that the backlight comes on when you press a button even though the player is on hold?....so if the player is in your pocket and you accidently press something, the backlight comes on just to display "HOLD" when NOBODY can see it...Obviously if you press something on purpose when hold is on you still dont need the backlight to come on showing "HOLD" because you can tell its on hold when NOTHING happens.....they must really have rushed the making of this player...

13. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It would also prevent someone suspecting their player wasn't working when in reality it was on hold. I'm sure it would prevent a lot of calls to Sony support from new owners. After using the device for a while though I'm sure owners would realise to check the hold button position.

I do acknowledge that a nice option would be to have the ability to switch off this feature to extend battery life further.

14. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You would still know that it is working because "HOLD" is still displayed on the screen. Just there is no backlight. I don't think people would go and email Sony before they check if hold is switched on.

15. JB5

JB5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Apologies should have read your post more carefully, but..

By "NOTHING happens" I take it you mean HOLD would be displayed but the backlight wouldn't illuminate?
    Source of my confusion! ;)

16. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes thats right. :) Yeah nothing happens as in you pressed the button and it didn't do what it normally does. Instead displays 'hold'...I havn't checked what other players do in this situation...

17. Giant Rabbit

Giant Rabbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LFC - thanks for the tip but one question - do you mean to say that with the HD3 at 256kbps it gives you 23 hours playback???

I think after some listening tests that my music will be between 132 and 192 kbps, both ATRAC and MP3. Im worried though that the battery life may suffer badly - I would like 25 hours of playing time at a minimum with my HD5...