1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Vaio P3

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richjthorpe, Jan 24, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi guys,

We've got an old laptop with an AMD K6 533 CPU in it. I was think about hooking it up to the LCD panel I'm getting but wondered if it was powerful enough.

There are 2 levels I'm looking at.....

1. General web browsing and emailing.
    2. Movie playing.

I'm guessing the first is really easy but the second would kill the laptop. Would it make a difference at all if I put more memory in there ? It's got 124MB RAM (Don't know why it's 124MB but that's what it says on the system) at the moment and I would be hooking it up to a Sharp 32" LCD 1368x768.

Any ideas ?

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its probably showing 124mb of ram because 4mb is being used by your integrated graphics.

Even if you added more ram I suspect that its a bit slow to play movies although it should be fine for web browsing, which OS are you on?

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Using XP Pro at the moment. Do you think I should downgrade to Home to save on memory ?

4. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Rich to tell you the truth getting a 533 to do anything other than overlay DVD playing is a non-starter. Ram would not overcome the inherent weakness of the CPU regardless of the OS used. Now if all you want is a simple DVD player you would be fine with XP Pro as it is.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Home might be ok but you could create the same effect but turning off many of the unused windows services, disabling themes etc to save resources, it won't be great but it cant be any worse than it is.

6. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I should add that the DVD playback quality of such a system would not match a dirt cheap DVD player with RGB output.