Sony vaio - No Internet

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by yorkshirecath, Feb 7, 2014.

1. yorkshirecath

yorkshirecath

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    So i have a Sony Vaio and it has suddenly just decided the internet doesn't want to work. I have the bars in the bottom right with a yellow ball over them (it was a red cross but i think i updated a driver and now it's changed to that), it just says limited access. I have also tried attaching to my modem with an Ethernet cable and that won't connect either. In my adapter setting it shows 4 connections: Bluetooth (not connected) LAN - Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (network cable unplugged) Wireless Network Connection - Atheros AR9485WB-EG Wireless Network Adapter (Enabled) Wireless Network Connection 3 - Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2 (not connected)

If i troubleshoot it says:

There may be a problem with the driver for the Local Area Connection Adapter

There may be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection 3 Adapter

A bit more info about the computer - It has Windows 7 Home Premium on it which came installed. Its an Intel Core i3

Just to add the internet is working perfectly on my other laptop and desktop

Thanks for any help!!

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    It looks like the driver has been updated on the network card more than once hence the #3 after the title.

Go into control panel\device manger
    - expand network adapters
    - right click on atheros wireless and select uninstall
    - right click select Realtek and select uninstall
    - right click on microsoft virtual miniport adapter and uninstall
    - turn off computer

Turn computer back on and boot into windows, let it re-install the network adapter automatically.

Once the drivers are back in try re-connecting to your existing wireless network and if it works pick home usage on network type.

yellow & grey bars = not connected to any wireless network.
    yellow & white bars = network configuration problem, as everything is fine on other PC's most likely it's the laptop that is the cause.
    red x = means network disconnection

If none of that works then I would suggest doing a system restore to a point before the last driver update if one is available, type into windows run system restore and it will allow you to see what points are available.