Sony Vaio desk top computer pcv-rx 302 not switching on.

bmg1275

Novice Member
Vaio desk top computer pcv-rx 302 not switching on.
Hello folks, looking for some help, I have a Sony vaio pcv-rx 302, running windows XP, which I have owned for 20 years, it lives in our spare bedroom and gets used 3-4 times a year, just to listen to some old music.
The other day I switched it on at the front of the tower, no problem, then on the monitor there was some sort of menu appeared. I honestly didn't have a clue what to do. I pressed a few keys then pressed enter on the keyboard, then the computer went dead. Now the tower is dead, when you press the power on switch, nothing happens, no lights, nothing. I have fitted a new cmos battery, made no difference. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

bmg1275

Novice Member
Hi, thanks for your reply, I'm sure it was a black screen with yellow text and it gave you options to press different f keys, sorry that's all I can remember.

outoftheknow

I honestly didn't have a clue what to do. I pressed a few keys then pressed enter on the keyboard, then the computer went dead. Now the tower is dead, when you press the power on switch, nothing happens, no lights, nothing. I have fitted a new cmos battery, made no difference.
'm sure it was a black screen with yellow text and it gave you options to press different f keys
Lesson 1 in basic computing. When you have no clue what to do, post a thread asking for advice on AVF before
I pressed a few keys then pressed enter on the keyboard, then the computer went dead

Unfortunately given the limited details as to what the message was, it is impossible to guess what has happened.

Running XP may be a probelm for seeing what is left on the hard drive. Do you have the XP physical media by any chance? Even then if it sees the OS I have no idea if updates would be applied up to the date of zero support for XP.

when you press the power on switch, nothing happens, no lights, nothing.
Before doing that hold the power button down for more than 7 seconds. Unplug the PC and then after 20 seco0nds or so plug back in. Press power button and report if anything happens. Beeps, lights whatever. If it is easy to remove the side panel to see the motherboard do that and see if anything lights up, spins or beeps.

bmg1275

Novice Member
Lesson 1 in basic computing. When you have no clue what to do, post a thread asking for advice on AVF before

Unfortunately given the limited details as to what the message was, it is impossible to guess what has happened.

Running XP may be a probelm for seeing what is left on the hard drive. Do you have the XP physical media by any chance? Even then if it sees the OS I have no idea if updates would be applied up to the date of zero support for XP.

Before doing that hold the power button down for more than 7 seconds. Unplug the PC and then after 20 seco0nds or so plug back in. Press power button and report if anything happens. Beeps, lights whatever. If it is easy to remove the side panel to see the motherboard do that and see if anything lights up, spins or beeps
Thanks for the guide, I've went through this and nothing happens, no beeps, no lights, totally dead. When I had the cover off I checked if there was any power between the red and black terminals going to the switch, I got a reading of 3 volts.

Attachments

• IMAG9445.jpg
    IMAG9445.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMAG9444.jpg
    IMAG9444.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 10

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom