1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony VA333ES power

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SonyES, Dec 15, 2003.

Tags:
  1. SonyES

SonyES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I´d like to know how loud can the owners of Sony STR-VA333ES to take it?

I was testing mine with Two Towers Extended Edition and noticed some distortion at least in center channel in chapter 11 during Boromir´s speech and people cheering. Volume was set at -20.0

So I would believe that -20 should be still ok to use, am I wrong?

And generally how do you people think about the power of this amp?

Thanks for any replies :)

Ps. Impedance of my speakers is 4 ohm and 4 ohm is set from the back of the 333.

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi SonyES
    What speakers are you using?
    Cheers Gonzo

3. SonyES

SonyES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´m using Swedish made Audio Pro speakers
    Front: Blue Diamond
    Back: Black Diamond
    Center: Black Vector

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi sonyES
    I wouldnt run your speakers at very high levels with the receiver that you have(did a search on google)you are most likely running the amp close to clipping which would damage your speakers,amps with the ohms selecter switch are under powered from what i know all the switch does is restrict the power to the amps so as not to run out of steam very quickly.
    I think to run at very high levels with your speakers you will need to upgrade your receiver if you dont you risk frying your tweeters.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    The absolute setting of the volume control is pretty much irrelevant - it is just an input attenuator in most cases. The setting you need will depend on the output level of whatever is driving it; this will vary between different makes and models of equipment even when playing the same disc.

That said, gonzo's comments stand.

6. SonyES

SonyES

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies :)

I guess I just might have to get one of the topper models of H/K
    to reach the levels of volume and power that I´d like to.

Otherwise I like the Sony pretty much though, but I like power and loud volume levels.

How do you Gonzo find your H/K 8500 when it comes to power and sound quality in general?

Man, I still have to say that the STR-VA333ES gold in color looks pretty awesome (IMHO) :)

Ps. Any VA333ES or VA555ES owners here? I´d like to hear your comments about the power of the two guys.

7. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi SonyES
    I wont be connecting the Harman kardon up till after the new year having a new stand made to fit it on.I admit to buying blind as nobody in my area had hk on demo,The dealer i ordered off is a hk stockist but only orders the big av stuff to folks that want it.I did my research though and doubt i will be dissapointed.
    The Avr8500 was tested and it output 255 watts in to 2 channels 4 ohms and 185 watts all 5 channels driven 4 ohms which should be loud enough for most.
    Cheers Gonzo.

8. morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've never really heard distortion from my VA555ES even when driving Lord of the Rings to very high levels. From what i've heard the 333ES uses lesser quality parts throughout and has a less capable power supply. I think the capacitors in the 333ES although the same rating (71v, 15,000uf) are generic
    parts rather than high quality Nichicon Gold Tune models used in the VA555ES. I'd be interested how a 333ES would compare to a 555ES if completely recapped with higher quality parts.

9. WhiskyCorner

WhiskyCorner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a STRVA555ES expert, I hope you may be able to help answer a question I have.

I run a Sony DVPNS999ES through my STRVA555ES to 10 Sony Tan55ES power amps (yes, I know its excessive - but the sound is sublime). I was using an old sony CRT widescreen TV for visuals, but this recently gave up the ghost, and was promptly replaced by the new 40 inch Sony Bravia W series LCD.

Here is where the problems begin - while sound and vision were perfectly synchronised with the old TV, the image on the new LCD lags slightly behind the sound through the STRVA555ES - very annoying to watch!

Is there some way I can slow the STRVA555ES output down a fraction to re-synch sound & vision?

Any assistence greatly received,
    All the Best,
    John