• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony v32a12u PQ not as good as Panny 500?

C

Crudeoil

mornin' all,

I received my v32 yesterday after having to return my Panasonic LXD500 to Currys due to scratches on screen.

I have to say I'm really quite disappointed with the PQ compared to the Panny.
I'm trying to work out whether I just haven't got the settings right or if the v32 just isn't as good as the Panny for how I watch TV.

The main problem I'm seeing is what i would describe (maybe wrongly) as pixelisation - around moving images mainly. This happens when watching football but also more concerningly when watching many other TV programs. It also seems to be a bit blotchy when showing solid blacks

In terms of viewing I watch Sky 90% of the time and DVD's 10% of the time so getting a good picture from Sky is really important to me.

I've got it connected up to my Sky+ box by RGB SCART.

Any one got any opinions whether I can do anything about this by changing settings or cables or anything or whether the Sony is not as good as the Panny for what I'm watching?

I'd REALLY appreciate any help - thanks!

C

Crudeoil

andrewfee said:
This sounds to me more like the Sony actually reproducing the source more accurately - the Panasonic may have had slower response times which helped "blur out" the "blocks" - what you are seeing is the terrible levels of compression that Sky apply to their images.

The Sony does indeed have a quicker response time than the Panasonic.

So does that mean theres nothing I can do about it?

I assume theres no way to improve the Sky+ feed by using any other cable etc.?

Maybe I'll have to return the Sony and get another Panasonic....:suicide:

Argee1977

Established Member
Have you gone into the picture menu, i've been messing about with different settings on that and find that when it arrives it has a high contrast, sharpness and noise reduction is on auto. If you have a read of this board you'll find different settings.

As i say i've used a few, the one i'm on just now is:

Mode: Custom
Contrast: 67
Brightness: 53
Colour: 27
Sharpness: Min (0)
Backlight: 5
Colour Tone: Neutral
Noise Reduction: BNR (although i do turn it off sometimes, i never use auto/high/low as it blurs the picture)

Dynamic Picture: Off
Gamma Correction: 3

If you like you could enter those settings and then mess about from there as i know a few people on here use similar settings, bar the usual upping and lowering by a few points to suit their needs.

Cunny

Established Member
I'm experiencing similar problems with my Sony KDL-V32A12U and Sky
It's is very 'grainy' - I am linking Sky+ to AV2 on the TV with a scart.

When I view Sky via the DVD on AV1 it is much better but still quite pixelated, with some ghosting.

Is there anything I can do with settings or interconnects to deal with this?

Turb007

Prominent Member
Try S-vid from sky its a vast improvement. :thumbsup:

C

Crudeoil

Argee1977 said:
Have you gone into the picture menu, i've been messing about with different settings on that and find that when it arrives it has a high contrast, sharpness and noise reduction is on auto. If you have a read of this board you'll find different settings.

As i say i've used a few, the one i'm on just now is:

Mode: Custom
Contrast: 67
Brightness: 53
Colour: 27
Sharpness: Min (0)
Backlight: 5
Colour Tone: Neutral
Noise Reduction: BNR (although i do turn it off sometimes, i never use auto/high/low as it blurs the picture)

Dynamic Picture: Off
Gamma Correction: 3

If you like you could enter those settings and then mess about from there as i know a few people on here use similar settings, bar the usual upping and lowering by a few points to suit their needs.

Thanks.:) I've noted a few different configurations and I'll play around with them to see if it helps.

C

Crudeoil

Turb007 said:
Try S-vid from sky its a vast improvement. :thumbsup:

Really? From the FAQ I got the impression that RGB scart was better than S-vid...
I'm a complete novice with this stuff but I'll give it a go :)

RGB is a clearer signal type than S-Video (Y/C) usually.
That can actually work to your advantage here though. S-Video for me on Freeview actually helps to smudge out detail, as well as compression problems. Give it a try and see how you like the image quality.

At the end of the day DTV is going to look bad.

So does that mean theres nothing I can do about it?
Not unless you want to buy a pricey scaler.

Turb007

Prominent Member
I had a £38 QED RGB scart connected to my V32 Bravia for SKY+ and then connected a £7.99 s-vid cable from maplin which was much better

now its connected thru my Yammy RXV-2600 using HDMI and its near perfect :cool:

with regards to settings it depends on your eyes/taste / room lighting ..for reference mine are set to

Contrast = Max
Brightness = 65
Colour = 25
Sharpness = 18
Backlight = 5
Colour Tone = Neutral
Dynamic Picture = off
Gammer correction = 0

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom