Sony V32 vs Panny 32LXD500 / 32LXD60 vs Philips 329830

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by whitenoise, Mar 9, 2006.

?
  1. Sony V32

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Panny 32LXD500

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  3. Panny 32LXD60

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Philips 329830

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. whitenoise

whitenoise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people!

Been lurking here a while, but thought it was about time to post my first thread. I need a second TV for a bedroom. Now if space wasn't an issue I just buy another 32" Philips CRT that we have - you can throw anything at a CRT and it Will always give you a decent picture. However this is not an option as it is *huge* and weights more than an elephant! Getting it up the stairs would be interesting, and It would probably fall through the ceiling!

Anyway! I am looking to play DVD's, games (playstation and the occasional megadrive (!) and watch normal analogue TV (not through sky or freeview). Now I have found that both LCD's or Plasmas won't do all these things - it appears that they do some but not all. Worried about the problems with screen burn etc with plasmas, I have decided to go with an LCD. The choice doesn't get any easier though! I have narrowed it down to the following, but I just cant decide! Can you guys help? Sorry its another "help me decide thread"!

The options are :

Sony KDL-V32A12U
    Panasonic TX-32LXD500
    Panasonic TX-32LXD60
    Philips 32PF9830

If possible I am looking for a LCD that has the best possible picture on DVD's, games and normal tv. I have always used good quality RGB scarts to watch DVD's, but apparently component is better? Is it worth shelling out to buy a decent component lead? HDMI is useful for future proofing but my DVD doesn't have HDMI or a DVI connection (but does have Dolby Headphone :D ) so that connection is kinda redudant at the moment. The picture needs to be like the Philips CRT in that you can set it to "Auto format" , basically stretching /adjusting the picture to fit the screen so you see no or little black bars when watching a dvd. PC connection would be good but not essential.

The above panels all seem to be good, the Amblight on the Philips is cool, although are the bugs, cold resets etc worth it?

Hopefully you guys can help - sorry for the long post!!

2. marchudman

marchudman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    A vote like this is likely to be somewhat driven by what people own.

The Panny 500 and Phillips are both superb - either one would be great.

I looked at both and ended up with the Panny 500. The phillips is quite a bit bigger than the the rest, if space is an issue then I would check that out first. The Panny is also a fair bit cheaper! Especially as it will be discountinued very soon, you could get a bargin.

3. Argee1977

Argee1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    From what i saw the Panasonic 500 was the best picture in the shop for 32", but i couldn't really rate it better than the others just on that unless you go through all the ways you could enhance each model to get the best results.

The Phillips was also great but there was just something about it that put me off at the last minute, which was annoying as i'd set myself on getting the 9830 (37" model) due to it being the new release.

The sony was a funny one, i viewed it in dixons/currys and it didn't look as good as the panny 500 next to it, but viewing it in the Sony Centre it looked a lot better, but i'd think they were running off the same feed so thats why i'd go for the panny 500.

The other one i've not seen, so i won't ramble on anymore

:D

4. whitenoise

whitenoise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the opinions guys - this LCD buying business is a tough game! Will have to try out all of the (available) sets to see what they look like in the flesh.