1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony "V" vs. Sony "W"

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by scarty16, Sep 16, 2005.

1. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    What are the differences?

Apart from the cosmetic stuff like the frame/surround?

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told by one of the guys at the local Sony Centre that the upcoming W40 LCD will have a faster response time than the V40 , therefore making it better for gaming and watching sports... but apparently some forummers on here reckon this isn't true.

3. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    That is what I want to hear, as motion blur is not nice and I watch alot of sport.

4. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF you watch a lot of sport, than from what i've seen , LCDs just aren't upto it.. if you want the honest truth. I'm sure some will disagree, but than I guess some people notice motion blur/judder more than others..

Personally, I can't stand anything less than smooth and fluid motion when watching football.. and for that reason alone i'm almost ruling out an LCD..

5. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I have only tended to see them running in Comet/Currys etc where I know that they are not set up properly.

6. bigrick

bigrick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming LCD won't be able to handle fast images in the near future, do you think PLASMA is the answer for the moment ?

I've been looking arround and I can also see the motion blur on those sets ...

Do we have to keep the CRT for sports ?

7. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bigrick, I have personally taken a look at a variety of plasmas from all makes and to be honest, there is motion blur on most of the plasmas i've seen too (although not quite as severe as it is on LCDs)... especially plasmas from the likes of Samsung, LG, and cheaper brands like Hyundai etc.

Mind you its not just the cheaper brands that suffer from this 'motion' handling issue.. even the highly rated and 'award winning' Pioneer 435 plasma , is known to be poor with football and fast movements.. resulting in smearing and blur.

But out of all the plasmas i've seen, I will have to say that the Panasonic Viera range of plasmas (particularly the 42PE50) are head and shoulders above the rest in this aspect of motion handling -- seriously, the motion on the PE50 is as smooth and fluid as you can get on a CRT, and that is my conclusion after seeing it with both the Ashes cricket a few weeks ago and also testing it out with a DVD recording of a football match.

It was superb!! the Panasonic Viera 42PE50 is closest thing to a 42" CRT television with not only superb picture quality (a lot of expensive plasmas will boast that) but it really does handle motion as good as a CRT... and this comes from someone, who is very fussy over motion blur - I just can't tolerate it at all.

MY only reluctance with going for a plasma was screen burn concern - but from what I have read and the experience of other users on these forums with the Panasonic SD panels, assures me that they are as close to screen burn resistant plasma technology as there is ..

Therefore, if you are a sports fan and want a big screen primarily for watching football - I am in no doubt that the Viera plasmas are the best solution out there.. not marginally better than their alternatives when it comes to motion handling, but head and shoulders above.. (and as gizlaroc on Plasma forums confirms, this is because the Panasonic plasmas display at 50hz and therefore do not need to do frame rate conversion - which is the case with most other plasmas - therefore resulting in blur... as for LCDs and motion handling, well.. to say they are disappointing with football is an understatement!!)

8. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All new SONY LCD S,V,W have the same panel.
    V has better picture engine, W has S-master sound, nothing more.
    The picture quality of V and W must be the same.