1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony V versus Philips 9830

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by daxie, Oct 5, 2005.

1. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody did some comparative testing between the two?

Unfortunately I can not find a shop which has the 32" 9830 on display.

I saw the V series and thought blacks were very good, a lot of detail, good colour and sharpness.

But connection wise the philips is a lot better, and I can get them for a comparable price (philips maybe £100 more).

Any thoughts?

daxie

2. PUD the Ancient

PUD the Ancient

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    I have tested both extensively with Sky, DVD and xbox and found the philips to be far superior to the sony in every way. For a start it handles sky and digital tv a lot better than the sony. The sony has some smearing and screen judder with fast movement and long camera pans. The blacks are a lot better on the philips also with more detail in darker areas of the screen.I found the colours to be more vibrant aswell although not much in it. As far as DVD goes I found both sets to be very good but the philips has the edge in that department aswell. Had my pioneer 868 running at 1080i on the 37" philips (which has a resolution of 1920*1080) over HDMI and it looked awesome, The screen was completely free of noise and the the picture was so sharp and detailed, it almost looked 3d, I thought it was going to jump out at me. the philips handles the xbox and consoles better aswell, the sony can show up some jaggies and smearing with pal games but the philips does not and handles the games perfectly. Anyway just my opinion but I spent the last few months testing all the new lcd's that have just come out and found the philips to be the best.

3. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have viewed the 37" Sony V series and Philips 9830 and thought the 9830 was the boss in most respects. It certainly looks the business. Standard material (freeview, Sky, ntl etc) is better on the Philips. Both sets were comparable with HD material.

The 9830 is probably the best LCD on the market at the moment. However, it does come at a premium.

Some forum members may argue there is comparable performance available for less money. The Hitachi and Samsung LCD's for example.