1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony v tosh v philips v panny

Discussion in 'TVs' started by NAI, Dec 15, 2003.

1. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    'ello all!

Right, straight down to business. I’m choosing a new TV to replace my antique 21" Hitachi... but I’m have troubles deciding on a make, model and size :(

A few details first: I’m a big game player. I own all the PAL machines (PS2, GC and XB). So basically I want a TV that is very capable of running them with no side effects from any processing that the TV does. They will be running through RGB scarts and sound is handled by a separate system.
    I’m getting into DVDs. I have recently acquired the Toshiba SD-330E after reading rave reviews and seeing its only £100 max, can’t be bad. Also if I get a TV that handles progressive scan the components will come in to good use.
    I’m not interested that much in the sound of the set. I have a separate home cinema system which will handle the sonics. (If any one is interested: Denon AVR2801, Tannoy MX4 x2, MXR x2, MXC and REL Q150E)

Size: this is where it starts… I’ve gone from 28 to 32 to 28 back to 32, a brief stop at 36 and back down to 28 again?!! For my room size, I’m going to be sitting around 5-6 foot away from the screen; I think I have finally chosen that a 28" screen is probably most suitable.
    Then again I can just move my sofa back to get around 7-8 foot back, so looks like 32 has entered the equation again. I decide on the size later.

So on to the make and models.
    I’ve looked at the Philips **pw9308. From what I’ve read it’s meant to have a stunning picture. Pixel plus works wonders? But from the older threads on these very forums people seem to have quite a few problems with it. It’s still an option though.

The Panasonic TX28PS1. A review I have seen rates it highly in picture performance and at 400 quid online it seems very cheap for a big name and good brand. But… again on these forums some people have had significant problems with their sets. Probably still an option for its 50 Hz chassis in case 100 Hz messes up games.

Next is Toshiba. I stumbled across a set while looking for other things. The 28ZD26, £500 with progressive scan!? £800 for the 32ZD26. Not too shabby specification wise. If I did go for a strata set it would be the ZD range, I don’t need Dolby digital built in and the model under the ZD just looks ugly.
    I’m leaning towards this more than the previously mentioned sets. But wandering through the forums again this set seems to have its problems too.
    There are just a few questions and draw backs that are holding me back from buying one until I get them cleared by people that actually own the set. Any response would be great!
    - I’ve read, on these very forums, that there are a few problems with the ZD26. Now are they as faulty as people make out or is it just a few people with bad experiences?? Are there any happy owners?
    - This Buzz? How loud is it?
    - And what about the screen bending with white flashes? Is it curable? I’ve read that some people have solved the problem through the service menu.
    - Also the 28" model seems to have been discontinued. Any one know why? Can you still get them?? Can you still replace them if it’s faulty???
    - And that begs the question, is there a newer model coming out soon??
    - is the PAL pseudo Progressive scan good? Does it help games and R2 DVDs?
    - And I know it’s a silly question but is there a difference between the 28ZD26 and the 28ZD26p

Last but not least: Sony
    I originally started with Sony but veered away due to cost. But now I may be able to get discount which... is err, fairly good. It’s not definite though.
    With this in mind I’ve been looking at these models:
    KV32FX68/KV28FX68
    KD32DX150
    I looked at some reviews of the FQ70 and they seem to be the same as the FX, just more expensive and have smearing problems!!? So I’m not too interested in those.
    And from again looking through these forums, it seems that Sony’s don’t have as many complaints about them. Well don’t have many serious complaints anyway.
    They all seem to have very good pictures, just not the best in the class, but they don’t seem to have as many drawbacks either. As I’m no expert, yet anyway ;), am I really going to be able to spot some minor picture softening or slight fizzing in certain places??
    So the KV**FX68
    Seems very good. Reviews say it has a great picture, 2 RGBs are very useful and it really benefits from not having any of the digital processing that other TVs throw at you and come off worse. Either the 28 or 32FX68 are probably top of my list at this point then. Unless the 100 Hz is bad for games… anyone play games on one of these?
    And then there is the KD32DX150.
    The benefits I see in this set is the integrated digital. My analogue signal is a bit naff so that could be useful when watching standard TV like BBC one etc.
    Then there is the DRC-MF. Being able to switch the TV to a 50 Hz mode could be useful if games don’t like 100 Hz. But only one RGB scart is annoying. What’s the point of getting high quality scart cables if they have to go through a switch box to get them into the TV?! :rolleyes:
    What the hell is DRC any way? Does it just up the resolution so improve the picture quality slightly?

aghh! Talk about headache. . . . I may just buy all of them and line them up to see which is best! :laugh:

On a side note: how many TVs do you lot get though!!! :laugh: you see a problem and the TV goes back and you get another! Respect!!

Long post I know. But any feedback would be stunning. The members of these forums seem to have a massive collective knowledge. So your views are very welcomed.
    Thanks
    EN

2. KTF

KTF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are really quick then www.digitaldirectuk.com have the Tosh for 700 + 35 shipping. Click on the advent calendar option to get the extra discount.

It is valid for the 15th only.

Also, if you spend long enough on here then you will be convinced that every TV ever made has some sort of fault.

You have to jump on the bandwagon sometime. I was going to get the 32PS1 for 570 till someone showed me the Toshiba offer so I jumped on that instead.

3. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for the reply!
    i supose its true that probably all TVs have some sort of fault, well they do if you look hard enough...

thanks for the link too! thats really, and i mean really tempting.... but i have to look at the sonys first. if i say 40% discount you realise why ;)

4. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    DRC is a resolution enhancement , DRC50 offers upto 4 times the resolution and DRC100 offers twice the RES

I don't get any problems using DRC .on my FQ80

5. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    you dont happen to play games do you, mansell??

because if the DRC 50 multiplies the Res by 4, games should look stunning! unless they look blurry because the motion is to fast??

i think at the moment the rough prices for each set is:
    KD32DX150 = £720
    KV32FX68 = £540
    32ZD26 = £800
    so judging by these prices, which set seems best for my needs?

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'd go for the IDTV - digital tuner, 2 RGB Scarts.

BBC in widescreen is so much better than analogue

7. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ok i may drop the FX68.... its 120cm high!!!! thats a little to much for my room as its going under a sloping roof/wall.
    the other 2 are a little over 100cm.

so the DX150 or the 32ZD26....

the dx has only one RGB scart which is its biggest let down for me.
    oh the tosh also has inbuilt progscan. and from what most people say; removes scan lines, gives a steady picture, runs at 50hz so you dont get any 100hz problems and is just very good.

i still have a head ache.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    According to Sony's website (i know, not the best source) the DX150 has 3 SCARTS, with 1 & 2 being RGB... Have you heard something definite that says otherwise?

9. proto

proto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KV32FX68 itself isn't that high, the correct height is 56.7cm. The 120cm is probably with the optional stand, which you can replace with something smaller.

10. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I do play games but only on my PC

however my Nephew did connect his playstation 2 just a short while ago and everything looked fine to me .

I used to own a Panny TX32PB50 ,infact I had four sets until I got a refund , I couldn't live with the dirty screen effect, poor terrestrial broadcast and dodgy geometry

my Sony however suffers from none of these problems , I admit I had to pay a bit more , but it was worth it in the end !

You may not find this model anymore however

PS , I have four scarts (two RGB)

11. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    yeah the 32fx68 is 120cm high with its stand. true, i could use something else...

from what i can figure out, the DX150 has 3 scarts only one being RGB. ive seen the sony site but i think its just a slight mistake.
    the reviews say it has one, the sony catalogue tech guide also says it has one. something to do with the inbuilt digital?

as well as the connections issue the other issue is the quality side. i know that a few people have had issues with the 32ZD26 but most people seems to experience very few problems with their sonys.

oh the fun of choosing a new TV... :rolleyes:
    sometimes i wish i was one of those people that go out and buy a TV because its a nice colour... and the sales man says its good ;) :laugh:

12. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Don't know how similar the DX150 is, but my DX100 has 2 RGB scarts, which was why I chose it over the FQ75.

Might be worth double checking the set in-store somewhere.

13. cooky

cooky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a dx150 and very happy with it. PQ is excellent.

In the specifications that came with the tele it states that av1 & 2 are both RGB.

Sky+ in av1
    Dvd in av2.

I use a sony 330 dvd player and the picture is excellent

14. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    hmmm... well if it has two RGB scarts the competitions has just hotted up again.
    i think i may go to a sony centre and ask for a proper demonstation of the TV with a dvd player and if possible a console.

:laugh: i havent even seen the 32ZD26 yet.... so just wondering but does anyone happen to know if any stores have this item on display around the Birmingham area???

and now im pushing my luck ;), but can anyone give me the heights of the back of the DX150 and 32ZD26????? this would be a great help!

15. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well according to the local Sony store the DX150 has 2 RGB SCART's. I think I might have dashed the poor salesguys hopes though when he thought he might be making a £1200 sale... Damned if I'm going to pay £300 more than 'net prices

16. Elgreco

Elgreco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes 2 RGB scarts

17. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    haha, ive done that about three times now. one guy even got to talk about delievery and seting it up... :laugh:

ok. i originally was looking for a tv that had great picture. the sony, according to the reviews doesnt match the tosh... so i think im just gonna go for the tosh. unless someone stops me :laugh:
    i was gonna buy it a while ago untill i saw some of the problems that people were having.... but i supose people come here when they have problems with there sets, there are probably loads of people with perfect sets that dont feel the need to come and prech the name of toshiba ;)

so anyone know any good online retailers that sell the 32ZD26??

18. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after mooching arround for about a week I though I had better post, especially if you have chosen the Tosh.

I got a Tosh delivered last Tuesday the 28ZD26. I found the picture to be really bad, the geometry was all right, the colour was amazing but the blooming when there was somthing bright white was terrible. This was not what put me off though, when a bright scene was on the tv there would be dirty marks down the screen (somthing to do with the shadow mask) this will be worse on a bigger set. This still wasnt the clincher, the right and left of the screen had patterning like the colour was wrong in bands of 3 to 4 pixels.

But it wasnt till I had unboxed and set it up that I noticed somthing else:- I noticed that the two sticky pads that held the blue plastic to the left hand side of the screen had given out and the blue plastic was sticking out about an inch.

Also the set buzzed really loudly, and the buzz changed tone depending on the mode of the set, being loudest at 100Hz.

I must admit the patterning and the dark lines could be faults but the plastic coming away from the screen and the buzzing noise and the blooming whites just made the set feel cheap and nasty.

I think the blooming whites and buzzing noise is a sign of a cheap PSU?

I have since picked up a Panasonic TX28PS12 which I can thankfully say has a fantastic picture, doesnt make a noise and feels really solid. Ohh yeah also the sound is much better on the Panny. And the 100Hz mode is really smooth and has a nice solid feel to watch, and all you have to do is set the set's brightness,contrast,colour and sharpness to the middle, turn on the AI (which changes the brightness and contrast intelegently) and turn the dnr on and set it to 100Hz mode, and it has a really good picture on DVD / SKY and DIVX films, you can just sit back and enjoy the pic without changing loads of settings.

Honestly the Tosh picture didnt touch it.

Regards

Robert

Disclaimer:- I might of had a really bad Tosh but in my personal opinion I dont think so.

PPS. The Panny has 2 RGB inputs, (4 inputs in total) , The tosh allthough having a progressive input only has 1 RGB.

19. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :laugh: see this is why i went off the Tosh....

it seems the buzz and the white blooming are more aparent on the 28" model though.

hmmm.... im confused again now :D

20. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah, I went through 3 28ZD26P's before deciding enough was enough and got my money back. While I can's say Inoticed the white blooming, the buzz was damned annoying and was noticeable even at moderate volumes (and even in the far quieter Progressive mode) - once noticed I couldn't ignore it...

21. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to say that I bought a Tosh 32ZD26 for £850 about 14 months ago, from John Lewis, using price match on Roberstons. I did the settings and calibration described here somewhere, and carried out the checks - and have been a happy bunny ever since. Its an excellent TV, especially able to do the (NTSC) prog scan from my Tosh dvdplayer using component lead.

22. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, I didnt mean to bash the Tosh as much as I did, I can see that without the faults my set exhibited then the picture could be really good and if you have the sound up and your far enough away you wont notice the buzzing.

23. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to add that the only buzzing I hear is when I put my ear to the back of the set - and i dont do that with normal viewing :D

24. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for all the replies!

from the info i have gathered the 28" seems more problemataic than the 32. cheaper parts maybe?

the other concern i had with the 32ZD26 was the fact that its getting on a bit. but i think im being stupid now...

oh and the fact that it fully supports NTSC prog scan but only psuedo pal prog scan (in built)
    BUT.... as far as i have figured out PAL progscan still isnt offical. when games have a prog scan mode its basically the NTSC version. and only american DVDs support prog scan too? so thats all jiffy then. yes?

i think ive gone back to the 32ZD26 now.

i may aquire in john lewis tomorrow, see what they can do about price matching and getting me a TV.

25. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    search this forum for price 'matching'. Essentially, JL was only prepared to match with local High Street pricing, in stock. Roberstsons have bth Online pricing and a local frontage. I paid £25 extra to have JL install it.

Good luck

26. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    wounded. the guy i spoke to said they price match but the only problem is that they dont stock the 32ZD26 anymore.

RGB direct sell it for £770 and they say they are getting stock in two weeks. so thats an option. its also probably the cheapest i have seen.
    has anyone had experience with www.rgbdirect.co.uk?
    is an extended guarantee worth the extra money? or if the TV works fine for a year it should last a load more?

decisions decisions.....

27. KTF

KTF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth, both myself and a mate bought a 32ZD26 from DigitalDirect and had then delivered this week.

Neither of us have experienced any of the faults that people have listed here about them.

It is a very good set and the picture is superb.

28. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    nice one, thanks for that info. ive looked at digital direct. seems quite good.
    i may just go for it and hope for the best... well if you say that you have had two from there and neither have problems i suppose you could say its a good batch :D

i may buy that as a treat this xmas. what an excuse! :laugh:

thanks for all the replies and info. hope you all have a happy Christmas and great new year.

29. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    stupid question:

can anyone give me the height of the back of the 32ZD26??

when i get around to ordering one it will be going under a sloped wall.... so knowing the height of the back of the set (without the stand if possible) would be a massive help.

thanks, hope you had a great christmas.
    NAI

30. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    32ZD26 on its way from Digital Direct :D