Sony V-Series - NO dead pixel guarantee?

Does your Sony V-series screen have any dead pixels at all?

• No, there's no dead pixels at all

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Yes, there's one or more

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters
I was in the Sony Centre Glasgow today and one of the guys told me when I asked, "you don't get dead pixels on these ones". I asked what he meant, if Sony only used flawless/A-grade panels in these, and he said yes.

Is this true? All of the people I know that own V-series Sony sets don't have dead pixels. Is it actually true that Sony will flat out refuse to use a defective panel in one of these sets?

If so, I'm very impressed (but why hasn't this been publicised). Anyway, to make sure, I've attached a poll to this thread. I'll be curious to see the results.

Sporran

Hi Lyris

I got the v32 and have 1 red pixel dead centre. you must be thinking :eek: but to be frank from the chair or sofa on full white or full black screen you cant see it. I dont even see it sitting on bean bag in front when playing games (less than 1m away from screen), i have to look for it and takes a while to see it.

But i remember speaking to BE Direct and asked them about their DP policy, he said that only affects plasma lol. I didnt buy it from them.

But the V32 is a superb set, does look the biz on the 360 :)

For me its not a real issue, honest guv :)

You do really have to look for it if u want to see it

Argee1977

I have the W40 and no dead pixels, is it the sony centre in west nile street (next to the china buffet king)???

If you want a brilliant sony shop then i'd have to say nip over to Falkirk, the sony centre there is excellent, they got me to go from 'um maybe' to 'i'll buy it' within 2 hours, they were giving me so much info i felt like one of those salesmen that i'd annoyed so often with questions at comet/currys/etc.

:D

I have the W40 and no dead pixels, is it the sony centre in west nile street (next to the china buffet king)???
That's the one :D
If I'm not in the Sony centre perving at all the TVs, I'm in the China Buffet King with my best friend stuffing myself :D

Argee1977

Lyris said:
That's the one :D
If I'm not in the Sony centre perving at all the TVs, I'm in the China Buffet King with my best friend stuffing myself :D

So is half of glasgow, best buffet place in town, to think folk go to pizza hut and eat lukewarm pizza instead of heading their for the same price

:D

As for that sony centre, everytime i go in the staff seem to be either ignoring me or trying to push me into buying something, thats why i headed further out to get a TV.

ripkord

I'd love an official response from sony on this, will stop my worrying about a dead pixel or two when my v40 decides to turn up!

S

steventucker

My V40 has lots of dead pixels! There's a black spot about 3 inches from the top of the screen and a white formation (forming a white v shape) about 3 inches from the bottom of the screen, both are fairly central.

When I first reported this to the sony centre I got the distinct impression I was being fobbed off - "oh right, I'll log it for you mate". I thought well is that it? What about ordering a replacement? How long will it take? Can we take a look at it? etc Anyway I went back to the sony centre today after waiting two weeks with not hearing from them. I asked what the progress was and got "we're waiting for them coming in". I then requested a refund and what do you know? A replacement is found out of the blue! It's coming later today. If that has any faults I'm getting a refund.

S

steventucker

Well bad news I'm afraid. I just got my replacement and it has 3 dead pixels so it's a refund for me. I think sony maybe knows these sets are in high demand and neglecting their quality control a little to meet demand.

The reason televisions have higher tolerances for dead pixels is because they should not be visible from proper viewing distances with actual content.
I still don't accept that myself - I'll decide what's the proper viewing distance for me, I don't accept manufacturers saying "sit further back" or "cross your eyes so you don't see the flaws".

S

steventucker

Yep can see dead pixels (i think one is probably 3 together as it's an irregular shape) at just under 3m on some very dark or very light pictures. So can my partner too! No matter what manufacturers try to tell you what I have is a clear visible defect at normal viewing distance. Granted not noticible on most normal pictures, I'll concede that.

I paid a premium for this telly and as such expected a premium product and service with no faults.

marty123

I spend almost every weekend living in the Sony shop in Glasgow, and i have never been lied too! I speak to all the managers and live in there for hours on end and the staff couldn't be any more knowledgable. I know for a fact that the manager comes on here and i hope he sees it. I don't think he would be too happy if he knew his staff were telling porkers. Do you think the guy said it to be misleading?

Well, I asked them if they'd price match the John Lewis price, so the guy could have been pushing to get the sale.

S

steventucker

Well here's the official line from Sony with regard to dead pixels. This applies to just about all lcds and manufacturers as a general standard. This desc only applies to Class II of lcds. Class I have no faults whatsoever only manufactures have not adopted this standard (no surprise there).

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowArti...237&productcategory=/Computing&site=odw_en_GB

The article clearly states in Sony's own words that dead pixels are a fault that arise from the manufacturing process. Given customers statutory rights under the sale of goods act you can easily argue that any goods sold with dead pixels are faulty goods.

More info on this here:

http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Your+Rights+When+Shopping/your+rights+buying+goods.htm

I've had to read up on this for when I come to argue the case with my local sony centre as they seem reluctant to offer me a refund.

Hope this helps anyone that’s in the same boat as me.

Thanks for that Steven. But you might want to see if you can get to a John Lewis store. They accept returns/exchanges for ANY reason at all (even if you just change your mind!). They didn't get rated the best customer service in Britain for nothing.

Here's what they told me about it.

Dear Mr Mackenzie,

I am writing to you regarding your recent query about the in regards to warranty processes for the Sony KDL V26 A12U TV asking whether you could return the item if the screen was defective with a few dead pixels.

Please be advised that we have a 28 day return policy for unwanted goods in which you can return anything bought from our website for any reason, including unwanted. If you noticed a fault within this period we would usually replace the item rather than attempt a repair. All televisions are covered by a 5 year guarantee on our website so out side of the 28 days we are obligated to attempt a repair before we can replace the item.

If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or please telephone us on 08456 049 049 anytime between 7am and Midnight, 7 days a week and a Customer Service Representative will be happy to assist you.

Yours Sincerely
Returns Department
John Lewis Direct

Not only that, but they (quite rightly!) imply that dead pixels are a fault. Nice to see this attitude from a retailer, JL seem to me like the best place to go shopping for LCDs (the salesmen tend to know their stuff most of the time too) :smashin:

S

steventucker

I had two of the V40s for a few weeks and can say I was utterly unimpressed. The picture quality was awful. The colours were wrong, blacks very grey lacking detail, whites over bright, motion blurring and jagged when watching football. Simply terrible and to top it off you have a huge chance of getting a set with lots of dead pixels - both my sets had them. I couldn't wait to get rid and have a refund.The only thing going for it was that I liked the styling. That's it! I also had a huge battle with the Sony Centre in Newcastle for getting a refund due to dead pixels. I will never shop there again or buy another Sony product. All lcds should state to customers that dead pixels are possible and not considered a defect before people make a purchase. Consumers are getting ripped off paying premium money for less than second class quality goods. It's a disgrace. I didn't take it and I hope you wont.

I just got my Panasonic TH37PV500 and what can I say? Thank goodness, the television is perfect in every way and is in a different class compared to the Sony. Pictures on all formats are fantasic, even freeview looks great. As you can probably guess I'm a very critical person but I cannot fault a single thing with this television. I'm absolutely delighted and saved myself hundreds of pounds in the process. Bargain. Got mine from Powerhouse for £1499. The best flat screen currently on the market for quality and value. Dont even bother holding out for the new one that comes out in a few weeks - this set is perfect even if it is discontinued. The new one might not be as good. I hear that the price may even be less - maybe they are compromising on quality?

Glad you got a display you're happy with in the end Steven.

, blacks very grey lacking detail, whites over bright,
Too late now, but this might interest you: http://lyris-lite.net/bravia_tips_backlight.html

A backlight that's too high will suck up power, shorten the life of the display, prevent inky, convincing blacks, make whites unpleasant to look at, and help emphasise compression artefacts. It is astonishing that Sony are one of the only manufacturers I can recall that let you manually adjust it!

Sporran

i will say i also followed that tip from yoru site lyris. Tbh was very happy before but now even happier, seems to resemble the "movie" mode on the crt wega i had before it :clap:

G

gtikid

I bought the 50" 3 lcd BRAVIA from the glasgow store and i found that the staff were pleasant and non (buy now) attitude that you get in other shops.The staff also advised me of the difference between DLP and LCD (ie, Rainbow effect)As to dead pixels on (A panels) which are PC monitors when i asked i was told the true facts.Which i have researched to great extent and found that the (info) was accurate.Will deffo go back there for my next big buy!!!:lesson: :hiya:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom