Sony V Pioneer > Help required please

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Larkfield, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Larkfield

Larkfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Am looking at buying a new screen, the old age debate of LCD v Plasma rears its head again...bottom line two screens for consideration are

LCD : Sony 40" LCD Bravia KDL-V40A12U

or

Plasma : Pioneer 43" Plasma PDP-436FDE

Anyone have any experience with these screens? side by side comprason?
    picture quality? Not fussed about Sound as will by pass this to the amp.

Just really image qualitry on....

1. Freeview/Sky
    2. DVD

any advice greatly appriciated.

thanks

L

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Plasmas have a nice phosphorous look which looks a lot more like a CRT. This also helps to hide a lot of the ugliness of today's compressed Digital TV broadcasts. For Freeview and Sky, I think the plasma will look quite a lot better.

3. llanellijack

llanellijack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Agreed, I wouldnt really contemplate buying an LCD above 32" at the moment, atleast not until HDTV arrives. SKY looks awful on some LCD's I've seen.

4. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Just going through a very similar comparison actually. I was quite set on getting the Pioneer, but my 2 year old is constantly watching programs which display a logo, so I thought about LCD to avoid screen burn. Also I was keen to have something that would display proper HD resolutions so I could rig up to a laptop occassionally to do some work.

As I haven't got enough space to rig up a 50", lcd seemed the best alternative. The 40" Bravia looked like a good solution. I viewed one in in John Lewis, Reading yesterday and was quite pleased with the picture, although it was only running through a pretty crumby DVD player and cable combo. I shall be taking a trip back in midweek to rig up my 2900 and precious metals component lead. I'll see if I can get this combo rigged up to the Pioneer as well. If the Bravia gives favourable results then I shall probably bite the bullet and get it. Compared to a 50" pioneer it would leave me enough for an iScan HD or HD+ a little later in 2006.

I'd be interested in anybody elses opinion who may have done back to back tests.

5. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Larkfield, did a review as promised but forgot to link to it from this thread. Here it is if you're interested.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275211

My V40 arrives this evening, so will post again under my thread to let you know how it fairs at home. :D

Hope this helps

Tony