1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony v Philips

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AAG, May 29, 2002.

1. AAG

AAG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After scouring mags and trekking round the shops I'm finding it really hard to choose between the following three tvs: Sony 32FQ75, Sony 32PDX100 and Philips 32PW9617. I just want a set with a stonking picture so I can watch my DVDs on it. I don't mind having to add a sound system at a later stage.

Anyone got an opinion on which set is best?

Ta

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    KV32DX100 seems to be liked

3. rogue

rogue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the DX100, I just got one and its a great telly, no picture flaws of any kind that i can see, it was a toss up between this and the pixel plus phillips. But on close inspection the phillips seemed to suffer from 100hz nasties occasionally. Which the Sony is devoid of, the 100hz is really clean on this set, definately the best ive seen.

Whatever you buy i'd reccommend you get it from John Lewis on a price match.

4. AAG

AAG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, really helpful

5. sparkle999

sparkle999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Although not in your list, another one you might consider is the Loewe Aconda.

6. jlett

jlett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly avoid Sony FQ75 models. Heaps of problems which Sony don't seem too keen on sorting.

Also buy from a store that is NOT tied to a particular manufacturer (ie I'd avoid Sony Centre), as you're far more likely to get an honest answer from the salesperson about which set to go for...

7. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my vote goes to the DX100. stonkingly good picture. better than the tosh picture frame and panny PB50 IMHO.

8. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony DX100 is an IDTV.

9. bigfatlad

bigfatlad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes it is, but im only referring to the picture quality thru RGB scart from a sky digibox. i havent used the internal digital tuner yet, as digital reception on our area is very very poor.

10. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would avoid an IDTV if I didn't need to receive terrestrial digital since it adds about £200 to the price of the TV and, with the extra complexity, it might make the TV more unreliable. I had a philips IDTV which used to crash regularly and b*gg*r up the whole set (even the analogue tuner).

From my (limited) experience the Sony TVs have a softer picture than the P+ - it depends which you like best.

(This is my personal opinion).