• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sony v Panasonic Help please??

PRH

Standard Member
:lease: :lease:

This is all new to me sorry so apologies if these questions have been asked before.

I am looking for a 32" LCD TV and am torn between the Sony KDL-V32A12U and the Panasonic TX32LXD500.

I have seen both and both look good.

I have a Marantz 4300 AV, Panasonic DVD recorder, Sky and VCR.

Any views on which TV is better?

Is there an issue with either of these with "buzzing" I have seen reference to this on several threads and any such noise would be unacceptable.

Also what is the reference to audio lag? Would this be an issue for me with my set up? I have a 7 year old Panasonic 32" CRT widescreen with no problems.

What is HDMI? Have I got this right??

Any comments, advice or suggestions would be very helpful.

M

Madshark

Hi, you can check out my thread at http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251940 for panny info.

I have not noticed any 'buzzing' from my TX32LXD500.

HDMI is correct - it stands for High Definition Multimedia Interface and is a connection on the back of your device to connect Hi-Def sources to. Hi-Def sources will give you a picture quality of up to 4 times better than standard. It achieves this by increasing the resolution / number of lines displayed (either 720p or 1080i). The standard at the moment is about 480 lines I think.

PRH

Standard Member
Thanks Madshark.

I assume by HD source you mean something like the new SKY HD box or a HD DVD player?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
If you like the look of both, then try to get a slightly more extended viewing - maybe somewhere that you can take a DVD along, have a twiddle with the remote control?

They are both very good sets, so whichever you choose will be a good choice. I think some people on here forget that, and argue until the cows come home about a 0.5% better contrast ratio that you'll never notice.

Use this place to find the good sets, and avoid the lemons. Thats about it really

R

richard76

if you do check out the latest issue of 'WHAT Hi-Fi" magazine which did a comparison between Sony KDL-V32A12U and the Panasonic TX32LXD500. You will understand why the Panny wins :)

M

Madshark

PRH said:
Thanks Madshark.

I assume by HD source you mean something like the new SKY HD box or a HD DVD player?

You're welcome - Yes Sky or a HD DVD player or an xbox 360 ;)

When I get time I was going to trawl the web to find some HD movie footage and hook up my PC - anyone got any thoughts / advice on this ??

Hi/zuum

Hi MADSHARK/anyone!, I've got a bit of a dilemma I'd like you to help me with. I currently have a Sony V26, but I'm unhappy with it's display for playing games, namely the motion blur I get from slow/fast turns. I'm coming from the same angle as Ramspeed & his V32, so what I'd like you to answer is when you turn from a still position to a slow pan do you notice the background blurring. Be honest! I've witnessed this on both 480i(interlaced) & 480p(proscan)(less on 480p). I've not tested the Panny so it's your word I'm taking. Thanks ;)

HeweyBoy101

richard76 said:
if you do check out the latest issue of 'WHAT Hi-Fi" magazine which did a comparison between Sony KDL-V32A12U and the Panasonic TX32LXD500. You will understand why the Panny wins :)

Whilst browsing in a newsagents today, I was looking at What Plasma & LCD TV. They too had a review of the above Sony vs Panasonic. Guess what, the Sony comes out on top!

Forget reviews - most are biased and influenced by those who pay the bills. I've purchased on the strength of reviews in the past, and lived to regret it. Use reviews by all means as a guide to what is available, but use your eyes to make the final decision!

xrkt77

If you look in the latest What Video it gives the Sony 5 stars for picture quality :clap: whereas Home Cinema Choice gives the Panasonic 4.5 Stars for picture quality. Both magazines actually test their equipment by hooking up to various pieces of scientific equipment.

Whereas What HiFi allegedly use a spotty 16 year old whose previous work experience was working at Comet on saturdays :rotfl:

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
xrkt77 said:
Both magazines actually test their equipment by hooking up to various pieces of scientific equipment.

Not quite sure the relevance of that in an every day use scenario.

If you hook up an MG ZR to some scientific equipment it will tell you it is faster and more powerful then my Focus, but I know which is the better car! :smashin:

xrkt77

The point i was trying to make was that if you were to allow yourself to be influenced by any magazine, i would certainly not be influenced by What Hifi who's reviews are not exactly thorough. At least What Video & Home Cinema Choices reviews are more detailed.

As peple have stated previously the best judge is yourself, though it can be very difficult in places like Currys/Comet who normally have some ropey 4:3 pop channel hooked up to their screens by a multiple feed & for good measure stretched to 16/9 :eek:

xrkt77

Home Cinema Choice

Panasonic TX-32 LXD 500

Picture 4.5
Sound 3.5
Features 4
Overall 4.5

What Video

Sony KDL-V32A12U

Picture 5
Sound 4
Features 5
Ease Of use 5
Value 4
Overall 5

Before i get attacked by the Panny kids i would stress that IMHO both are excellent screens, I couldn't tell any major difference between either.

mr-monday

Quoting review scores is pointless. If there's one thing I've learnt whilst looking for a new TV, it's that the standard of journalism in home cinema is abominable.

EDIT I should add; that's why this place is so great :) .

Bluestraw

xrkt77 said:
As peple have stated previously the best judge is yourself, though it can be very difficult in places like Currys/Comet who normally have some ropey 4:3 pop channel hooked up to their screens by a multiple feed & for good measure stretched to 16/9 :eek:

You're exactly right there! I was in Comet today to compare these 2 sets, and they were both connected via RF to dodgy pop videos! So I compared one snowy picture with another(!), and one set of mono sound with another. Adding to this, one of the sets had a big '£100 off' banner right across the middle of the screen.

How anyone actually makes up their mind like this is beyond me. Where would we be without this forum! Probably the wife adds her 'that colour frame looks nicer' and the decision is made ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom