Sony unveil the PlayStation 4

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by hodg100, Feb 21, 2013.

1. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,460
    PlayStation Wants to Win

[​IMG]
    Following an impressive light show, at 6pm Eastern Time, Andrew House - Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment - took the stage in a New York held event to discuss the future of the PlayStation brand. Of course, what we already knew, that is the PlayStation 4 - with a little help from its friends – but it was not officially announced before a bit of a tease.

Sony are never an organisation to underplay anything, House spoke in hyperbole such as, ‘the stakes are high’ and, ‘the moment of truth’ but given the central role Sony expects the PS4 to play in the evolution of their entertainments ecosystem, such rhetoric was probably justified. It was clear from the outset that, as expected, the PS4 is going to play heavy on the ideas of sharing and multi-device integration. Sony proclaimed the ‘PlayStation wants to win’ and it clearly intends to do this by fighting its battles on multiple fronts. Whether that’s by firing up the console to simply play a game, badgering your mates over Facebook or by utilising the, planned for, ‘play everything’ on PS Vita will be up to you. The PS4 is created for the modern gamer, not just the living room.

Clearly as a riposte to all the developer unfriendly accusations levelled at the PS3, Sony were keen to stress the lengths to which they’ve gone to when developing the PS4 for ease of games creation. The architecture is built upon the X86 platform but the most exciting hardware news came with the confirmation the PS4 will ship with 8GB of fast, GDR RAM which should future-proof it somewhat. Other than that, there were no real surprises in the hardware announcements and the new controller was exactly as the rumours suggested – a slightly bulkier design with a touchpad and an in-built share facility that integrates instantly with social networking partners, UStream and Facebook. Sony not only intends that you can spectate your friends’ gaming but also wants to allow you to jump in and help, if needed. The PS4 is, by decree, consumercentric and developer-led.

[​IMG]

Before the ultimate confirmation that the PS4 was indeed a reality, Sony teased further that the handheld PS Vita would see a renewed push later in the year; the consoles’ potential is to be unleashed in the living room – clearly with an assistive hand from its big brother.

Following House’s presentation industry stalwart, Marc Cerny, took the stage to further the ideas of interoperability but Cerny is also a programmer and developer and was rather excited to show off his own project, Knack, which if the visuals displayed during the demo can be matched looks like an astonishing 3rd person 3D platformer. We’ve seen many unfulfilled tech demos in the past but Cerny seemed confident that what was shown is fully attainable in the PS4 hardware. Cerny further went on to outline the seamlessness of the PS4 experience. All games will have a demo; all digital downloads are to be (almost) instantly playable with background downloading; a new recommendation engine will download games based on user history and he also showed off the revamped GUI which looked slick and sharp with an emphasis on the share mentality.

Next up, Gaikai’s David Perry took the stage. For those that don’t know, Gaikai was launched as a cloud-based gaming service that allows users to play high-end PC and console video games from the cloud. It would seem that Sony is betting heavily on Gaikai’s prowess by allowing the recently acquired company to take control of the PSN. Perry’s vision is to create the first gaming social network ‘with true meaning’ and new features such as a broadcasting your gaming, real-time, to your friends should further that goal.

The, much rumoured, facility to provide the complete PS3 portfolio as a streamed service was confirmed although we get the impression that much work is needed to make that a reality. Perry went on to reiterate the ‘Everything Everywhere’ message of the PS4 and we’d assume a certain UK 4G telecoms provider has taken due note.

[​IMG]
    From there on in Sony was keen to show off the possibilities for a spot of ‘serious’ console gaming by drawing in a number of its development partners. We saw Guerilla show off Killzone 4, Media Molecule tease the next instalment of the ‘Play, Create, Share’ franchise, Little Big Planet, and Heavy Rain’s creators, Quantic Dream, before the audience all sharing their visions of what the new hardware can bring to the table. Naturally all those demos looked stunning as did Evolution Studio’s driving sim, Drive Club, which looks like it might deliver on the promise of what GT5 wanted to be. In Sony’s own rhetoric, the PS4 isn’t just any old ‘BOX’ – they stopped short of prefixing it with the 24th letter in the English alphabet – but they were obviously keen to get Microsoft’s former favourite studio on stage. Bungie, developers of the Xbox’s most popular platform exclusive, Halo, were brought on to announce that their new, ’Shared World Shooter', Destiny would release on PS4 as well as Xbox 360 and PS3. Bungie perhaps, unwittingly, gave the biggest clue as to the release date of the PS4 by saying it would have a simultaneous release across the platforms. Considering Activision, the publishers, has slated Destiny for Q3/Q4 of 2013 we should be expecting a pre-Christmas release, at least for Japan and the USA.

Specifications

Column 1 Column 2
    0 Main Processor Single-chip custom processor
    1 CPU : x86-64 AMD gJaguarh, 8 cores
    2 GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon. based graphics engine
    3 Memory GDDR5 8GB
    4 Hard Disk Drive Built-in
    5 Optical Drive (read only) BD 6xCAV
    6 DVD 8xCAV
    7 I/O Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) AAUX
    8 Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
    9 IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
    10 BluetoothR 2.1 (EDR)
    11 AV output HDMI
    12 Analog-AV out
    13 Digital Output (optical)

So there we have it; AV fans might be a touch disappointed at no mention of Ultra High Definition movie delivery but we wouldn’t despair, there’s plenty of time and other/better opportunities to announce that. Sony clearly wanted to focus the attention of this particular event on the games and social interaction and we can’t blame them for that. We’re certainly excited for the next generation of PlayStation gaming – are you?

Our PS4 forums are already buzzing with the news.

Attached Files:

2. Spike_UK

Spike_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Apart from the incredible graphics, I didn't see anything that made me want to buy PS4.
    Off to bed now *YAWN*

3. mejinuf

mejinuf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Couldnt agree more

4. late8

late8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    The controller is te same again! Bad form.

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    No surprise on the 4k; if they ever get any 4k capability on the PS4 it will be upscaled games ( I don't think you fellas are aware how extreme the resource requirements are to meaningfully render games at 4k).

You might get heavily compresed 4k streaming playback at some point but I doubt it.

Overall nothing exciting here , I suspect that this time round Sony will be further eclipsed by other players ; namely Microsoft and Valve.

Last time they were 3rd ; this time they are going to be 4th or 5th.

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Looking forward to what this can do, I just don't like Xbox, understand why others do so don't get me wrong.

7. IvorB

IvorB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It all seems pretty good to me. I haven't watched the show yet as I am at work now. Glad they went for the 8gb of RAM. Was going to b*tch about this whole social thing infesting everything but actually there have been many times I've been playing a game and thought, man I wish x had seen that. So I'm quite happy with what I've seen so far. And I will be able to play PS4 games on my Vita which is cool. Wish it would launch sooner as I am quite hyped for it now...

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  8. Mrb1972

Mrb1972

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    Underwhelming

9. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    Vita integration sounds great, but i was hoping they'd take this opportunity to properly overhaul the controller rather than just bolting more bits onto an aged design.

10. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    When 4k is mentioned in this regard they mean for video and not for games.

This is the first console launch Ive watched live. I don't understand how it can be called a console launch when the console wasn't present.

Only 1 spec (RAM) was given, no release date, no price, no nothing. Just some videos of games.

Im not saying this is unusual for a console launch, I don't know. But if this is what they usually do then I definitely won't be watching another. It looks like the PS4 will be launched at E3.

11. jamesrt2004

jamesrt2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Same as ps2 launch :)

12. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    Fair enough.

Ive only watched 2 product launches live and both times I was bitterly disapointed.

The iPhones 4S launch when we all expected there to be an iPhone 5 at the end, and last night wit the PS4 launch when they didn't actually launch the PS4.

13. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,772
    Is the hard drive in the PS4 an SSD or an old HDD?

14. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    Very underwhelming. The problem is they didn't really show anything.
    Far too much emphasis on social integration, gamers that will cough £300-£400 for a new console want to play great games and not just get wet about uploading a video to Facebook.
    Games wise they didn't show anything that PS3 couldn't do IMO.
    Resurrecting the Move seemed desperate, it didn't really work for PS3 so why would it work for PS4
    No news on connections and outputs, nothing on 3D or 4K and too much emphasis on loading times from digital games for my liking..what about loading times for games on discs? They managed to not show or say anything about actual physical game format.
    Why would they show Drive Club and not GT6 (even a tech demo).
    The only thing I did like was the controller..it looks more comfy than the cramp enducing PS3 pad :)

In all it felt like a mid-lifecycle showcase for the next stage of PS3 gaming, certainly not a nextgen launch.

15. careless_adi

careless_adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Uckfield, East Sussex, UK, Earth, Milky Way
    Ratings:
    +262
    At least this gives Microsoft food for thought - how not to do a console announcement.

16. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +900
    will there worlds fastest network go all the way to my front door. No way will you be able to do what they have planned on our broadband infrastructure

17. IvorB

IvorB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    But this was not a console launch as I understand it. Sony never called it that but the media jumped on it and tried to fill in the blanks. This was more an unveiling. Did Sony call it a launch?

It would be pretty crazy to reveal everything so far from release with competitor systems still in pipeline.

18. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    Yeah fair enough. They didn't say it was a PS4 launch, the media did. And as the PS4 wasn't launched I have to agree with you.

19. Welsh Whirlwind

Welsh Whirlwind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    You're right, they didn't actually call it a lauch, instead, they used words like 'taster' and 'teaser'. Personally, I found it fascinating... If this was simply titbits of information, then I'd expect there to be some big announcements still in the pipeline.

I love the idea of 'instant-on' gaming, the video share button and the tech demo from Quantic Dream was jaw-droppingly good :eek:

The amount of developer praise for the platform was also very interesting. Sony have seemingly gone all-out to make things as easy as possible to help programmers to unleash their creative ideas with as little constraint as possible. As the VT's demonstrated, this has gone down very, very well with publishers.

However, I am extremely sceptical about the scope and practicality of some of the announcements unless you're on an extremely fast fiber internet connection :cool:

All in all, I was very impressed and I can't wait to see what happens at E3. :clap:

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Oh really , and you got that from ...?

21. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,127
    Launch or unveiling you can call it what you want but I watched the 'show' and it didn't say or show anything to excite me as a gamer and certainly did nothing to scream 'nextgen'.

The super duper network stuff is all very well but like it or not we still live in a country where broadband doesn't have 100% coverage, where many still have bandwidth caps and where suppliers still throttle.

As for 'so far from release' - they're talking about a November launch in at least US/Jpn, that's only 9 months away :rolleyes:

22. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    I haven't once seen anyone talk about games at 4k.

CES reporters on this site are hoping the PS4 might shed some light on the upcoming 4k format as Sony will probably be the first to bring a physical format.

If anyone is expecting 4k gaming then they must be high.

23. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Right...glad thats all cleared up then.

24. Dan201

Dan201

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    Im not sure if you're trying to pick an argument or not. Any sarcasm in your question?

25. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    I'd love to know how you can start playing a game as soon as you start downloading it. Let's say it's a game where you can start from multiple points such as a driving game. If you select a certain course you want to drive first does the data download then change and only download what you are currently playing? I don't see how they can implement this properly.

I actually quite like the controller. It's a case of 'if it's not broke don't fix it' with the controller. The only thing I would change on the controller is the texture of the analog buttons as they feel a little too rubbery on the PS3. other than that, I see no reason to overhaul a controller that clearly works for most.

26. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    Let's hope they don't wait until March for EU release like they did last time. I felt they really dropped the ball with the launch of the PS3.

27. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    Not sure I understand your point.

28. IvorB

IvorB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I haven't managed to watch the show as yet. I couldn't find it on YouTube last night or anywhere (anyone know where I can find it?). But I'm pretty excited just from reading about it and most gamers online seem pretty excited.

I don't think that network stuff they talked about is very bandwidth intensive so your data cap/bandwidth throttling shouldn't be an issue. It's not like there are huge file downloads involved.

It's a whole year away, dude. And, most importantly it's well before all the big shows (E3, Gamecon, TGS etc). They need to keep ammo in the chamber for those as well.

I'm actually really amped for this thing. I think I will actually pre-order it because I think it will sell out at launch.

29. IvorB

IvorB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm with you on the controller.

30. Patbateman69

Patbateman69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I would imagine the system can play 4K movies but games no. Unless of course they would be very simple games designed to show off full resolution, something like super stardust 4K or something. Most devs will always go for lower resolution and frame rate to get more cool things happening onscreen

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013