1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony UK desperate to stop importing of PSPs

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Stuart Wright, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,558
    This news story from the Guardian in June put the cat amongst the pidgeons with the part about Sony impounding peoples' imported PSPs.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1512591,00.html
    Although we then heard that they would not be coming after Joe public, we are now hearing reports that they are going after retailers in a big way:
    http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3666
    Comments on the situation at Dan Morelle's blog:
    http://www.danmorelle.com/blog/2005/08/sony-sues-lik-sang.html
    Nuplayer also stopped :
    http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2005/07/21/sony_vs_nuplayer/
    with an apology for their site being down on their home page:
    http://nuplayer.co.uk/
    But they are going to 'stick it' to Sony by selling units legally imported from Europe at less than RRP.

Sony's actions are pathetic. Can anyone explain to me please why selling a PSP to anyone anywhere is illegal? Why does it break trade mark law?

And where will it end? Will they try to stop the import of games, UMD movies and DVDs?

2. BuFF DaDDy

BuFF DaDDy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I agree its pathetic, how are Sony going to lose out if importers are selling the PSP?

I mean are they going to stop everyone from US/Jap going through customs and check all there bags for imported PSP's, Sony get a grip!, There selling YOUR machines not Microsofts/Nintendos, YOURS, Sony should think themselves lucky that they are selling so well and this is mainly due to the importers offering good prices, they must buy them at the same price so how does Sony lose out on it?

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,188
    www.cex.co.uk have now also stopped stocking and buying in PSP products, I emailed them last week about selling some of my games as they had given me good prices in the past and they said they couldnt take anything due to the embargo from Sony.

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    indeed pathetic. how are they losing out if i bought one for £200 from asia for arguements sake 6 months ago or getting a uk one for £200 in september. they are still bloody getting my money so whats the problem ???

i dont care now, had mine a while and absolutly loving it. didnt think handheld consoles would ever be as good as the original gameboy untill PSP came along :)

5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,558
    I do understand WHY they are doing this.
    You or I could set up a company distributing a brand's products in the UK. SVS, for example, might organise a UK distributor.
    The distributor buys stock from the manufactor overseas and has to make a profit selling it in their home country.
    So Sony are protecting their distributor by 'discouraging' imports.
    However this whole mess is nobody's fault but Sony's :

1) If Sony released the PSP at roughly the same time worldwide, they wouldn't cause demand in different countries.
    2) If Sony released the PSP for roughly the same price worldwide, they woudn't create demand in different countries.
    3) If movies are region coded, the cost, release date, content and quality of those movies may influence which region people will prefer to buy their movies from, and this will affect which region PSP they will want to buy.

Sony should accept that the internet has created a worldwide market and deal with this appropriately. Instead they use deplorable bully-boy tactics to curtain the importing by small companies. I'm disgusted by it.

6. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Sony likes the idea of being able to charge us a premium for their products. By importing sony are getting a profit but not as much as if we bought one here. By keeping markets seperate (as in region coding for movies) it enables them to set their own prices.

The internet bypasses national boundaries and so we nearly have a true global market place. Big companies will try to stop this, but it'll be tough really as certain countries dont recognise parallel importing or grey market products. For example Lik Sang are being sued by sony but Hong Kong is apparently one of these countries. So they may stand a better chance of beating sony than the other internet companies from UK.

The problem with global markets is if it is cheaper to buy abroad unrestricted, smaller companies will go bust as they cant compete with cheap overseas labour. But this is nowt to do with sony, theyre just greedy. So i say stick it to em.

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    What? Sony release the PSP 9 months after Japan and expect everyone to have the good patience to wait? Of course people will import.

You know, given the life cycle of consoles is now 4 years, there will be a PSP 2 in three years time. 4 years after the Jap launch is Ok. 3 years after the Euro launch?

Anyway, UK PSPs will be about £50 more expensive than US PSPs. The chancellor can't be taking THAT much in tax. Sony are taking the ___. Oh, yeah, I remember reading some US online stores are now selling the value pack for $50 cheaper. So we are getting ripped in everyway.

Sony have nobody to blame but themselves. Their excuse for a Sept launch was Jap/US demand. Errrr not really. The US launch wasn't a total sell out. In Jap, the PSP only beat the DS in hardware sales for the 1st time last month.

But maybe the real reason was firmware ver 2? That totally destroys homebrew, as it adds the PS2 write protection, whatever its called. Sony knew it wouldn't be ready till now (firmware ver 2 available Aug 12th in US).

8. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Sony aren't happy because its cheaper to import a PSP than buy the UK PSP, if they didn't want this happening why didn't they region lock the console, oh thats right, if they kick up a big fuss they got lots of free advertising just like they did with their previous 2 consoles.

cnutz is the word that springs to mind

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Or the old 'limited stock' ruse.....

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah that old chesnut works a beaute, not as good as the supercomputer uses to fire military weapons though :)

11. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    like a lot of people I was so very nearly tempted to buy my PSP online as an import because I was getting fed up waiting the nine months for the UK release date that just seemed to keep slipping.

I have bought Sony since the Playstation first came out (infact mine was one of the first batch that didn't work and had to be sent back) but the PSP release in the UK has really rubbed me up the wrong way, if it hadn't been for the guy who runs my local video/games store being a top man who managed to convince me to wait for the PSP UK release I would have bought an import.

Sony have annoyed a lot of buyers in the Uk which doesn't bode well for the PS3!

Regards

FR

12. GeorgeShadow

GeorgeShadow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they are just outdated and envy the ones who are successful on selling the PSP's. They can't really do anything so that do something rediculous~ no one is on their side~ if UK wants to isolate itself out of the world, no one should care :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

13. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    :confused: so your actually happy he has convinced you to pay more,wait longer and possibly miss out on all the emu stuff :rotfl: i payed £300 for mine from a local importer (with all the talk of dodgy screens etc i didnt fancy sending back to japan) ages ago and i didnt mind paying the price at all but you can literally pick them up with games for below £130 now and this has been pretty much done for the last few months.besides that im still running version 1 software and if sony think there getting me to upgrade to include crappy stuff at the cost of me loosing my emulators etc they can **** right off.i have no regrets about paying the price i did for my psp as early adopters/importers already get stung and after seeing the DS i just knew that wasnt for me and besides that it looks amazing switched off never mind running wipeout :)

SONY are greedy plain and simple and people having a pop at M$for being the big bad wolf of the computer world should switch its attention to sony.there total lack of repsect and distain for euaope is terrible,the PSP isnt even the top selling handheld in japan or usa so how come there claiming they cant manafacture enough PSPS`s to have a release the same time as the US ? i wasnt expecting a worlwide release but a year FTER the japs have had it is ridiculous.

the problem with SONY is there to powefull now and are rapidly turning into the "bullyboys" of the technology world imho,i mean take a look at there approach about the complaints on there MP3 players where the buttons are cracking :mad: head in the sand replys and screams of theres nothing wrong with the "product" what a joke.they did the same when the P900 top end business phone was released and it didnt configure to bluetooth headsets properly,there was a 30 page thread over at the mobile forums about how people couldnt get them to stay connected and what was sonys response "theres nothing wrong" and then they slid a upgrade into the firmware up date.do we even have to mention the whole "scrolling bar fiasco" on there top end fx range of TV`s :rolleyes: SONY should spend more time on the "quality control" and less time trying to bulldoze the free trading world into its greedy control.

to be honest sony are already on shakey ground with me after my p900 nightmare,ns900 dvd player and that bloody C13 error fiasco and now its stance on importers.if i want to pay £500 for a import psp a year before europe get it i want that option :mad: and they can shove there george foreman grill looking PS3 RIGHT UP THERE BABY :hiya: :D

14. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Forgot about that one! :laugh:

15. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    :mad: Just read today that Sony are trying to stop Lik-Sang from selling PSP to the UK, what are Sony playing at. I might buy another PSP from Lik and upset Sony some more :D

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,188
    Just thought it was worth mentioning that the newer games like Coded Arms and Need for Speed need the newer firmware (v1.5) in order to work so if you want to keep your JPN PSP with its 1.0 firmware you wont be able to play any of the new games which might be abit of a problem.

17. Forestred

Forestred

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes to be honest, I wanted to walk across the road to take it back if something went wrong and I wasn't too happy with the idea of sending £150+ to someone who I've never met and know nothing about apart from a few ratings on Ebay to import a unit. It was my choice to pay a little more for that backup which I was happy to do, what I wasn't expecting was to have to wait months on end for the thing to be released.

No I'm not too fused about emu's on the PSP but I didn't know that the latest firmware prevents them. I want mine to play games and my ripped DVDs.

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    This thread has been stickied? We're all gonna look stupid in two months. :rolleyes:

19. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i thought exactly the same thing actually untill i played super mario world and shinobi :D there where a few retailers who where shipping for a really really good price with full warranty (expansys) before sony put the freeze on it and then it was harder to get them over here and actually be covered warranty wise.you did right though not ordering off fleabay :thumbsup:

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,558
    Why is that? :rolleyes:

21. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    to be honest if it wasnt for hotshots golf i would be playing purely emu stuff mate and the only future releases am i craving to play will be pro evo and GTA apart from that i will be sticking with my version 1 firmware untill those games are released :)

22. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    I suppose in two months Sony won't be bothered about "protecting" the PSP UK (Euro) launch and keeping launch day/week sales figures up

23. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,558
    You're missing the point by a mile, here. This is about a big company preventing the export of their products to a different country. If they can do this, who is going to stop them or anyone else from preventing the importing of hardware or DVDs or music CDs?

24. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    stuart is right and if this does go through succesfully then dvds and music etc could be next and seeing as sony own major film studios and recording artists then it could become a bit of a problem not just only for AV people but consumers in general.i wouldnt be surprised in the least to see sony release a new firmware in the future that locks out the region free gaming.

25. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    Whoa.....I don't agree with what Sony are doing.....my comment was just tongue in cheek LOL

26. SarahPooh

SarahPooh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is disrupting the world order, it is unfriendly, and it is annoying~ any kinds of imports may not be available for the UK consumers no more