SONY UBP-X800 ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

yea i do have another blu ray player, but i guess it just the hassle of switching between the 2 for different discs, although it probably makes more sense than to spend £100 to modify a player i bought for only £230

Another thing to consider is this...if you connect your 4K player to say, for example, HDMI 1 input on your tv, then adjust all the picture settings on HDMI 1 input accordingly to give the best picture for playing back 4K UHD discs... you may find those settings are no good for standard 1080p blurays...but if you have a separate dedicated 1080p bluray player going into say HDMI 2 input on your tv, then you can adjust the picture settings specifically for 1080p playback.

Has anyone got one of these hooked upto a KD55XE8596?

Has anyone got one of these hooked upto a KD55XE8596?

I don't- I have the step up model the XE9005 but there must be lots of people with that combination- at least here in Ireland Sony were running a promotion recently buy the XE8596 and get the UBD-X800 4K spinner for free.

I don't- I have the step up model the XE9005 but there must be lots of people with that combination- at least here in Ireland Sony were running a promotion recently buy the XE8596 and get the UBD-X800 4K spinner for free.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking! I’ve had an email that seems to say if I connect the player to 1 or 4 then because it’s their player it will play in HDR 10bit so I’m wondering if anyone has tried this!
My player is on its way from stock hope it to be here early next week.

Yeah that’s what I was thinking! I’ve had an email that seems to say if I connect the player to 1 or 4 then because it’s their player it will play in HDR 10bit so I’m wondering if anyone has tried this!
My player is on its way from stock hope it to be here early next week.

it's a beautiful player- wait until you feel the quality and the weight of it! Yes on my tv too it must connect to HDMI 2 or HDMI 3 only for HDR best picture quality for some reason. Not sure about your tv.

it's a beautiful player- wait until you feel the quality and the weight of it! Yes on my tv too it must connect to HDMI 2 or HDMI 3 only for HDR best picture quality for some reason. Not sure about your tv.

Yeah I’ve read that it’s a quality bit of kit which I do like, I hate buying something then picking it thinking hang on have they even put anything inside the box lol!

So yours is the same as mine so Sony are lying via email, I even replied to them asking can they confirm this as I was a bit miffed to say the least that despite all ports being HDCP2.2 only 2 of them are HDR and 1 is also the ARC, not so good for me having an older amp.

Thanks chap.

Yeah I’ve read that it’s a quality bit of kit which I do like, I hate buying something then picking it thinking hang on have they even put anything inside the box lol!

So yours is the same as mine so Sony are lying via email, I even replied to them asking can they confirm this as I was a bit miffed to say the least that despite all ports being HDCP2.2 only 2 of them are HDR and 1 is also the ARC, not so good for me having an older amp.

Thanks chap.

I found this online referring to my model tv- not sure about yours but I have heard the Sony customer service often give out the incorrect data...again below is talking about my KD65XE9005BU, not your model....

All HDMI ports should support HDR at 30 Hz but only 2 and 3 can handle HDR at 60Hz with the 'enhanced' (18Ghz) mode setting. This setting will make the ports incompatible with some older equipment.
If your receiver handles 4k, just let it handle all the inputs which will also provide the advantage of accepting multi-channel PCM audio or the advanced blu-ray audio formats that need more bandwidth than SPDIF or ARC will handle coming through the TV.

I guess you could add a HDMI switcher if you need more 60Hz HDMI ports? Not sure and it might have to be a specific type of switcher.

Have you tried the US AVSForums for answers on your specific tv? If you can't get answers here for your tv or incoming UBP-X800 you might find it over there...

Well, I don't know how but I eventually got sound out of my avr. Spent an hour or two on the phone with Sony, got sound via optical with everything hooked up to the tv. They eventually said that the audio only output on the UBP-X800, was to play back media not to connect up non 4k av equipment. Which seems to go against what's written in their manual, on their web site and what others have said/experienced here.

Je Fernand PM me, and suggested doing a couple of test connections, just to see what my avr was receiving.

After connecting up as per my original blue ray set up (but using the UBP), i.e. hdmi from UBP (socket 1) to AVR (input), AVR (output) to tv. Tried playing a dvd, no sound & no picture.

Reconnected hdmi leads as per the Sony manual, UBP 1 to tv, UBP 2 to avr and changed Audio to output hdmi 2 (which I tried numerous times before), inserted dvd got sound & video. Replaced with Blue ray disc & got sound & video.
I then tried a Ultra HD disc, got sound but only fuzzing video (like the HBO opening screen). Turned player on & off, and got sound & video. :clap:

So I have no idea, what was going on there, but thanks to you chaps, especially Joe. Long post, but just in case anyone else experiences the same.

I don't believe, no sound again. :facepalm:

Messed around swapping leads, no joy. Connected player to amp via coaxial lead and players outputting Dolby Digital EX, but doesn't seem to be doing anything via hdmi 2!

I just bought one to go with my Epson TW7300 as of tomorrow. I’m excited to set this up! Hope I made the right choice to keep the budget down. The Sony was a bit of a bargain. 209 euros delivered, real sweet deal if you asked me.

I just bought one to go with my Epson TW7300 as of tomorrow. I’m excited to set this up! Hope I made the right choice to keep the budget down. The Sony was a bit of a bargain. 209 euros delivered, real sweet deal if you asked me.

209 euros from where?

I found this online referring to my model tv- not sure about yours but I have heard the Sony customer service often give out the incorrect data...again below is talking about my KD65XE9005BU, not your model....

All HDMI ports should support HDR at 30 Hz but only 2 and 3 can handle HDR at 60Hz with the 'enhanced' (18Ghz) mode setting. This setting will make the ports incompatible with some older equipment.
If your receiver handles 4k, just let it handle all the inputs which will also provide the advantage of accepting multi-channel PCM audio or the advanced blu-ray audio formats that need more bandwidth than SPDIF or ARC will handle coming through the TV.

I guess you could add a HDMI switcher if you need more 60Hz HDMI ports? Not sure and it might have to be a specific type of switcher.

Have you tried the US AVSForums for answers on your specific tv? If you can't get answers here for your tv or incoming UBP-X800 you might find it over there...
If all ports support HDR upto 30hz, and 2 and 3 upto 60 hz, seeing as movies are encoded at 24p, why can't the X800 go in 1 or 4?
Ive always wondered about this with the weird Sony TV hdmi configuration.
At least this way it leaves the 60hz ports free for a ps4 pro or xbox-one-x?
I have the A1 OLED and its the same.

If all ports support HDR upto 30hz, and 2 and 3 upto 60 hz, seeing as movies are encoded at 24p, why can't the X800 go in 1 or 4?
Ive always wondered about this with the weird Sony TV hdmi configuration.
At least this way it leaves the 60hz ports free for a ps4 pro or xbox-one-x?

I hadn’t thought of it like that, why does Sky Q only work in 2/3 in 10Bit as in the display settings on the 2Tb Q box.

My Xbox One X will only be used now and then as it lives in the cave attached to my Kuro 50”

Maybe I’m getting confused with 10Bit and HDR etc
Cheers

I hadn’t thought of it like that, why does Sky Q only work in 2/3 in 10Bit as in the display settings on the 2Tb Q box.

My Xbox One X will only be used now and then as it lives in the cave attached to my Kuro 50”

Maybe I’m getting confused with 10Bit and HDR etc
Cheers
AFAIK, Sky Q is 8bit, happily corrected. I know there is a 10bit setting, but I THINK it's up scaled. Again, happily corrected.
24p movies shouldn't make a difference which port they're connected to.

Does anybody elses audio cut out during some explosions on the 4k or 2k Dunkirk blu ray? I have tried different hdmi cables and it works fine on my XBOX one S so it must be the player. Here is a video of what happens: Dropbox - sony_ubp-x800_dunkirk_sound_issue.MOV

I've not noticed the issue it on any other discs I've tried so far.

Any help would be much appreciated!

AFAIK, Sky Q is 8bit, happily corrected. I know there is a 10bit setting, but I THINK it's up scaled. Again, happily corrected.
24p movies shouldn't make a difference which port they're connected to.

Argh!!!!
This is typical of companies like Sony, Panasonic etc, why they just can’t enable all ports for a start is beyond me, it’s not like I bought a supermarket special at £100 or even a £25 Blu-ray player.

I’ll check out the Sky Q on 8bit to see if there is any difference as then I can leave the Pioneer amp (even though it doesn’t do Atmos) on port 3 and see how things go.

Cheers

It says in the X800 review that this player "is capable of decoding both 5.1 and 7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio into multichannel PCM so, if you have an older receiver that doesn’t support the lossless audio formats, that’s good news."

My very old receiver can't decode the lossless formats, but I haven't managed to get the X800 to decode dts-HD MA (or Dolby True HD) and send the sound on to my receiver. I guess there are some settings in the X800 that I need to change... any ideas where to look?

Does anybody elses audio cut out during some explosions on the 4k or 2k Dunkirk blu ray? I have tried different hdmi cables and it works fine on my XBOX one S so it must be the player. Here is a video of what happens: Dropbox - sony_ubp-x800_dunkirk_sound_issue.MOV

I've not noticed the issue it on any other discs I've tried so far.

Any help would be much appreciated!

For Future reference if anybody else has the same issue I fixed it by going to setup -> audio settings -> BD Audio MIX settings -> OFF.

It says in the X800 review that this player "is capable of decoding both 5.1 and 7.1 Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio into multichannel PCM so, if you have an older receiver that doesn’t support the lossless audio formats, that’s good news."

My very old receiver can't decode the lossless formats, but I haven't managed to get the X800 to decode dts-HD MA (or Dolby True HD) and send the sound on to my receiver. I guess there are some settings in the X800 that I need to change... any ideas where to look?
Bit of a backward step? Sorry to state the obvious but if you're buying the latest bluray player you really need to be updating your receiver...

209 euros from where?

It was 209 at Hifiklubben’s website Wednesday afternoon. But only for a short period of time. I checked again later that evening and it went back up to 299. It’s being delivered today! Picked up the Epson yesterday. A real beast. I’m excited to try the new setup this evening. Been collection the discs for a while now, mostly from zavvi.

It was 209 at Hifiklubben’s website Wednesday afternoon. But only for a short period of time. I checked again later that evening and it went back up to 299. It’s being delivered today! Picked up the Epson yesterday. A real beast. I’m excited to try the new setup this evening. Been collection the discs for a while now, mostly from zavvi.

Thanks 200 is a good price for this unit. Snagged one myself for 205 euros brand new on a classifieds. Still sucks to think they were selling them for $149.99 in the US over Black Friday tho!

Thanks 200 is a good price for this unit. Snagged one myself for 205 euros brand new on a classifieds. Still sucks to think they were selling them for $149.99 in the US over Black Friday tho!

I found a wharehouse return on amazon for 203, there was another at 193 but that one said it had scratches on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom