SONY UBP-X800 ULTRA HD PLAYER OWNERS THREAD

kingkarl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread starter for this exciting new Sony UHD player expected to be hitting shops today in the UK and for members to discuss the player.

20170407_101230.jpg
Oh HELLO .... Wonder what this might be ?
I was expecting two packages today a new Sony X800 and Hot Toys Yoda from Hong Kong.

Well don't stop there you big tease.

20170407_105250.jpg

Ohhhh.

OK Folks ..... quick update for you lovely people of the AV World.
All set up nicely and just give her a quick run out to stretch her legs after been in the box for a while.
Connected to network and a firmware update installed before operation , using one HDMI out from port 1 into Denon 2300W.
First of all tried the UHD discs that had problems with the Oppo 203 from day one and guess what all work first time with zero issues.
Now I have proper sound and picture matched up as soon as the disc spins up ... Miss Pengrines FOX logo fanfare which was breaking up now is in perfect synch with picture as soon as it appears.
Then tried Deepwater Horizon for the known audio dropout at 2 minutes approx and again PERFECT.
Tried 7 UHD discs and chapter skipped and rewinds and all audio is perfectly in synch with the picture no lip synch issues whatsoever.
I will sit down tonight and finally watch Hacksaw Ridge and see if a full movie plays right through with no issues but all is looking superb.
What the Oppo struggled to do in 3 months of ownership and several firmware updates the Sony has laughed at it with the problems I had previously.
Fingers crossed all is fine after a weekend of UHD movie watching goodness.
UPDATES TO FOLLOW.

Last edited:
Sounds good, i'll be hooking mine up to the x2300 also, once the multi region version becomes available.

Sounds good, i'll be hooking mine up to the x2300 also, once the multi region version becomes available.
Yes I was going to get the multi region blu ray version but managed to get this for a lovely £320 with staff discount deal from a friend.
I have decided to get the Sony 7200 or the Panasonic 460 multi modded with the £180 saved and have two units.
The build quality of the Sony is very nice and not light like the Samsung 8500.

All set up nicely and just give her a quick run out to stretch her legs after been in the box for a while.
Connected to network and a firmware update installed before operation , using one HDMI out from port 1 into Denon 2300W.
First of all tried the UHD discs that had problems with the Oppo from day one and guess what all work first time with zero issues.
Now I have proper sound and picture matched up as soon as the disc spins up ... Miss Pengrines FOX logo fanfare which was breaking up now is in perfect synch with picture as soon as it appears.
Then tried Deepwater Horizon for the known audio dropout at 2 minutes approx and again PERFECT.
Tried 7 UHD discs and chapter skipped and rewinds and all audio is perfectly in synch with the picture no lip synch issues whatsoever.
I will sit down tonight and finally watch Hacksaw Ridge and see if a full movie plays right through with no issues but all is looking superb.
What the Oppo struggled to do in 3 months of ownership and several firmware updates the Sony has laughed at it with the problems I had previously.
UPDATES TO FOLLOW.

Good to hear and as expected!

Makes sure a difference when it just works! Ha

When you do have a chance I'd be curious to hear how the upscaling performs for a regular blu Ray.

Other than the Oppo with its problems I've found UHD performs to be pretty much the same on the UHD players I've had (ub700/900 K8500 and even oppo)

But for me the Panasonic puts the others to shame in the upscaling. (Or at least for my taste)

So hearing your thoughts on upscaling would be greatly appreciated.

A.

Yes I was going to get the multi region blu ray version but managed to get this for a lovely £320 with staff discount deal from a friend.
I have decided to get the Sony 7200 or the Panasonic 460 multi modded with the £180 saved and have two units.
The build quality of the Sony is very nice and not light like the Samsung 8500.

I've currently got a multi region sony s770, which i will try and sell towards this, as dont really want 2 units.

I've previously owned a Panny UB900 and suffered from the banding issue on 4:4:4 12 bit output.
Not wanting to be stuck with issues I returned it and have been using the only other option at the time the Samsung K8500.
I've never been happy with the Samsung's performance and the controls are worse than a £40 bluray player.
So was eagerly awaiting the Oppo 203, but not prepared to risk it with all the disc issues reported by owners.
So I pre-ordered the X800 from Amazon. Big mistake, found out today they have no stock and don't know when they will have stock. I've now ordered one from Currys which will arrive tomorrow. But doing that means I've now missed out on the two pre-order discs.
I've emailed Amazon for some goodwill but wont hold my breath.

It's good to hear that the Sony has no problems with discs as that's all my player will be doing.

Lee

View attachment 846843 Oh HELLO .... Wonder what this might be ?
I was expecting two packages today a new Sony X800 and Hot Toys Yoda from Hong Kong.
The specs .look far too good to be true, especially at the low price, the video will be very good despite no super bit mapping but how about SACD & CD ?

Last edited:
First of all tried the UHD discs that had problems with the Oppo from day one and guess what all work first time with zero issues.
UPDATES TO FOLLOW.
The Oppo 203 ?

The Oppo 203 ?
Yep the 203 , I paid £730 with the multi mod and this little sweetheart is behaving impeccably compared to the 203 for £410 less cash.
I got the X800 through a friend for £320.
Will now get a multi blu ray with the change and still have some beer coupons left .... happy days indeed.

So I pre-ordered the X800 from Amazon. Big mistake, found out today they have no stock and don't know when they will have stock. I've now ordered one from Currys which will arrive tomorrow. But doing that means I've now missed out on the two pre-order discs.
I've emailed Amazon for some goodwill but wont hold my breath.

It's good to hear that the Sony has no problems with discs as that's all my player will be doing.

Lee

Amazon showing 8 in stock now buddy.

Currys are delivering mine tomorrow. They delivered my LG player just today lol

Amazon showing 8 in stock now buddy.

They are showing 8 for Prime delivery then you go to checkout and they are suggesting delivery will be Tuesday not tomorrow (Saturday)
They have been doing this throughout March showing stock with delivery on the 7th April. I ordered on 19th March and received an email this morning (7th April) saying they don't have stock and have no confirmed date for stock arrival.

This is the email I received this morning.

Hello,

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on March 19 2017 (Order# )

"Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player with High-Resolution Audio and Hi-Fi Quality - Black"
Sony UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disc Player with High-Resolution Audio and Hi-Fi Quality - Black: Amazon.co.uk: TV

We're awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

If you'd prefer to cancel the item, please visit Your Account on the link below:

One of our aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service but in this case, we've fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

You haven't been charged for these items. We don't charge your payment card until just before your parcel is dispatched, at which time we'll send you an e-mail to confirm the payment details, estimated delivery date, contents and method of delivery.

If the order won't arrive by the time you need it, you can cancel the order or an individual item from your order by visiting Your Account, and viewing the order details. As long as the item hasn't entered the dispatch process, you'll be able to cancel it.

We hope to see you again soon.

Lee

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Just had an email from Amazon offering £20 Gift Card and apologies for miss information.

Lee

Does this player have subtitle shift? (I would guess it doesn't, which would be a shame...)

Just watched SULLY UHD and perfect start to finish with zero freezes or audio drops.
An absolute pleasure and superb picture .... really pleased with this little sweetheart and quiet as a mouse.
Will try 4k upscaling tomorrow but think it will be awesome.

looks like sony done the right thing holding off on the release of their Uhd Blu-ray player...looks like the patience has paid off...and to think a couple of months ago people were moaning about the price tag of £400.00 for a machine that seems to be pretty much perfect as opposed to the oppo that seems to have caused serious problems.

Is there a clear indication of what sort of HDR it will support?

looks like sony done the right thing holding off on the release of their Uhd Blu-ray player...looks like the patience has paid off...and to think a couple of months ago people were moaning about the price tag of £400.00 for a machine that seems to be pretty much perfect as opposed to the oppo that seems to have caused serious problems.
If the audio (SACD & CD) lives up to its specs. this is a very cheap player.

This could be the one, I've been holding off the Oppo because of all the reported problems & now waiting for a review of this Sony versus the LG UP970. I have been leaning towards the LG to match my 65E6 OLED TV but so far this little player looks good.

Mine has arrived and is set up. The weight of this thing is very suprising, it must be built like a tank.
Setup was straight forward as long ss you have a grasp of Sonys terminology. Tried some streaming from my Synology NAS (Music) and it's played everything including some hires files I have.
Later I'll do some UHD Bluray and Bluray trials and I also have a few SACD's to try.

Lee

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom